Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone else smell like a skunk today?

TomH

Yup.....2 in a row :)
Dad and I decided to hit a new area that looked really good. Its sandwiched in between areas we have gotten gold out of in the past. Welp....didn't happen today! Found lots of really old lead and that's about it.

The dang washes were sluice boxes with the fractured bedrock running for yards. They did catch the heavy stuff, but it wasn't yellow heavy stuff.

Added a lot to my bullet fragmentation collection.

Did find a interesting piece of steel.

Looks like some kind of a access panel for something. A little bit of white paint on it. The nuts on the fasteners are cotter keyed.

I donno....anyone know?
It was pretty toasty by 11 today so we headed out smelling a skunk and smelling like a skunk! :)
Tom H.

post-25308-0-26031100-1433721491_thumb.j

post-25308-0-74426500-1433721497_thumb.j

• Like 1

That same skunk was over my way also. Even at dawn !!

That might be the door to a wood burning, pot bellied stove?

Pat:

Its stamped steel, real thin.

Bout 18"x20"

Tom

At least you got out young man

:) yah! Its all fun.

Tom

It looks like the utility access door to the storage compartment

holding the crates of boxes of ammo from which your plate of

instructions about how to properly load the machine gun

ammo belts fell out of the sky off of one.. Or something.. :4chsmu1:

SA

• Like 1

Great photo's of it. I dont know, hard to say? even though it is small based on the size of your feet?, and its rusty, it could be an old emergency escape door from a Soyuz rocket. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Tom,

Don't think you got the skunk. That panel is the access hatch for a Sperry ball turret off of a B-17 Flying Fortress. That's a pretty rare find. If you found it in the Kingman area there was a mid air collision between a P-39 and a B-17 during WWII it may be from that. Pretty cool find.

• Like 3

ball-turret-up-top.jpg

Give that man a cigar! You may want to report the gps coordinates to the authorities to update their crash report.

Or not...

WOW!

Thanks for the info :)

And to think...our boys had to squeeze into that ball and face death like that.Man what

those guys did for us!

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 2

Jack:
I also found this about 20 feet away from the door.

Tom H.

post-25308-0-95654200-1434831640_thumb.j

Edited by TomH

Tom,

Don't think you got the skunk. That panel is the access hatch for a Sperry ball turret off of a B-17 Flying Fortress. That's a pretty rare find. If you found it in the Kingman area there was a mid air collision between a P-39 and a B-17 during WWII it may be from that. Pretty cool find.

Great ID Desertpilot!!

Here's a video that shows how small the Sperry ball turret was and also it's firepower, man I'm not claustrophobic, but I think I would be in that turret, especially if I was being shot at by the enemy, Kudos to those brave men who climbed into those turrets!!!!

My neighbor spent his time in one of those as a young man during WW-11 in a B-17. He had his thumb and finger almost shot off by a Messerschmitt over that fuel depot city in Romania. They patched him up and he then got the honor of flying in a B-29 where the guns were computerized and all he had to do was point and pull the trigger. The ship was also pressurized which the B-17 wasn't and was much more comfy. Ahh the wonders of modern warfare.............................

Old Tom

P.S.

What I should do is wrap up that door hatch and give it to him just to see his reaction when he opened it up. Then again maybe I shouldn't, he still has his Colt 45 they issued him. How that fit in the ball with him I'll have to ask him, I don't think he wore it in there much less a parachute.