Nugget Shooter Forums

Can't wait to try!

Hello all!

I've been lurking on this site for awhile and took the plunge. My first serious metal detector, GoldBug Pro, arrived a few days ago! Well, there is only so much fun to be had in the backyard with it and I'm ready to get out and have some REAL fun. I've been researching a few areas, and have some places in mind for weekend trips. I really would like to make a day trip tomorrow or Saturday and was thinking about going around Wickenburg, would that be good for a first-timer to break in a new machine? I'd like to avoid bullet wounds, are most active claims marked? what should I look for, I don't want to disturb anyone's work. Also, is it unrealistic to expect to find a couple of multi-oz nuggets my first time out? Lol

Edited by nugglyboy

I hope you bought your detector from Bill and he would take you out and give you training.

If you didn't then you should join a club and go to their claims. If you can't do this then you can research the internet first.

Be careful if you work a day job inside. You could die in this heat on the weekend.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Above all be aware of the heat factor.
Goin out with somebody that can help you out with the GBPro would be a step in the right direction also.
Learnin the machine is half the battle.
Like Mitch says above here clubs are a good thing to help get started.
Hapy Huntn :head::D

• Like 1

Well, I am one of those rare few, native Arizonans, and have spent my entire post-high school life working outside for a utility company, so I've got that part covered. I'll look into the local clubs, as suggested, and thanks for for your time.

Nugglyboy- I know this is a little late but for your next adventure, try to check www.mylandmatters.org. While the maps are not the quickest, they are good for determining lode claims and placer claims in an area. Use this along with the LR2000 database and you can quickly determine if there are claims in an area. This will at least keep the lead under your detector. Much safer than whizzing by your ears due to accidental claim jumping.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Join this club http://www.weavermining.comthey have some claims around the famous Rich Hill near Wickenburg.

I started with a Gold Bug Pro. It's a good introductory detector and is still good for hunting for small, shallow gold on bedrock.

Ray Mills practically wrote a whole book about it which I would recommend reading http://www.trinityau.com

It took me almost three years and three different detectors to find my first nugget. Gold is not easy to find, that's why it's valuable. But if you're motivated enough and you do your research you can find it.

I've been to Rich Hill twice, once with my SDC 2300 and then with my GPZ 7000, and I found gold both trips. It's out there if you're willing to work for it.