Nugget Shooter Forums

A little help...hopefully.

Alright everyone, yesterday while out detecting my extreme started doing some goofy stuff. I was hunting for about 3 hrs when it just flatlined. So I turned it off thinking it was a battery problem. Went and got my other battery and it did the same thing. Then it started fluttering in the threshold. I changed my power cord to my new spare, tried my spare headphones and also changed coils. Then it went to normal then started fluttering again. When it does this I have no control over any of the settings or controls, just a constant flatline or flutter. Then I would turn it off and back on again and then I could hunt again. Please tell me one of you guys know what's going on. Thanks everybody.

Dan.

Howdy Dan, sounds like you have taken all the steps to determine you may have an internal problem with you detector. That said I have heard of someone fixing a similar issue by carefully removing the nut where the power cord connects and also the one where coil connects to check wire connections there. there was a lose wire at one of his connectors inside the box, a little solder and fixed.... Not sure if that is your issue, but perhaps worth a look as having it shut down and back on by itself will lead to more issues. Not sure who in the USA works on them now, but there are options in AU where you can get repairs and even an upgrade. Perhaps someone else can help more and good luck....

Similar problem on other SD's an GP's the connections at the control box and or coil cable /batt cable ends usually like Bill suggested. Most can be repaired by owner.
Hopefully this is your trouble and not something else.

Thanks guys. I pulled it apart last night and looked for anything obvious. I did find a pinched and almost broke in half wire for the tune button. I snipped out the bad section of wire and repaired it. All happy thinking I found the problem, that wasn't it. I'll dig into again today. Tax season is a long time away to wait to buy a new beeper lol.

Dan

Bad news. The Gp Extreme is smoked. Talked to minelab yesterday and i explained to him the issues and he said the circuit board is going bad and they can't do any repairs. So I bought a brand new 5000 from my friend. Gonna miss the Extreme a lot though. Now I might need some pointers on the 5000. Thanks guys for the tips.

Edited by nugget108

Thanks Frank. Still gonna miss that ol machine. Haha it was my first minelab and it was good to me for the last 9 years or so.

That 5000 is night and day advanced over the Extreme ... get some training or read carefully between the lines in the manual. Be sure you learn to use fine gold and sensitive extra timings as those two will get you most of your 5000 gold. Good luck with it.

Mike F

Thanks Mike, I'm sure there is a big learning curve over the extreme. SA I was perfectly content with the ol Gp Extreme haha. But figured why buy used so I went new.