Nugget Shooter Forums

Technology once again changes the game

Well my friends I am gonna make a short post about Minelab's newest advance in technology Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT) and to start off I will say these new detectors are amazing and almost as big a jump in ability to locate gold as when the PI was first introduced for nugget shooting. Yes I am a dealer so some will instantly attribute my post as bias and designed to sell detectors and so be it, but those that know me know better. This new technology has forever changed gold nugget hunting across the world!

I was very happy with the SDC 2300 and still like this unit as well though it did take a bit of getting used to, but once I did I was amazed at this detector's ability to find gold and the quality of the signals when one did get over a target as there is no mistaking it. Then the GPZ 7000 came out and the whole game of nugget shooting is forever changed. Even with my GPX 5000 I was not making the number of finds I am now of gold nuggets of all sizes from dinks to around 1/4 ounce and I am also digging many deep trash targets in pounded patches which means it is only a matter of time before I tag a nice lunker. The nice thing for me is I am getting gold almost every trip these days and some nice nuggets to boot that were in many cases simply not hearable with my GPX.

I will also say Minelab was very conservative on their estimate of 40% deeper in some cases....

Is it worth the investment for a serious nugget shooter? YES! In my opinion......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to say Bill...

Definently a yes for the serious nugget hunter.

After seeing some of the deep species/dinks the 7000 is pulling up,

its like you say, just a matter of time before someone gets a big ol lunker! :)
Hope its YOU
GL to ya

Tom H.

It is very impressive. The fact that you are pulling pieces from well pounded patches is proof in itself. I was thrilled to be able to scrape enough money up to get my SDC 2300. It might take me awhile before I can drop that kind of dough on a 7000. I will have to see how well I do this summer...who knows?

I've been hearing similar things from plenty of guys that aren't selling anything Bill. Sounds like a much bigger step-up than the various models that have come out in recent years. I just wish they would focus on discrimination at some point. I know that will be the natural progression of things... depth interests me less than having some sort of disc. I'm a pretty young guy but I can still only dig so many holes in a day.

I'm hoping Fisher will make a gold bug 7000. A 3 grain piece at 14 inches!!

While I can appreciate and understand your thinking along this line, it's slightly askew..

What you really want is better ID at 14", not better tiny laser-like accuracy..

Assuming Fisher already has the technology today to do what you ask, IMHO

the board most likely would vote against installing that capability..

Why..? Because if you dug down 14" to come away with only 3 grains

you'd throw it against the nearest rock face, followed by your detector..

It's a twist on the ol' 'risk = reward' sensibility, in this case being 'effort = reward'..

At some arbitrary depth, which is different for everyone, the "inverse square" rule

comes into play: The deeper you go the bigger the prize..

Using the example of you already know the target is 3 grains of 85% gold at 14" in

hardpack, I'd say nearly nobody would dig it even with gold at 10K/oz.. It simply

wouldn't be worth the reward for the effort (and time) involved..

Hmmmm -- this was supposed to have been a humorous one or two liner; how

the heck did I get sidetracked into this analysis..? :idunno:

Point being though is we know what you mean..

So yeah, me too :4chsmu1:

SA

SA... I fully agree with you... There are now many who are willing to pay big bucks to find shallow bits

of gold specks... And hope to find a clunker at three feet. But just to find a bit of placer gold is the name

of the game... Gold fever does not drive you; but you are many of those who are willing to pay big-bucks

to own a detector that can find gold are happy to do so... the same reasoning goes to a race car driver or

a golfer or any other competitive sport...

I fully understand why anyone is willing and happy to lay out big-bucks. Hey there are coin collectors

as an example that are willing to pay $millions to own a 1973 Carson City non arrowed dime... How

about stamp collectors and others willing to pay $$$ for the shoes that were worn by some well known

sports-star...?

Is this a fad? But today it is a passion and its far better(!) than getting stoned on drugs or being filled with

road rage or becoming another mad-bomber... ??? To me in my elder-years this makes sense...

And I do not disagree with any of the posters on this thread... But at the same time I would like to add:

keep being aware of the big picture; ie, racial problems, discrimination, global weather changes, greedy

polititics and gun-crazy policemen and as my grandfather told me to be square with your fellow man...

And I will add; Please do not ignore any of the negative acts that is causing the breakdown of society that

will eventually consume and even destroy us... I do not want to sound like a Preacher but God Bless Us All...

tailgate

Bill;

I think the 7000 is a wonder! The smallest "nugget I found last week in nevada was 7/10ths of a GRAIN...the biggest deepest nugget I found was at least 18 inches and weighed 2.83 DWT...someone had started digging and gave it up as ground noise. My last detecting day I found 10 bits on a patch that I was assured had been pounded by the finder and others. These 10 were found in salty, wet varible ground amonst the moans and groans...the biggest was about 1 and 1/2 dwt at at least 12 inches-maybe 18 inches.

All that said there is still plenty of gold to be found with any of the previous Minelabs, the tdi and vlf detectors. So, for me the money was well spent; I don't have to worry about getting profit on a toy.

fred

post-378-0-51395500-1432215696_thumb.jpg

Nice finds Fred and I agree, I am well over an ounce with mine now and have only weekend time to hunt. I amazed by this new detector!

The gold specific Pulses that are being manufactured by Minelab are now awesome.

Their ability to find a small chunk of an old Over-Looked epithermal hosted eluvial

free-milling placer by being able to detect the literally dozens of small

sub-grain individual 'bits' really raises the bar...

If I was still physically able to actively swung the 7000 and re-hunt the epithermal

precious metallogenetic free-milling hit and miss patches that are still Over-Looked

Open Ground and still to be found in the outlying fringe areas within the Great Basin

and Range Province of the North American Cordillera which includes the Great Basin,

Mojave, and Sonoran Deserts.

