Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi,

I'm from Germany and coming to the Southwest US next week, basically for photography.

But I would really find one meteorite myself one day, even it is a small and common one.

I think the Southwest is one of the best places where I maybe could find one and I would like to spend 2-3 days for meteroite hunting.

I researched a lot and I think dry lakes are a good place to go. My only concern is that they might have been oversearched already.

I also know the area where the meteorite men found hundreds of small meteorites - I would be satisfied with one.

Do you think it still makes sense to go there? I know the location but it is 5 years ago.

How is the chance to find one - especially there?

I have perfect eyesight, magnet and I am willing to spend two full days in the heat.

Anyone been there recently?

Other hints?

Regards, Tom

Tom

Send me your email address via messenger.

Richard aka kgmrg

How did you manage cell reception there? The nearest repeater is over the mountains near Ely I think.

Got me the first two time I had nothing but the last time I was there had fair signal most of the time. I have ATT

Edited by peakbager

Being first to hunt a drylake is essential' Best to keep the sun at

your back and use your eyes... Walking is best and make sure you are

on a drylake and not a wetlake... Today with the drought drying up

what has been normally a wet playa has opened up new finds... Most

are (aeolites)stoney chondrites... The Yelland field is a great find

for ELY (my home town)as with Kennecott coppers smelter and concentrator

gone and modern technology the area is depressed... jim

Yep, n of that location is where we will be next Friday / Saturday morning. Good luck to you as well. Let me know a good spot to park my trailer and unload the quad.attachicon.giflake.jpg

Look for some quads, and a white Ford F-150, and Maroon Jeep Wrangler, also Channel 15 on radios.

Dave

Look for some quads, and a white Ford F-150, and Maroon Jeep Wrangler, also Channel 15 on radios.

Dave

Are you and Richard going to Yelland this weekend? Good luck!

Four hour drive, flat tire just before we reached the playa. Went to town for a spare then back to the playa.

First time for us, we loved it and will be back. I guess I have a bunch of meteorite wrongs on my hands but will still go back and take another look. We were only there less than two hours.

Edited by GeoJack

Homefire, it was a micro downburst, radiated from the center outwards with high winds. The wife has a better video but you could see the dust cloud moving away from the center.

Edited by GeoJack

Just got back from Yelland with a successful hunt with Richard Garcia. It was still hot there, 100 degrees at a 6500 foot elevation in Ely, NV. AT&T Cell phone had 3 bars all over lake, with 4G, and worked great. I think Richard had Sprint, and he didn't have any cell.

Dave.

Mike, we watched the cloud come up from the south and as soon as it hit the lake bed it collapsed. Wind was spreading out in a circle, went from about 5 knots to over 40. Truck is an extended cab long bed and it was moving pretty good parked.

Picked up about 40 stones from the lake bed, nada, zilch, zippo space rocks. Well, at least none of them are magnetic.

Edited by GeoJack