Nugget Shooter Forums

Just got back from a successful meteorite hunt with Richard Garcia to Yelland Dry Lake. Over 100 degrees made it a little sweaty. But having the quads sure helped, as there was hardly any wind, but riding, we were able to cool off a little. Richard with his great sense, out of the blue, pulls his quad to a spot, and says we need to hunt here, and it turned out to be a great spot. My AT&T cell had 3 bars on the lake, with 4G, but Richard had sprint and no cell.

Pics enclosed,

Dave.

post-1046-0-61182300-1435608949_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-03419500-1435608966_thumb.jp

Wow, great finds! Wish I could have made the trip, got this pesky thing called work that keeps getting in the way...

Nice to know ATT works out there. Verizon definitely did not work there last year!

I bet the quads were great to have since it's like a mile hike onto the lake bed from the road.

You may want to edit out the meteorwrong below the dime, big brother is always watching.

Edited by Mikestang

Nice group. We'll be headed back out soon. Not to Yelland, but the desert. Taking the quad as well.

5f006f935828d1d16280518e9f13e09f.jpg

Need one of these. Go-Ped GTR46R Trail Ripper Gas Powered Full Suspension Off-Road Scooter. A little steep at $1200 though.

Edited by GeoJack

Mike, I'm learning how to flintknap, :)...Geojack that would be a cool little scooter to putt around on the dry lakes.

Dolan Dave and I followed the blow outs to make a number of nice finds.

I recovered 67 meteorite fragments, with a total weight of 346 grams.

My two largest finds, seen in SITU, were a partially buried 50g fragment and

a 37.7g resting atop the ground.

We had a great time and meteorite hunt despite the heat and insect bites. :thumbsupanim

post-3321-0-65498100-1435805882_thumb.jp post-3321-0-95370600-1435805968_thumb.jp post-3321-0-57099400-1435806075_thumb.jp post-3321-0-40981300-1435806124_thumb.jp

Richard,

Do you think there are completely buried finds that a metal detector would see?

Mitchel

Richard,

Do you think there are completely buried finds that a metal detector would see?

Mitchel

Mitchel

Its been tried. Metal detectors don't work due to heavy mineralization.

Richard aka kgmrg

KGMRG;

I see the statement that detectors don't work written by a variety of meteorite hunters, I don't get it...

Heavy minerization is what gold detectors thrive on...coin detectors would suffer but not a goldbug or whites or some Pi machines. Just because covering ground by sight hunting is easier or more efficient does not nullify the use of a good detector...

I have stopped at a couple of dry lakes and played with my detector, it ran fine and would have found any chrondrite in my opinion...and would certainly find an iron or stoney-iron.

fred

KGMRG;

I see the statement that detectors don't work written by a variety of meteorite hunters, I don't get it...

Heavy minerization is what gold detectors thrive on...coin detectors would suffer but not a goldbug or whites or some Pi machines. Just because covering ground by sight hunting is easier or more efficient does not nullify the use of a good detector...

I have stopped at a couple of dry lakes and played with my detector, it ran fine and would have found any chrondrite in my opinion...and would certainly find an iron or stoney-iron.

fred

Fred,

I have tried 3 of my personal detectors on dry lakes, Minelab 5000, Gold Bug II, and Whites MXT, and it is very difficult due to the mineralization like Richard (kgmrg) has stated. You can run the detectors on dry lakes, but you will be digging a Sh_t load of false hits/ mineralization, and it is the same on almost all the dry lakes I have been to in Nevada, and Arizona. I did get the minelab to stabilize out a little better, but had to dull it out big time, and if the meteorite was deeper than 2 inches, or under 25 grams forget it....

Dave

Dave, I hear you and believe that is your experience...I may never prove that to myself as i get bored very quickly on drylake beds, I can go forver hunting gold so I apparently lack enough interest to pursue the matter...on the other hand maybe I will.

good hunting

fred

KGMRG;

fred

Dear FRED

I own a Gold-Bug 2 and a White's GMT. I have enjoyed using both of them while I was hunting with some of the best in the field. I truly appreciate Bill Southern's forum though I have never had the pleasure of meeting him. I can trace my first find, at Franconia, to the help and friendship of Stan Santiago who I met on the Nugget Shooter forum in 2007. If we compare posts on this forum, your experience is obvious and vastly exceeds mine. I do, however, have some concerns about your statement that "sight hunting is easier" and I have been told by many " You're not worth your salt if you can't hunt by sight"

Happy Fourth of July FRED

Richard aka kgmrg

Richard;

No offense intended; that is my lazy thinking and lack of clarity. By easier I really meant more efficient for covering the maximum ground for maximum recovery. I won't pretend that i have expertise in the field of drylake hunting just a idea that lake hunters might be missing some goodies by not swinging a detector as they wander along...maybe we will meet up some time and give it a go!

best wishes

fred

Richard;

No offense intended; that is my lazy thinking and lack of clarity. By easier I really meant more efficient for covering the maximum ground for maximum recovery. I won't pretend that i have expertise in the field of drylake hunting just a idea that lake hunters might be missing some goodies by not swinging a detector as they wander along...maybe we will meet up some time and give it a go!

best wishes

fred

Fred

I would like that. Perhaps in November.

Clear skies and good hunting,

Richard

Hey Fred,

I have found meteorites on dry lakes in three states. Even had one classified. I have tried

different detectors on some dry lakes, but never had any luck. I'm not an electrical engineer,

or a detector designer, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the accumulated salts

that are found on, and in, the beds of those playas. There maybe a dectector that will work.

Conversely, there maybe some rare dry lake without the monster mineralization. It is possible,

but I haven't had any luck that way. I hope you find something that works, and then let us know

your technique.

Good Hunting, Ben

I

Ben, hows it going with you and Eric?

If I were as smart as you I would have thought about that-

I had not considered the issue of mineral salts combining with the other mineralization...a very good point! I sold my 5000 so I can't give that a go in salt mode...

I will give it a try with the gpz some time...it does not have a salt mode and is very different from the Pi's...

The real problem is that I would rather find/hunt gold with my time.

fred

Fred,

I have tried in Holbrook with the 5000 and could not get it to work. I know what they are talking about but I just didn't know if it applied to all dry lakes.

It seems that many have tried and few have succeeded.

As far as I know the only post I have ever seen where someone said they found meteorites on a dry lake bed and then found more nearby with a metal detector was Chris Coffee.

Chris, are you there? Can you tell us how you did it?

Mitchel

Chris did it at Stewart Valley in one specific spot near the edge. He had found a few right there and was able to use his detector to locate a couple more.

I've tried my GB2 on a few dry lakes and could never balance it to where it became useable.

Edited by Mikestang