Nugget Shooter Forums

Dang it....

Went and got hot in the Big AZ and that means detecting is somewhat undoable at the ripe age of 59 :th: Unless one goes North and worst part is the dang gnats and flies are just as bad both places so gonna do research and pout some :old:

Come on out to the beach Bill!

Leave your detector at home. I want to have things left when you go back to Morristown. :D

Mitchel

Bill...........we must take it easy from now till Oct. Its getting dang hot down here!
Yah, so you go up North, its cooler....but! as I found out this weekend...... :idunno:

You have deep gullys...with mountains in between that are choked with manzanita instead of rolling hills with washes. OH plus...4000 feet higher and you have to stop and rest every 30 yard going over the mountains :th:

The bugs do seem to think your nose and mouth are a great place to set up camp.

It is cooler up there though and quite enjoyable to just sit around and chill!.....and find bullets/tin/odd things. :yesss:
Tom

Edited by TomH
  • Like 1

From now until October is beautiful this far north. The high temp is supposed to be in the low 70s at the patch I am heading to tomorrow with my GPZ. In addition, there are shade trees in abundance and few flies or other insects.

I know folks who are kind of backwards snow birds who live in warmer climes in the winter, and flee the excessive heat to cooler locations in the summer.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 1

I know folks who are kind of backwards snow birds who live in warmer climes in the winter, and flee the excessive heat to cooler locations in the summer.

I don't know anyone like that.. :rolleyes::25r30wi:

SA

:old: DEtect by the light of the FUll Moon( and a few headlamps).

Why no one has put lights on a detector coil yet, I'll never know.

• Like 1

DEtect by the light of the FUll Moon( and a few headlamps).

Only way I even consider hitting beaches here in summer..

Moon alone actually better'n with lamp until checking a find..

Can understand why prob not as safe / fun in desert environ tho..

SA

PS: Pls send us 2 brick-fired pizza from T'bird, 'k tnx.. Veggie is fine.. :ya:

Oh ,I think you can drop a dime.

THey do have good pie, though!

928-427-9494

http://www.tbirdcafe.com/

SA

PS: Pls send us 2 brick-fired pizza from T'bird, 'k tnx.. Veggie is fine.. :ya:

• Like 1

Bill - with all the great weather, I also tried to fight the heat a while and go to the Abbie claims. I just didn't want to give in to the summer. Same darn gnats! :) And a skunk. But I loved the geology in that area. Just a lot steeper mountaints.

You could always head South. June is the best month in Brasil.No rain, temps 80-60,bugs not too bad. Next week I will be headed for the hills for a a couple of weeks for what may be my last beeping for quite awhile.

• Like 1

Andyy--I did enjoy the Abbie series claims out in by Black Canyon City. I did not find much except some flower gold and what seemed like pounds of lead in the form of bullets. On one of those GPAA claims, I did manage to get a sluice going in the winter time when the river was running, although it was only a brook. Its odd. Normally that place is dry but does have standing pockets of water year round, but I was up 20 feet in the banks and saw flotsam from the floods up in the trees.

• Like 1

Hey Bill, those head nets make it hard to see rattlers, so be extra careful ... Mine is green and blocks vision a lot ... Been thinking about getting a tan one ... They work good on the bugs though... Cheers, Unc

Mitchel, I have one that there is no way I could see fine gold with , or as uncle Ron says see rattlers... The idea is to get the best vision out of one, and it this scenario, I wouldnt get the cheapest one. Thats what I did and I regret it. It works great on bugs though , and If I was in a open flat area , it would be fine....

Edited by adam

Guys ... I use a almost black one I got at an Orvis Fly Shop ... for the uninitiated Orvis is a fly rod manufacturer and has a few shops where fly fishermen congregate to tell stories and lies about huge trout caught on a hook covered with feathers and tinsel! This is what I have:

http://www.orvis.com/p/bug-bucket-hat/4g70... maybe a little pricey compared to the $5 version at Wally World but believe me when I say it is the best investment I ever made to keep knats, blackflies and mosquitos off my face and out of my mouth, nose and ears. This hat is better than "Old Woodsman Fly Dope" ... for those who don't know this product it stinks ... literally ... the smell is so bad no one not wearing the stuff can stand next to you. It was made originally with camphor and creosote oil and it worked better than any of the current repellents on the market.

Hope this helps.

Mike F