Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi,

I'm from Germany and coming to the Southwest US next week, basically for photography.

But I would really find one meteorite myself one day, even it is a small and common one.

I think the Southwest is one of the best places where I maybe could find one and I would like to spend 2-3 days for meteroite hunting.

I researched a lot and I think dry lakes are a good place to go. My only concern is that they might have been oversearched already.

I also know the area where the meteorite men found hundreds of small meteorites - I would be satisfied with one.

Do you think it still makes sense to go there? I know the location but it is 5 years ago.

How is the chance to find one - especially there?

I have perfect eyesight, magnet and I am willing to spend two full days in the heat.

Anyone been there recently?

Other hints?

Regards, Tom

The wind and weather is constantly changing the surface of Dry lakes...the wind removes the surface dust and exposes new rocks all the time. Some of the posters on this forum work dry lakes frequently...

anyway, you have as good a chance as anyone to find a meteorite...

Holbrook is not a drylake but there are still meteorites there...waiting...

fred

Hi Tom,

What Fred says is good advice. It does not matter how much material has already been found previously

on a stranding surface, because deflation is an ongoing process. I have yet to see a strewnfield or a dry lake

that is "worked out".

Good Hunting, Ben

Hi, Tom. Right now might not be the most advisable time for a novice from temperate Germany to be hiking through the deserts of the US southwest. Temps are over 46*C regularly and they go higher. You won't find a single dry lake that's not at least 40*C. Unless you are used to these temperatures and experienced with dealing with them they can be very hazardous, even deadly. Mix that with a rental car of unknown capability and you have a recipe for potential disaster. For example,

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/living/travel/article2573180.html- 'Death by GPS' in desert

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029970/Two-tourists-killed-heat-stroke-getting-car-help-California-desert.html- Two tourists killed by heat stroke after getting out of car to go for help in California desert

http://www.thelocal.de/20091114/23273- Death Valley skeletons solve riddle of missing German tourists

are just a few stories you can find without trying very hard, and there are many more.

If you go somewhere, do not go alone, bring many gallons of water per day, and protect yourself from the sun. This doesn't mean wear sunscreen, it means cover yourself completely with appropriate clothing.

Edited by Mikestang

Spend lots of time in a dry sauna to practice and test your endurance.

NO junk food/sugar- it depletes electrolytes/causes imbalance leading to cramps/heat exhaustion/stroke.

Add some good sea salt to your water.

I make up a saturated solution by adding 1/2 cup(~125 ml ) seasalt to a liter jar of water. CAp and Shake it up.

What salt doesn't dissolve will settle to the bottom of the jar. What is dissolved is a saturated solution.

One teaspoon( 5 ml) of this solution to a liter of water is balanced for your body to use, easily, w/o too much trouble.

Needed to replace what you sweat out- expect 2 gallons day minimum for drinking.

If you drink just water, you will quickly lose salt and start to notice cramping when your salt stores get depleted enough.

Don't forget the sunscreen, good sunglasses and big straw hat to provide shade and cooling when you pour water on your hat.

DISCLAIMER:

THE above is my opinion. PLease don't take my word about salt- research it yourself .

. Everyone is different. I think I can handle more salt/need more salt than the average guy. SOme people may retain more salt than others. If you start to notice headache/hear your pulse in your ears, that's a good indicator that you've overdone it/ drank too much. Sip frequently small amounts,

NOt medical advice.

tom1973, on 16 Jun 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm from Germany ...

I am willing to spend two full days in the heat.

Other hints?

Regards, Tom

Edited by weaver hillbille

Mike Stang is right.

We stay off of the dry lakes and out of most of the desert and we live here.

Please schedule your trip another time of the year. If you come in November we will help you find a meteorite.

Mitchel

Hi,

I'm from Germany and coming to the Southwest US next week, basically for photography.

But I would really find one meteorite myself one day, even it is a small and common one.

I think the Southwest is one of the best places where I maybe could find one and I would like to spend 2-3 days for meteroite hunting.

I researched a lot and I think dry lakes are a good place to go. My only concern is that they might have been oversearched already.

I also know the area where the meteorite men found hundreds of small meteorites - I would be satisfied with one.

Do you think it still makes sense to go there? I know the location but it is 5 years ago.

How is the chance to find one - especially there?

