Nugget Shooter Forums

Had a great day out with the boys today. No gold AGAIN but we sure cleaned up on the coins and cool little relics. AND finally beat the little coin hog lol. I found 5 including 4 chinese coins and 1 1872 seated half dollar. He found 3 Chinese coins. My little guy found a pretty cool old buckle and alot of rusty stuff, which he loves haha. Pretty good day with 68 degree temps and a few rain showers here and there. Take care everyone.

Dan

post-22038-0-97674500-1436585813_thumb.j

post-22038-0-77707000-1436585863_thumb.j

post-22038-0-43347800-1436585936_thumb.j

post-22038-0-13945700-1436585996_thumb.j

Ya sure, rub it in with those temps :D nice finds. that seated half is a killer find. AzNuggetBob

Bob I'll tell ya, it's very rare to have temps like this for so many days in july. Usually July and August are miserable in Nevada. Not like AZ of course.

Don,

It's an area that the chinese worked by ground sluicing after the white men moved out. It's a HUGE area, about 2 miles worth of ground sluicing. We kinda figured out over the past year that where we find the gold, the coins are up on the benches close by. Most of it was done by research a few years ago for nugget hunting purposes, and then we started finding the coin areas. Yeah my 13 year old and my little 6 year old are detecting little fools. It's hard to keep up with them lol. Usually I don't break away from chasing the gold and leave the coin hunting to them, but yesterday I put the ol 5000 to work chasing coins.

Edited by nugget108

That little tin cup is a exact duplicate of the holders to my ancient Chinese opium scale. GREAT finds---if it can't be gold well by god make it old-Kudos for the tenacity in the heat. That 1872 with wreath is a more valuable mintage, if a CC WOW as only 272,000 minted-fingers crossed for ya-John

Dan, I agree research, its always worked for me too. that's how I plan my road trips. the temps finally came down around here too. good luck on more finds.look out I may be in your neck of the woods soon.or neck of the hills. :D AzNuggetBob

Nice, nice, nice..!!

That is an " S " mint mark on the reverse, yes..?

Liberty completely readable..

Numismatically speaking that's at least a strong VF, looking closer to EF..

I'd put that half at around $200 wholesale..

Great find, Dan.. :yesss:

SA

PS: One word on cleaning: DON'T !

The most I'd do would be a short soak in distilled water to rinse away any loose dirt, then let air dry..

Cleaning, or better put: failed attempts at cleaning, coins with a numismatic value always leads

to a reduction in worth.. Just a thought I felt was worth sharing..

Edited by Swampstomper Al

You are 100 % correct. We will soak the chinese coins in water but the silvers we don't touch. Yes sir it is a San Francisco mint mark. Probably my best coin find.

Edited by nugget108

Thanks Johnno.

Bob, let me know when you make it up. You are more than welcome to join us anytime.

We found 4 more chinese coins today and 5 more of the round shape robe buttons. No silver today.

Will do Dan, thanks for the invite. Im still laying the trip out and upgrading/replacing some equipment. did pretty good on the last trip. I'm going to do the loop again. I'm bringing my Tesoro lobo coin machine too. I've got some trashy coin spots I want to hit again and I never head out without it. I may take the time to magna-rake them out. we can share some spots. I'm going to make sure I leave this trip open-ended. last time I hit a new patch up there my partner and I both had to leave it Sunday night and drive all night to be back home Monday morning for work. it took us weeks to get back up there and hit it again. Ive got a lot of places I want to look at again and some new places too.
AzNuggetBob

Sounds like it going to be a sweet trip.

Edited by nugget108

We'll be out as soon as I sell 421 more pints of

blood to cover the cost of guzzeline both ways..

I'm only at seven to date..

So see ya around 2051 or thereabouts..

Erm, that's the year, not the time of evening.. :th:

SA

Have a great trip! Finding silver coins is almost as exciting as finding nuggets...of course finding a gold coin is the ultimate!

fred

You're absolutely correct, Fred..!

I totally appreciate the fact Ron (CA) & Mark started shooting live video of their relic hunts then post links to the really nice finds here, because had they not been shooting vid no one would believe the night they unearthed not one but three double eagles.. What an amazing find..!

Here's a link to the vid (or possibly the vid itself) for anyone who hasn't seen it:

The first part of the vid has Andrew uncovering nine half dollars and a half eagle..

The second part shows Mark popping three double eagles..

WOW..!

SA

I agree, finding silver coins is very exciting. I still find myself leaving the coin spot and wondering over to the gold areas lol.

I'll tell ya Dan. I would get burned out pounding on an old gold area and switch it up and go coin hunting. dont know why it worked but it did. seemed to clear my head? came back later and started finding nuggets again in an old spot? AzNuggetBob

wow sounds like lots of fun you and your boy's are having, just moved to Reno last year from Arizona and these temps. are amazing! I found one 1902 barber quarter in az your stories have me fired up to go find some coins and nuggets! keep having fun!

Well welcome to nevada. Yes these temps are amazing compared to what we are use to having for nevada in July.

• 4 weeks later...