Nugget Shooter Forums

Ok all, I crushed 2 out of the 3 specimens. Here is the result. I'm pretty happy with it.

post-22038-0-68787900-1438366892_thumb.j

post-22038-0-03626600-1438367099_thumb.j

post-22038-0-60779600-1438367225_thumb.j

Edited by nugget108
  • Like 4

Yeah, i'd be happy too. Good work!

• Like 1

Oo-la-la!!! What were the sizes of your specimens?

• Like 1

I crushed a peice that was just over 3 ounces and a peice that was about 12 ounces total.

Yes very nice , I'm so lonesome for another hunt that produces some nuggets I could CRY !!!!
Weather please cool down a bit so ol Frank can mozy on down the road.

• Like 1

Wow Dan that is a bunch of gold out of two little rocks. very nice.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Wows!! Specimen gold is the best. So fun running high grade a true joy beyond compare.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Hey Bob, I had a guy cut my big one to see if it would slab nicely but it was ugly haha. So hopefully I can find a nice one to slab.

• Like 2

Congrats! That's some nice gold.

• Like 1

Wow!
Nice bunch of gold out of those species.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder :)
If it has yellow in it I wouldn't care if it was ugly or not.

GL to ya

Tom H.

• Like 1

Ugly? O well crush it! Ive seen a lot of speci that wasnt stable enough to cab too. Hope you find more and I think you will. That's a heap of gold out of a few little rocks. I worked for larger mining companies that had to crush tonssss of rock to get that much gold. hope you find the source too. just a matter of tracking it down.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Yeah me too Bob. That would be great to find the source. I have a friend that found a 25 ouncer that had 6.5 ounces in it. That was a sight to see. It is scattered all over up there.

• Like 2

Dan I was just thinking about when I was up there last and one of the things I noticed about that area is that almost all the speci chunks or speci nuggets that I found were only around an inch to 2"thick max. and there is larger quartz float in the area. that leads me to believe that the veins where getting richer as they pinched into stringers. It seemed the old timers concentrated more on placering than hardrocking the larger veins. If your chasing multiple rich stringer outcrops its going to be a lot harder to track down any single source. I've seen that in many places here too. but as long as your finding chunks like that now and then,cant complain. :thumbsupanim because of the depth of the overburden until its commercially strip mined, that place is one of those places that's just goin to keep producing.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Bob.

The spot I found the speci at 2 weeks ago and the one I found last year were WELL known patches. They were just missed. The first 2 big ones I found this year we're in a spot that has only been tested. The bedrock averages 2 to 5 feet on the slopes and of course a little deeper in the gullies where they ground sluiced. I know there is a good sized speci patch left up there if you can do something with all the brush. The 2 big ones came off a little knob that is heavily covered with sage. I'm getting the details from BLM to price out a bond to do a little push on the claim. Then maybe finding that particular source might be doable. You are correct on that Bob. On one end of the district they basically just placered and the other end they just hardrock mined. Very interesting area for sure.

Great finds Dan. Where you using a Minelab to find the specimens you crushed?

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 1

Yes the first 2 were with the gp extreme then the last couple have been found with the 5000 since the extreme blew up.

Was gold distinctly visible to the naked eye ?

Would a GBP pick up on those specimens ?

Nice work your on to a barrel of nuggies .

• Like 1

Bob.

The spot I found the speci at 2 weeks ago and the one I found last year were WELL known patches. They were just missed. The first 2 big ones I found this year we're in a spot that has only been tested. The bedrock averages 2 to 5 feet on the slopes and of course a little deeper in the gullies where they ground sluiced. I know there is a good sized speci patch left up there if you can do something with all the brush. The 2 big ones came off a little knob that is heavily covered with sage. I'm getting the details from BLM to price out a bond to do a little push on the claim. Then maybe finding that particular source might be doable. You are correct on that Bob. On one end of the district they basically just placered and the other end they just hardrock mined. Very interesting area for sure.

I got a dig and detect approval from the BLM with only a NOI. If you want some info on that PM me

• Like 1

Charlie,

Heck yeah the GBP will pick them up. That's why when I find one I know it has to have a good amount of gold in it for the minelab to pick it up. It's an awesome spot for a goldbug.

El Dorado,

Heck yeah that would be great. I'll pm you tomorrow. Thank you.

Dan,

AzBob mentioned he'd seen speci not stable enough to cab..

FWIW I'd been doing some reading on the cabbing of specimen gold and it seems the usage of epoxy or other adherence materials is an acceptable practice..

Just an FYI..

SA

• Like 1

SA,

You are correct. But the guy that sliced mine said that if you have to epoxy it then it takes away from the value. That's just what I was told. I was hoping it was a good one too. Thank you for the info.

Dan

I agree, good point Dan we used to call it plasticizing gemstones. it started with low grade turquoise. IMO its just not worth the trouble and can be deceptive if somewhere down the line it is not disclosed to the final purchaser.

Here is my tip of the day. If your shopping and lets say at a swap meet you want to know if its real quality or plasticized? just bump it up against your teeth. if it feels soft like plastic or feels hard like glass/hard stone, there you go. not a 100% test on the stone but it will cut out the common plasticized stone.
The process is also used on some lower quality types of wood too. I dont use these in my custom made bowie knives ether. harder to detect in wood, I'm not going to get into that here. :)
AzNuggetBob.

• Like 1

Agreed Dan -- it follows the same principle of thinking polishing a rare coin will make it 'prettier' & worth more, d'oyyy..

And to bring AzBob's thoughts back into the convo on two points, first off he's correct when he says if it's ugly, crush it..

The second though, and here I'm guilty of not being more specific to begin with, is I wasn't talking about trying to make something of low quality / value appear to be more than it is.. I was along the lines of, well, let's say you've cabbed a really nice looking piece of white quartz shot through with Au.. Your intention is to show it loose but ultimately sell it as a mounted ring or pendant, not to sell it as a loose stone to another jeweler.. As smooth as it is it isn't 100%, having some very minor pitting / possible snag points.. At the same time you want to warranty / guarantee your workmanship for X years.. Knowing what you know, do you fill / seal or do you leave it alone and simply inform..?

This is where I am coming from when talking about using epoxy on a speci..

Thoughts, anyone..?

SA

• Like 1

Hey SA, I knew what you were saying. Yeah I agree with the whole smoothing it out with epoxy. I guess I wasn't very clear. I was told by the guy that did it that if it isn't a jewelry quality peice and it required a lot of epoxy or something similar then it wasn't worth doing. I guess there are a couple different ways to get rid of the snags. One is epoxy or similar like we have been talking and one of the others is to smooth the whole stone with a super fine polishing wheel. That's when he said if you can get away from the epoxy, and polish it good with the stone, then that brings more value. BUT im all for crushing if its ugly lol.

Dan