Nugget Shooter Forums

Well the old gold bug definitely has been saving my rear this year but the ol Gp Extreme finally came through today. Got up to my spot today with my little guy and my friend. The first area was fruitless so we moved up the draw a little ways. I was detecting an old working that the old timers chased a shallow quartz vein and just piled it up in small piles along the test trenches. I was pulling out blasting caps and nails like crazy, then I got a nice sweet mellow hit. Down a little over a foot I finally got the target out of the hole. I pinpointed it in the pile and started running the dirt over the NF coil. I grabbed one of the rocks that came out of the bottom of the hole and it screamed in the headphones. I checked it over the coil a few times and came to the conclusion that it was definitely my target. I bounced it up and down in my hand and got a huge smile. I could see a few small pieces of gold showing so I dropped everything and met my boy and friend at the truck. After a little water and some scrubbing more gold showed. I knew there had to be more in there than what was showing because the minelab picking up that deep with what was showing was impossible. Got home and cracked it open and WOW. There is well over an ounce in it. It is by far my biggest EVER. What a beautiful find.

post-22038-0-08808900-1431577009_thumb.j

post-22038-0-53935600-1431577106_thumb.j

post-22038-0-00147000-1431577217_thumb.j

• Like 8

Man that is nice!
Bet it would look really cool with the face polished up :)
WTG! :yesss:

Hope you find more in that spot.

Tom H.

Thanks guys, been a long time waiting for something with some size to it. I have 3 pieces of it now and the smallest peice is 3.17 oz. I have to get a bigger scale today then I will do a specific gravity test and let you guys know the outcome.

Dan

• Like 1

A question for you guys. I know how to do the Specific Gravity test for gold in just quartz. But this speci has the gold and quartz sandwiched between the host rock which is mainly rhyolite. How do you test that? Or can you even do it? Thanks guys.

Dan

Dan you are into portions of a hardrock vein. There could be more

that has been overlooked. Frankly there is no way you will be able

to get a accurate sg. sample of the gold content, other than crushing

and panning. At this point I would shift my activity to tracing the

vein. At this point... Silence is GOLDen jim

• Like 1

I believe you are correct Jim. This is my second quartz speci of any size from the same area. The last one was the size of a soda can but only had 7 grams of gold in it. This was a little bigger than a baseball but is loaded with gold. My last one was pretty much Electrom. It had a pretty high silver content but this one is very pretty yellow gold. Thanks Jim.

Awesome!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

27.6 grams of contained gold in the speci. Looked like more with the naked eye but still very happy with it. Thought Ide let ya all know. Hope your all having a great Memorial day weekend. Bless all you who have served and who are serving now. Thank you all.

Dan

Wow, awesome find. It's interesting to see dirty quartz / iron oxide(?) on the specimen. I am always looking for that dirty quartz. That's a really good example and nice find. Big congrats!

• Like 1

Yes it is very mineralized quartz. The area I hunt is loaded with it so you have to hunt it slow so you don't miss a peice. Not the prettiest stuff but hey its AU.

Great find, Dan.. :yesss:

May I borrow these two photos to share on another prospecting board..?

There's a thread running about gold in quartz that has some questionable

photos.. I'd like to show them the for sure real deal as found by a known..

Thanks,

SA

Not a problem and thanks for asking.

• Like 1

They aren't the best photos and it's not the prettiest piece of quarts with gold.

They aren't the best photos and it's not the prettiest piece of quarts with gold.

Hmmm, you're correct..

So go get a macro lense or a loupe n take better pix right now..! :WOW:

j/k of course.. They're absolutely great as examples satisfying my intended usage..

It isn't about "pretty," it's about provenance -- and these perfectly fill the bill.. :4chsmu1:

Thanks again,

SA

• Like 1