Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone seen bee swarms in the Wickenburg area?

Heard of a couple of prospectors at the LSD had a swarm fly by them quicker then they could do anything. As I was leaving, I turned my truck on and wasn't swarmed, but hundreds of them started to fly around my diesel. I waited a couple of minutes, and they disappeared as quickly as they appeared. I heard the bees in the trees for the last couple of weeks and they are louder than I remember them the last three years.

Yep, the bees have been swarming in Wickenburg for the past two weeks...I've had to chase two swarms from my house ... They were trying to nest under our hot tub and then under the gable of our roof ...Quick little spray and they left .. Be careful out there! ... They are more dangerous than rattlers! Cheers, Unc

Most are Africanized now and can be quite nasty if provoked. Try to avoid them. I used to haul them by the truckload and was the only one in the fields without a bee suit. They won't bother you if you are not nervous most of the time, they smell fear. (Adrenalin)

• Like 1

Thought I'd revive this thread since I recently ran into bee problems. So I was on an early hunt and morning came around, and with it the sun, or course. And then I start to sweat, a little more and a little more. Well the bees aren't stupid. They come out and want to land on you for a drink. Now I'm not afraid of bees or getting stung but it got so annoying swatting them away, that I eventually cut the day short just due to their annoyance. Swatting away bee after bee just takes away your focus. I've never had that happen before. I guess I could just ignore them and let them land on me until all you see is a detector and a walking bee-hive, but I just haven't gotten to that point yet.

This was my kid two years ago. All he did was walk buy.

post-21985-0-34524300-1438885106_thumb.j

Walking by a hive that's africanized can be a death sentence.

I've had swarms fly through our property in POway a few times over the years.. Spooky sound, then you see them. I just crounch down :th: and try to slow/stop my breathing for a few seconds as they past.. CO2 can set off a bee as can fear, already mentioned,..

I've had to get rid of a couple hives using cold soapy water spray-gently at first, then a bit more pressure as they start to succumb.

First need to soften up their defenses with plain cold water spray over the hive for a few minutes. THey go into shock from the chill- soapy water spray can then be

( more safely) applied.

A pump sprayer with an adjustable nozzle to squirt long distance is a must.

:old::old::old: And only do this at night! Never during the day. And never if you haven't researched it yourself- don't take my word for it.

All the above goes out the window for an established hive of Africans. THey can be aggressive when threatened from a farther distance away than the distance you can spray.

I learned all this from the COunty( SAn DIego) and a couple beekeepers. Here, they've hybridized with more native bees ( farther away fromthe source)so they aren't as aggressive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andyy said," And then I start to sweat, a little more and a little more. Well the bees aren't stupid. They come out and want to land on you for a drink. "-------------------

-------------------------------------

I've had that experience with swarms of paperwasps, but not bees. Talk about pesky!. After a half day of nothing but swatting at tehm with anything we could swing, we beat feet for a motel. Camping isn't always fun. They never seemed to get PO'd- they'ld just fly away a bit and call a few of their friends over in the process.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

FOrgot a few things. ..............................

Black is not a safe color to wear- might as well wave a red cape in front of a bull. White is best for safety..

Perfume is advertising you're a flower...

- ditto for flowery print shirts or dress.

Homefire - I'm sorry to hear about your kid. My daughter was stung once and is deftly afraid of bees, now. I couldn't imagine all those stings.

My father inlaw runs a bug business and was spraying a customer. He saw a grouping of bees and suspected a hive and stayed away. That didn't matter. They chased him back into the vehicle after stinging him a dozen times. You just don't want to mess with them.

Weaver hillbille - I hate all wasps. Even the single ones seem to have an angry disposition. Those little bastards can hurt ya too.

Edited by Andyy

Yep, you need to pay serious attention to the Bee's these days. In just the last few years here around town we have had Dogs killed or blinded about 7 times. Folks Hospitalized about 10 times. Nothing to mess around with.

As for the Kid, we keep a Epi Pen Auto Injector at his school, in the Car and at home.

Edited by homefire

I was trying to steal some honey last spring from a wild hive like I have done many times before. I have learned to park the truck several hundred yards away. Well when I got to the hive the bees were on me. They got so bad I could no longer see through my hood. At this point I decided this hive was not worth it so I walked away. The bees followed me to the truck. Then for another 45 min walking circles I thought they left. The second I took my hood off I got stung on the neck. After it was all said on done it took an hour for the bees to leave me alone. I never even touched the hive. With out my suit I would have been in the hospital or dead. Like I said I never touched the hive I could have just as easily been hiking with my wife and kid. So be careful. You don't have to mess with them to get into trouble.

Edited by Cowkiller

Most bee`s will leave if you just politely ask them to.....

• Like 1

Unless you're sweet as honey, like me :4chsmu1:

Over the years I've walked by dozens of hives in the desert without any problems. Of course I just leave the alone. The only time that I've seen Americanized bees is here at home, at least that's what the beekeeper said. I must admit to being overly cautious when my kiddo was smaller while out in the wilds, if you're a parent you'll understand. From everything I've read swarming bees are not looking to attack, just looking for a new home. And my experience supports this, seen a lot of swarms but never had any issues with them.

That goes for bees that are foraging, too.

It's just when you invade their space( can be hundred yards or more) or make loud noise (even farther away) that a hive can get very defensive.

THere are " guard" bees that hang out around hives that will hit on you/bump into you/fly agressively around you when approaching a hive that's on a territorial bent.

Don't ignore it.

swarming bees are not looking to attack, just looking for a new home. And my experience supports this, seen a lot of swarms but never had any issues with them.

• Like 1