Nugget Shooter Forums

Thought some of you may find this interesting. Photo taken with a microscope of concentrates from dredging, gold and magnetics removed. This material is tiny, size of black sand. Guess they must be garnets, but strange there are no larger ones, Bob

SingleShot0004.jpg

That's really neat stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Garnets are pretty soft and glacier actions grind them down pretty small. We have in calif ,around Coarsegold, some much larger multi colored beauties-John

I cant bring myself to believe that they are all garnets , however It would be likely most of them are. You can tell that many of them were formed that small to begin with, especially the ones with visible C faces. Regardless, they are awesome looking!

Very cool picture........like a Pirates chest of gems

yeah who knows what all you got there. I would say the pinks, reds, and oranges are all garnets (various types..almandine, pyrope, hessonite, rhodolite) I see some likely rutile in there, the green is likely epidote. might have some zircon in there as well....cool pic!

-Dave

http://www.geo.utexas.edu/courses/347k/redesign/gem_notes/garnet/garnet_main.htm

Dave,Thanks for the surfing,

Bryan

garnetrgb.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" ,I would say the pinks, reds, and oranges are all garnets (various types..almandine, pyrope, hessonite, rhodolite)

-Dave

Edited by weaver hillbille

Thanks guys, and thanks for the great garnet info. Spent a couple more days there, got some gold and of coarse

more baby garnets.

SingleShot00101.jpg

I wonder if an optical sorter could work with baublite that small? WOnder what the market is for garnet sand- separated by color?

http://www.mogensen.de/fra/pdf/Optical_Sorting_of_Ceramic_Raw_material.pdf

According to the link 3-5 mm is doable.

SAnd Ceremony anyone??? ANyone?

Juat a wonderin ...

http://www.heirloomhourglass.com/index.html

http://www.heirloomhourglass.com/wedding_unity_sand_ceremony_videos.html

Edited by weaver hillbille

Actually you use glycerine and alcohol to adjust the specific gravity in a container and the junk or the garnets float and skim them off dependent on your needs. Works great for diamonds also in the rough in Sierra Leon-John

yeah who knows what all you got there.

-Dave

Greendave -- had no idea you were on these boards; good2cu out here in the west..!

Actually, finally had a chance a couple weeks ago to visit one of your earlier-life spots.. We were up in Boone just to beat the heat for a bit, not so much to do any prospecting.. We did take a couple rides down the hill though, one of which was out Roseborough to the Forest Service road & 4+ mi down to Gregg Prong at the crossover.. Water was down, you could tell it had been hit hard recently, and we only had a couple hours to pan around anyhow -- which was just fine considering how hot & humid it was.. Nora stayed down by the bridge & I waded on up to the falls.. Many good looking likelies, most of which had already been punched.. Looked around mostly, found a couple nice fat quartz stringers & crevased some secondaries.. Not a lot of color, but some.. Still have N's cons to go through back here.. Definitely wouldn't mind going back when we have multiple days to dedicate to the area.. Nice spot, thanks.. Have a pix or two, but still in cam..

SA

Bob(AK)

Those are amazing garnets. The colors are amazing, especially for a magnified photo. Thanks for posting.

Actually you use glycerine and alcohol to adjust the specific gravity in a container and the junk or the garnets float and skim them off dependent on your needs. Works great for diamonds also in the rough in Sierra Leon-John

Hoser John--

The process you talked about with glycerin and alcohol, does it have another name? I tried looking this up in Google, but couldn't find any info on it.