Nugget Shooter Forums

First gold

Hello all, hope you are all doing well. My wife and I took our 4 kids out camping for 3 days this weekend. We went to our usual spot where we've been finding the coins and the species. Day 1 of the venture was the most productive. I put the minelab away because my 11 year old daughter wanted to try the goldbug for a while. I took her over to the little mound where we found all the chinese coins and buttons. She was detecting and I was running the pick and scooper. We dug a little trash and then right up from all the dig holes from last weekend about 4 feet away she gets a sweet sounding signal. So get it all separated and finally in the cup thinking we got a cool button or a coin or something. NOPE. Out popped a beautiful quartz and gold specimen. I screamed and told her your not going to believe what I have in my hand. So I let her guess for a minute then showed her. She about fell over. The look on her face was so awesome. It was so great being there with her on that. Just got home a little bit ago and weighed it up and it comes in at 3.8 grams. Sweet little specie. I found one the same day a couple hrs later. It was over a foot deep and screamed. Not as much visible gold on the outside of this one like the others but it is HEAVY. To be that deep and blow my ear out like that, I know there is a good sandwich of gold in there. I'll SG test it to get a rough estimate. Nothing on the coin side of it this weekend but my 13 year old boy did score an awesome piece of an old pistol. He was bummed about the coins haha. And like normal my little guy saved everything rusty he found, so he was happy. My wife just found rusty stuff also. Ok well this is long enough. Take care everyone.

post-22038-0-45360100-1437422159_thumb.j

post-22038-0-81581600-1437422288_thumb.j

post-22038-0-40943700-1437422402_thumb.j

post-22038-0-44744300-1437422548_thumb.j

post-22038-0-29956500-1437422615_thumb.j

• Like 6

Wow!
Absolutely awesome time out :)

So cool you guys found gold and relics. I envy you :)

Might be able to run a serial number or some other markings to find out

what that gun part is from.....or im sure someone will post something...heck, they know about

Ball turrets in this forum! :)
Thanks for sharing.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. Yep the serial number is full and intact. It was a good time. Nice and cool.

That is the best thing ever! What a great experience for you to share with her. Awesome!

• Like 2

Awesome finds and a great time! Always great to see kids involved too! WTG!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I hope she keeps that memory with her forever. I know I will. It was a great time and we plan on it again in 3 weeks.

• Like 2

Way to go!! I try to get my daughter into it but with a GPX 5000 (heavy, with shldr harness) it's just not fun for her. A gold bug would be the way to go. Watching her find that must have been priceless!

• Like 1

Yeah that would be a little heavy. I had to really shorten the goldbug for her to where it was almost straight down to relieve some of the weight. It was a very cool experience for both of us.

Dan wow, that is a nice chunk of gold. that is that her first nugget? love that crystallization. you all are havin a blast up there. good luck on more. remember what I said before, slice it dont crush it on the big one.. AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Hey Bob good to hear from ya. Yep her first nugget. Pretty exciting for both of us. I have been looking at rock saws and I might just get one. See what these big species look like inside.

For the first nugget of that size, not sure I'd want to cut it. I think I'd try to clean it or slowly etch it in acid. I'd hang it around my neck like an amulet. See AzNuggetBob's good luck amulet. I'm sure that amulet has powers at keeping the skunk away. We must find more of these!!

• Like 1