Nugget Shooter Forums

Weeds Abound

homefire

Drizzled every other day over the last week or so. The property is turning green with weeds from Hell. And Wild Spinach. Emmmmmmm Tons of it. https://www.google.com/search?q=nm+wild+spinich+photo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Cost here is .99 a bunch and it takes two bunches to feed one person. I'll take it. Freezing all I can while it's still softpost-21985-0-33095300-1438611024_thumb.jpost-21985-0-74656300-1438611076_thumb.j

:4chsmu1: He's just teasing and thinks salad is for sissies. Got purslane? Edible, too

purslane_500_400.JPG

Edited by weaver hillbille

Hell you can't afford good veg at the store any more. Most of it is GMO and tasteless. Even the Fruit . Look kick butt, big and juicy . NO TASTE.

That's a fact I wouldn't say most of it is GMO, though.

ANything corn, or soy related certainly iswhen in processed foods- even some sweet corn. And sugar beets are now GMO. ...

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"...nine crops are considered high risk for being genetically modified: alfalfa, cotton, canola, corn, soy, papaya, sugar beets, zucchini and yellow summer squash. In the United States, each of these crops is around 90 percent genetically modified. Of these high-risk crops, the vegetables include alfalfa, soy, sugar beets, zucchini and yellow summer squash. Many people mistakenly believe that corn is a vegetable, but it is actually a grain.."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/428500-list-of-vegetables-that-are-genetically-modified/

The problem in the stores everything is shipped green, Now vine ripened fruit is fantastic ! Sure do miss my garden I used to have every Summer. How in the hell did I get so busy or did I just slow down that much :grr01:

Yup... In winter,I cringe when I see tomatos in the store... TAste is nothing like the real thing.

Fruits and veggies should have a resembling fragrance about them( an easy smell to distinguish would be a ripe peach, apricot, plum, cantalope)..... No smell? NOt worth buying.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/08/04/hr-1599-bans-gmo-labeling-laws.aspx?e_cid=20150804Z1_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20150804Z1&et_cid=DM81301&et_rid=1062961117

Yep! Home Grown Tomatoes Burn your tong with taste (Acid , Flavors, Smell and Taste) . Store bought are just wet and mushy. You see plums that look sooo sooo good and when you bite into them ? NOTHING. NO TASTE. WTH? Even the Apples are the same way. I found out that if they have a Sicker on them with a number, there a GMO or Variety bread just for sale. My bet is there a Hybrid and the seeds would not grow.. I know the Tomatoe seed don't grow. We have a Old School Apple orchard about 50 miles from us here. All there trees look Old and Gnarly... We make a point to stop and buy a crate if we ever drive buy. The Store Crap have them Large, Beautiful Colors , Just NO flavor.

Edited by homefire

Nothing there like I have here. Every Wed. afternoon and Sunday morning we have a big covered food fair.

About 100 or so farmers/vendors show up with their fresh off the tree or vine produce.

Know what you mean about peaches homey. Here when you bite into one the jucie runs down the front of your shirt and the flavor

explodes in your mouth.

I'll be there tomorrow!

Homey, Some tom's are sweet if you get the right variety , soil and growing conditions( it's a fruit, technically). One of the most challenging criters to grow.

AS far as the labels- starts with an 8- it's genetically engineered ,,,,,,, a 9-, it's organic...

More here http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/produce.asp

Ripe, hybrid fruit should produce viable seeds, but they will not bear the same characteristics as the parent hybrid.

The "kids" will be a large crosssection of traits from the 2 combined parents that made up the hybrid. If you take seed from that ripe fruit/veggie, selected for characteristics you want( early bearing, shape, taste),, and plant it, grow out and produce more and save seed from thatharvest, after 4-5 generations, you've esentially created your own heirloom seed. THe trick is to use the same seed selection criteria for each generation. Otherwise, your heirloom won't be as stable( produce all the same characteristics).

Yep! Home Grown Tomatoes Burn your tong with taste (Acid , Flavors, Smell and Taste) . Store bought are just wet and mushy. You see plums that look sooo sooo good and when you bite into them ? NOTHING. NO TASTE. WTH? Even the Apples are the same way. I found out that if they have a Sicker on them with a number, there a GMO or Variety bread just for sale. My bet is there a Hybrid and the seeds would not grow.. I know the Tomatoe seed don't grow. We have a Old School Apple orchard about 50 miles from us here. All there trees look Old and Gnarly... We make a point to stop and buy a crate if we ever drive buy. The Store Crap have them Large, Beautiful Colors , Just NO flavor.

Edited by weaver hillbille

You can from ripe cherry toms. At least they let those ripen enough as they aren't so fragile.. THe others aren't ripe if buying out of season from some major grocery, so the seeds aren't developed to maturity, as they should be. Fruit is picked green as it's easier to ship w/o damage... THen they're gassed , sometimes w/ ethylene to quickly, artificially ripen when close to their destination area.

http://www.frontlineservices.com.au/Frontline_Services/Fruit_ripening_gas_-_ethylene.html