Nugget Shooter Forums

GPZ Gold in CA

Did some detecting yesterday with the GPZ in an old Hydraulic pit in California. Dug a lot of bullets and square nails, but also got this guy, a nice 2.5 gram nugget.

It was surprisingly deep, around 9 inches. The ground in the pit was very quiet.

My question is, how come its OK for hunters to spray lead everywhere, but miners are bad because we dig for gold?

post-187-0-36945700-1434221742_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

:brows: Because hunters are getting sustenance and miners are just greedy "golddiggers".

YOu asked...

:4chsmu1: Nice gold ya got there, Digger

Edited by weaver hillbille

Unless the hunters were eating clay pidgeons, I dont think they were shooting for food. It was target practice.

Matt - let me know when you have a chance again.

Edited by Reno Chris

nice gold Chris...

the days of shooters legally spraying lead everywhere are coming to an end...almost every place I formally could target practice is closed...

not that i have done much shooting lately

hope you and your Daddy are having fun..

fred

Edited by fredmason

Unless the hunters were eating clay pidgeons, I dont think they were shooting for food. It was target practice.

Matt - let me know when you have a chance again.

Great point I hadn't considered.

Don't ranges ,nowadays, have bullet traps with hepa filtration?

So you go out to a place like that, shoot 50 shotgun rounds having a bit of target practice, each round has 100 little bird shot pellets, you just sprayed the pit with 5,000 pellets. It takes maybe 3 minutes to dig each pellet, so it would take three 8 hour days of digging pellets as fast as you can to clean up the entire place. They also shoot bullets, each bullet frags into 3 to 5 pieces - 100 rounds of target practice means maybe 400 lead bullet fragments.

You can easily see how a few guys doing target practice now and then can really mess up an area for prospecting.

Nice find Chris.

One answer to question: lead bird shot outlawed; now steel. the 22 cal cartridge

short and long casings are everywhere as 22's have been popular over 100 years and

many shooters are too lazy to police and recycle the brass, or later steel casings.

Also there are many larger caliber casings from handguns and rifles. Many old spent

casings have been squashed/bitten by some animals that have been attracted to the

spent powder smell... Hey I have even dug highly collectable Henrys.