Nugget Shooter Forums

Lynx camp out

TomH

Posted Today, 07:11 PM

Hey all:
Welp, got up to Lynx lake area on Fri morning, set up camp, did some detecting, found some old bullets/miners stuff and just basically junk. Its a hard area. There is gold in there, but your gonna work for it!
Did a little crevising and found a few flakes. Cleaned up the camp site, sat down for a few cold ones with Arctic Dave and proceeded to relax. Well..........Then the gang bangers moved in and decided that everyone likes their kind of music.....after about a half hour of that crap I had a "short" talk with them asking them to turn it off with them telling me there are no rules up here... and realized I left my BAR and 50 cal. at home so we just decided to move out.

Went back up to the top and found #1 campspot was open.
Its the cats meow! Nice and quite. Couple of cars from walker road, but not crowded and peaceful.

That was the ugly.

Now for the good smile.png
Hit some spots on the west side of walker road. Found some really nice trash
Really old bullets, all white with corrosion. A live 22 that's been in the ground so long it was corroded through the casing, and some kind of red rock with carving on it. Looks like a piece of steak! smile.png Don't taste good though. At least I got into some washes that have not been hit in a long time.

Did a lot of relaxing this weekend. We don't expect much out of this area...just a place to go and cool off and relax.

Cool looking split pine trees all around.

Met up with Artic Dave, Luke/Mike/Adam (Ahorton) and a guy from Paulden that showed us some really nice gold hes found this year

After a feast of Pork bulgogi, Kimchee, and bean sprouts we lit the fire and enjoyed the night.

My hunting partner AKA Dad...was kind of stuck in his lounger smile.png

The elevation change does have a effect on you...little harder to hunt up there

Did some exploring on Sun, looked at Smelter hill and went up around potato patch then headed back home.

It was a great time out in the cool weather. Bout 85 for a high up there and 105 down in the valley EWWWW
Tom H.

post-25308-0-36819000-1433211185_thumb.j

post-25308-0-64320700-1433211194_thumb.j

post-25308-0-84916800-1433211201_thumb.j

post-25308-0-82751400-1433211211_thumb.j

post-25308-0-96901000-1433211218_thumb.j

post-25308-0-62835900-1433211232_thumb.j

post-25308-0-30077500-1433211242_thumb.j

• Like 3

It was great seeing you guys up there! Wish we could have stayed longer... Weather was pretty nice.

I had a nice hike around the area. Found all the usual suspects, brought home the skunk. :idunno:

Looking forward to the next time... :D

• Like 1

Adam, I think that they might be all dead inside that tent. The way they were acting I think that they might have overdosed and are still there. There are some strange ones out there, you have got to be prepared for anything.

Old Tom

• Like 1

Hey Tom,

I was up there too, making repairs to our cabin in Walker (26 years). It got up to 79 for a high ,but like you said,

much nicer than Phoenix. Everybody and his Brother has hit Bigelow Flats, but I am more interested in less likely

areas, because of a few guys who were "pocket hunters" and did well at it, well after the big gold rush was over for

the area, during relatively modern times. And those guys didn't have detectors, so all of us have an advantage to use.

Good Hunting, Ben

And to my knowledge, the only 20 ouncers found, was in the 1860's, but I have seen a 2 ouncer, and one

just under an ounce found with a detector, and an ouncer that was panned. Yes, panned. I personally, have

panned out a pinto-bean-size piece. Not bad for an area worked off and on for 152 years.

Edited by Regmaglitch

Hey Tom,

I was up there too, making repairs to our cabin in Walker (26 years). It got up to 79 for a high ,but like you said,

much nicer than Phoenix. Everybody and his Brother has hit Bigelow Flats, but I am more interested in less likely

areas, because of a few guys who were "pocket hunters" and did well at it, well after the big gold rush was over for

the area, during relatively modern times. And those guys didn't have detectors, so all of us have an advantage to use.

Good Hunting, Ben

And to my knowledge, the only 20 ouncers found, was in the 1860's, but I have seen a 2 ouncer, and one

just under an ounce found with a detector, and an ouncer that was panned. Yes, panned. I personally, have

panned out a pinto-bean-size piece. Not bad for an area worked off and on for 152 years.

I kind of figured that area was hit hard. But, I don't really know the lynx area so this was just more of a camp out and if any

gold was found it was a bonus :)

I know of a 3 oz nug that came out of the upper big bug area......still have it! :)

Tom H.

• Like 2

Adam,

Potato Patch is just over the divide from Walker on the headwaters of the Hassayampa. It is also where the Walker Party

of prospectors wintered before they made their big gold strike on Lynx Creek in 1863 or 64.

Ben

Adam, I recall you were in the " PahTaaTow" Patch ... Yep, remember it well ... Good job and funny pix for the folks ... I liked the one with the donkey, tho' the monkey one was cool too ... More pix, Dude... Just keep'm GP ... :evil1::brows: ... Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Today, 07:11 PM

Hey all:

Welp, got up to Lynx lake area on Fri morning, set up camp, did some detecting, found some old bullets/miners stuff and just basically junk. Its a hard area. There is gold in there, but your gonna work for it!

Did a little crevising and found a few flakes. Cleaned up the camp site, sat down for a few cold ones with Arctic Dave and proceeded to relax. Well..........Then the gang bangers moved in and decided that everyone likes their kind of music.....after about a half hour of that crap I had a "short" talk with them asking them to turn it off with them telling me there are no rules up here... and realized I left my BAR and 50 cal. at home so we just decided to move out.

Went back up to the top and found #1 campspot was open.

Its the cats meow! Nice and quite. Couple of cars from walker road, but not crowded and peaceful.

That was the ugly.

Now for the good smile.png

Hit some spots on the west side of walker road. Found some really nice trash

Really old bullets, all white with corrosion. A live 22 that's been in the ground so long it was corroded through the casing, and some kind of red rock with carving on it. Looks like a piece of steak! smile.png Don't taste good though. At least I got into some washes that have not been hit in a long time.

Did a lot of relaxing this weekend. We don't expect much out of this area...just a place to go and cool off and relax.

Cool looking split pine trees all around.

Met up with Artic Dave, Luke/Mike/Adam (Ahorton) and a guy from Paulden that showed us some really nice gold hes found this year

After a feast of Pork bulgogi, Kimchee, and bean sprouts we lit the fire and enjoyed the night.

My hunting partner AKA Dad...was kind of stuck in his lounger smile.png

The elevation change does have a effect on you...little harder to hunt up there

Did some exploring on Sun, looked at Smelter hill and went up around potato patch then headed back home.

It was a great time out in the cool weather. Bout 85 for a high up there and 105 down in the valley EWWWW

Tom H.

That sure looks like a nice ribeye there Tom. In fact, I thought that's what it was when I walked up. Enjoyed hangin out and shootin the breeze.