I have perfect eyesight, magnet and I am willing to spend two full days in the heat.

Anyone been there recently?

Other hints?

Regards, Tom

Tom,

The meteorite men hunted Yelland Dry Lake in Nevada right next to Ely, NV. You can still find tons of meteorites there. Right now the weather there is 85 degrees, while its 105 in the deserts. If your headed there, good luck, the small town of Ely has lodging, gas, ect.

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

Yelland is still cool, but it is very remote with no cell coverage for many, many miles. Not a good place to go alone for sure, just ask Richard. :desertsmile:

Hi. Thanks for the information so far.

I am pretty aware of the weather conditions, I am coming almost every year in summer to the SW deserts for photography.

I am also concerned about the conditions, it's not the best thing to go out there alone, but believe me I don't take too much risks.

I don't leave the roads with the car, I have plenty of water with me and much more in the car and I don't go too far from the car.

Unfortunately I can only come in summer.

But one think I am not so sure is the location. I researched a lot and I dont't think the meteorite men went to the Yelland dry lake in the dry lake episode.

If the maps shown during the show were not faked it was another dry lake in the area according to google maps research.

Maybe they have shown wrong maps there. Maybe you have more information?

Regards, Tom

Tom, generally you cannot depend on the maps and locations referenced in that show...nor would I depend on their metal detecting skills as shown...it is a television show!

Anything Mike says is GOLD...

fred

You don't say were your going! Here in New Mexico we have a number of dry lakes between Lordsburg and the Az border.. All along I-10. Morning hours are good. If you start out at day break and work until 09:00 or so you could be ok. Lots of water and a tarp for shade if bad things should happen.

In the show they use google maps and mark their search areas.

I found the location shown in that episode further west.

It's a dry lake north of Eureka. If they really went to the spots marked in the show it was there.

I did not figure out the name of that dry lake.

In general - I can go everywhere in the SW.

But I will start in Yosemite for photography - then most probably I will go White Sands and Bisti Badlands this time.

But everything is open - I did not book anything except Yosemite.

The lake they showed on Google in the Dry Lake episode was not Yelland, it was another lake. You can find Yelland dry lake at 39° 21.760'N 114° 25.330'W. It's a couple hours drive outside cell phone reception and you'll never see another soul driving around out there, so if you break down and are alone be prepared to spend a day or more hiking out to get help.

zmbhpk.jpg

Edited by Mikestang

If it was the dry lake episode with Sonny, it was Yelland Dry Lake. Always safe to bring another vehicle/ person when hunting remote area's. There are farms around the outskirts of the lake. When I hunt alone in remote area's I bring my quad in the back of my truck. Also carry a spot satellite emergency messenger/ locator. No risk no reward... Hope you find some.

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

I'll be headed out for my first dry lake bed hunt next week. West of Austin. Some fools on three wheels and a sail invited me out for a sail and I figured I'd hunt some stones at the same time.

39°19'16.35"N

117°28'51.85"W

New tires on the quad and I'm ready.

Downloaded the files for Nevada here

Edited by GeoJack

If your going to AZ first and heading to White Sands you should stop in here and have a Root Around.

post-21985-0-12751000-1434641698_thumb.j

I'll be headed out for my first dry lake bed hunt next week. West of Austin. Some fools on three wheels and a sail invited me out for a sail and I figured I'd hunt some stones at the same time.

39°19'16.35"N

117°28'51.85"W

New tires on the quad and I'm ready.

Downloaded the files for Nevada here

I'm going out that direction this weekend, not the same spot, but close, good luck!

Yelland is a great spot to hunt been there more then a few times. As of my last trip I had very good cell service all over the lake. It's much cooler up there then down south. Just make sure to let someone know that you are out there and bring lots of water.

Yelland is a great spot to hunt been there more then a few times. As of my last trip I had very good cell service all over the lake. It's much cooler up there then down south. Just make sure to let someone know that you are out there and bring lots of water.

I'm going out that direction this weekend, not the same spot, but close, good luck!

Yep, n of that location is where we will be next Friday / Saturday morning. Good luck to you as well. Let me know a good spot to park my trailer and unload the quad.post-25522-0-81656200-1434723988_thumb.j

Edited by GeoJack

Have a great time GeoJack! Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you find some metoerites. My back is finally starting to feel a little bit better. Looking forward to getting together for a hunt!