Nugget Shooter Forums

Whites TDI-Sl owners..

I recently bought a TDi-Sl. I wanted to get the most out of it I could, so first bought a Whites 2200MAH NiMH battery pack. Then decided I wanted an RNB 3100MAH pack and charger. Before spending the money on that, I went looking for posts, on various forums, trying to find info on the battery voltage at various hours of use. Never did find anything, so once I had the battery, I did a test. For those who are interested, the chart is below, along with a chart for the 2200MAH Whites NiMH pack.

Fresh off the charger, the voltage is 12.56
1 hour 12.00
2 hours 11.63
3 hours 11.30
4 hours 11.01
5 hours 10.77
6 hours 10.50
7 hours 10.07
I quit at 7 hours. The voltages are no-load voltages...probably somewhat less with the TDI-SL running.

I also have a Whites 2200MAH NiMH pack. Here are the voltages for it.
Fresh off the charger is 11.57
1 hour 10.39
2 hours 10.28
3 hours 10.08
4 hours 9.87
4:45...low battery light came on...8.5 volts
Jim

Jim,

I recently acquired a White's SPP. Which is a simplified version of your SL.

There is a TDI Tech forum and a fellow by the name of Reg frequents that site.

There are several long winded discussions about batteries for the TDI series detectors on there...

I first, did the 9-cell mod. Which basically adds one more AA battery to the 8 cell pack. Keeps the voltage in the favorable range for a longer period.

Also makes it heavier.

After a lot of reading, I bought the parts I needed and constructed a 4 cell Lithium-ion battery that fits in the modified battery box. I have a balance charger and I am able to monitor the charge cycle and the discharge cycle. The way I understand it, is that my detector consumes .5A. So I set the "charger" to discharge the battery at .5A. I get 6.5 hours between 16.4V and 12V. I also got a chance to try it out last weekend and it was closer to 5.5 hours of actual run time before I pulled it when it got close to 12V. You have to be careful that you don't run the Li-ion batteries too low. They suggest 3V per cell, hence 12V. This pack is 3.5oz lighter than the 9 cell pack and the 9 cell barely starts out at 12V. According to Reg, "TDI Guru", the extra voltage increases the depth capabilities. The TDI series detectors can handle a wide range of voltages. At 18V+, however, you'll let the smoke out. So know what you are doing before you do it.....

The lithium cells I used were Panasonic 3400mah and purchased from Amazon. The rest of the components and the charger were also purchased from Amazon.

I'll try to get some pics up here.... soon

Luke

Many thanks, Luke. The Whites 2200 NiMH is a 9-cell pack. But it tops out at about 11.5 to 11.7volts. But, I've found that the extra voltage, above the nominal 1.2 volts/cell, is mostly a "surface" charge...it goes down to 10.8 volts pretty quickly in use.

I hope you'll do an article on the 16V battery setup....I'd like to build one.

Jim

Here are the pics...

I'll try to put something more detailed together in the near future.

I got info on how to build a Li-ion balanced pack on Google. There are pictures of wiring diagrams.

Once you get an understanding of the wiring, it's actually quite simple. Then I just removed some plastic 'webbing' from inside the battery box until my pack would fit. It's snug, but it fits. You can get an 'extra box' to play with on Ebay for like $15. I use an Imax B6 charger, that was like $30 on Amazon.

Luke

post-27491-0-20474800-1431750075_thumb.j

post-27491-0-31035000-1431750107_thumb.j

post-27491-0-35649400-1431750126_thumb.j

post-27491-0-84303700-1431750143_thumb.j

Nice battery pack Luke,

There is also a timing mod that can be done on the Whites TDI along with tdi folded coils which make the machine run a lot better.

Dave

Thanks Guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... :4chsmu1:

Dave, I think the mod you are referring to is the one that lowers the pulse timing to 8 micro sec. There is a fairly current discussion about that on the TDI forum.

I've been looking at those 'folded' coils as well... :D

Reg Sniff has been involved with the White's TDI since it's conception.

This includes bits and tidbits of knowledge gleaned from Eric Foster.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd sure like to know where i went so wrong I owe anybody an apology. I simply posted the voltages I got after running the SL here in my basement. I have done nothing to fault John, or his info....what's up with owing him an apology? I also have no idea why he's upset with me. John, if you're after some sort of credit for doing your testing, that's fine. I didn't post my info to get credit...I posted it because I thought somebody might bne able to use it. You'll note that John's testing gave the overall runtime, as he experienced it, while my testing gave the voltages at each hour of use...not at all the same. It took me several hours to get the info...so what's the problem? I also disagreed, openly, about the voltage capability of the NiMH cells. Note in my results how fast the initial voltage, fresh off the charger, dropped to 10.39 volts. Compare that to the .21 drop from 1 hour to 2. That extra voltage above 1.2v/cell is a "surface" charge, and drops much faster than the voltages from 10.8 on down.

Jim

Also, I'm sorry if I was wrong about the number of cells in the White's pack. I thought I saw a post somewhere, while researching before buying, that showed the pack with 9 cells in it.

Jim

I'd sure like to know where i went so wrong I owe anybody an apology. I simply posted the voltages I got after running the SL here in my basement. I have done nothing to fault John, or his info....what's up with owing him an apology? I also have no idea why he's upset with me. John, if you're after some sort of credit for doing your testing, that's fine. I didn't post my info to get credit...I posted it because I thought somebody might bne able to use it. You'll note that John's testing gave the overall runtime, as he experienced it, while my testing gave the voltages at each hour of use...not at all the same. It took me several hours to get the info...so what's the problem? I also disagreed, openly, about the voltage capability of the NiMH cells. Note in my results how fast the initial voltage, fresh off the charger, dropped to 10.39 volts. Compare that to the .21 drop from 1 hour to 2. That extra voltage above 1.2v/cell is a "surface" charge, and drops much faster than the voltages from 10.8 on down.

Jim

Jim Take no Notice of that Rubbish , when I was editing my Post I deleted what I was trying to say and now It does Not Make sense, Sorry about that

I HAVE reported my post TWICE asking for it to be Removed because it is Not factual and It is Not Fair on you,

So I am Sorry about that but I made a mess of the what I wrote Again I am sorry about that

John

I'd like to set the record straight. John is right....the White's NiMH pack is 8 cells. I was wrong. Other than that, the voltages I gave, at the hours of use shown, are correct. You will note the 11.57 volts off the charger drops to 10.39 volts in just 1 hour. You lose 1.18 volts, pretty quickly. After that, the voltage drop becomes pretty linear down to 8.5 volts.

John...don't worry about that post. Sometimes a little ruckus is needed to get the facts out, and that's what this did. I wish I knew where I saw the pic of the White's pack with 9 cells, but I did see one.....maybe it was a custom. In any case, see above....LOL

I used the SL for 3 1/2 hours the last 2 days, using the "reidman" 4 cell Li-ion pack. Fresh off the charger, it was 16.82 volts. I just checked it, and it is 14.41volts. Not bad, at all. This is defintely the battery to use. No memory, very little self-discharge, and full voltage. Sadly, that full voltage didn't find me any nuggets...Ha!

Jim

John i have removed your post as requested, I check the forum as often as I'm able, but due to work and just life in general I can't be online at all times, but I do check the forum every morning, when I return from work and before bed at the very least.

Skip

I'd like to set the record straight. John is right....the White's NiMH pack is 8 cells. I was wrong. Other than that, the voltages I gave, at the hours of use shown, are correct. You will note the 11.57 volts off the charger drops to 10.39 volts in just 1 hour. You lose 1.18 volts, pretty quickly. After that, the voltage drop becomes pretty linear down to 8.5 volts.

John...don't worry about that post. Sometimes a little ruckus is needed to get the facts out, and that's what this did. I wish I knew where I saw the pic of the White's pack with 9 cells, but I did see one.....maybe it was a custom. In any case, see above....LOL

I used the SL for 3 1/2 hours the last 2 days, using the "reidman" 4 cell Li-ion pack. Fresh off the charger, it was 16.82 volts. I just checked it, and it is 14.41volts. Not bad, at all. This is defintely the battery to use. No memory, very little self-discharge, and full voltage. Sadly, that full voltage didn't find me any nuggets...Ha!

Jim

So Sorry Jim, I wrote a very long post and I Hi lighted it and I thought I clicked Copy but I hit delete and then the software timed out and would not let me In and I was searching for my post but I had trashed it,

OOOPS, sorry John :tisk-tisk: , Welcome to the forum! :4chsmu1:

I do apologise to everyone, I am using one of them small rubberised Keyboards and the keys don't always write what I am typing, it took me about 45 minutes to re type and the corrective words it put in so I decided to that it would be a good Idea to copy and save what wrote and I hi lighted it and hit delete indstead of copy and deleted it and it all went down hill from then on,

I am not the best with these things even on a good Day,

Again Sorry Jim.

Archived