I would start in the Randsburg Greater Area and then to the Lovelock/Imlay areas...

Gosh I would become a tramp prospector-miner... Hey maybe I can still be able to

do a little at my tender age... Hey my family is raised and I am a widower but then

it is wishful thinking... tailgate

If you could sample for a pay streak of finer gold through 14 inches of overburden it would be well worth the trouble of digging up the little guys. If you're strictly a nugget shooter then it would probably be troublesome but if you like to drywash or sluice it could be a very useful tool in locating concentrations of fine gold. I personally wouldn't throw a 3 grain piece away no matter how much work it took to get at it haha...

It is very impressive. The fact that you are pulling pieces from well pounded patches is proof in itself.

Hi Dave Ive been pounding old patches for over 20 years now and still walk away with gold point being its not just the new techno that should be getting credit for the finds do to it being that much better than the older series but the truth is no one ever gets it all-I swung a old modded sd 2000 for years and was kicken some GP butt with it-Bill and others can verify that :4chsmu1: -Bottom line is just like the old football saying goes (on any sunday) the nuggets will either speak to you or stay quiet- to many variables to say it was found because of the new deeper beeper when a dino SD-GP or Gpx series might of found it as well :tisk-tisk: we'll never know because no side by side was done on the undisturbed target :idunno: PS its not like the new deeper beeper is cleaning up and finding numerous pieces in old patches the other beepers left behind-heck for 10 K it should be leaps and bounds above the last gen beepers-the only advantage that Ive seen first hand is the 2300 will see species that the 5000 wont so I assume the 7000 will also see them-but the test I did the 5000 hit way better on the 2 solid gold peices but my 5000 wouldnt even peep over a little specie the 2300 sreamed on- so theres the trade off-so just how many specie or spong gold nuggets are there in most patches-I dont know :arrowheadsmiley: -----Just my 2 cents worth-Still not impressed Mike C... :200:

Mike, you are right. I've seen it first hand. Watched a friend pull a sweet 4.6 gram chunk out of the middle of a pounded wash...with a gb2. There is no possible way ANY detector could not have heard it, but the desert is so big and the coil is so small. The operator is still the crucial factor in success, but an experienced operator with deep pockets and a 7000...will be a dangerous combination.

I like my 2300. I knew I was giving up the larger deeper pieces when I bought it. I gained a waterproof, go anywhere detector that hits hard on most gold. That's what sold me. I needed a waterproof beeper. If you don't work in the rain back in Alaska, you waste half the summer screwing around in camp :)

I just got back from the 16-1 mine. Went there to see if I could score on some good material. Dave informed me that they just hit a 50 OZ pocket. Was not their well know "A" grade because of the arsinopyrite and not pure white bull quartz. Some was certainly good enough. The most interesating part was that they just bought a GPZ and credited this find to that detector. He also said that they blasted out aother strong signal, but have yet to muck it out. I sure hope its full of "A" grade........ Guess they paid for that detector with just one signal.......They are looking forward to finding much more with the GPZ. Only complaint was the weight and having to use it up walls and overhead.......

El D, they need a driller and a shaker team...one to carry and one to hold the other's arms up...the zed is very heavy...

Mike...a correction, it was only nine bits on a well pounded patch about 60x60 feet...but, I won't waste my time trying to impress you. You would have to go over your own patches with a zed before you would believe the difference-if you could be convinced, which i doubt.

fred

Hi Bill,

My finds have gone up dramatically also with the GPZ. I have 124 nuggets for a total weight of 43 DWT's, well over 2 ounces. All the nuggets were from old patches hammered by fully modded SD 2100's and fully modded 3500, Gold bug II, a GPX 4500.

I average 7 to 9 nuggets per trip now and the biggest nugget found was a 3.2 DWT at around 18 inches. It was hard to measure because it was in a steep bank that the other Minelabs will warble with the coil turned up on that angle.

I really like the new 7000, the only draw backs are it's priced to high and it's to heavy... which is fine by me because there will be way less GPZ out in the field.

Mike C will have a hard lesson learned if a GPZ shows up on one of his patches. Being the nice guy that I am I'd be willing to give him a free GPZ demo on one of his most hammered patches, the only thing he has to lose are the nuggets he left behind. :sickbyc: He doesn't need to worry about me sneaking back I have more ground than I can cover.

post-400-0-62261000-1432427479_thumb.jpg

El D, they need a driller and a shaker team...one to carry and one to hold the other's arms up...the zed is very heavy...

Mike...a correction, it was only nine bits on a well pounded patch about 60x60 feet...but, I won't waste my time trying to impress you. You would have to go over your own patches with a zed before you would believe the difference-if you could be convinced, which i doubt.

fred

Hey Fred just from past experience with earlier minelabs each one was just a little better than the last not even close to leaps and bounds so I find it hard to believe that the GPz is that much better certanally not worth 10 K better-but hey as long as it works for you thats all that matters and it seems like it is-By the way nice gold :head: Mike C... :200:

Mike C will have a hard lesson learned if a GPZ shows up on one of his patches. Being the nice guy that I am I'd be willing to give him a free GPZ demo on one of his most hammered patches, the only thing he has to lose are the nuggets he left behind. :sickbyc: He doesn't need to worry about me sneaking back I have more ground than I can cover.

PM me when your ready :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

I still have much to learn about my amazing 7K, but so far it has shown itself to be a nugget killer at least at the micro end of the spectrum.

Mike, I agree; the price is high but the increase in proformance is at least equal to the double the price-increase. You and Russ have fun!!!

fred

Hi Fred I have no doubt that its better than the 5000 on specie or spong gold just look at Russes :head: Buttttttttt I feel that minelab is taking complete advantage of the consumers-(Mining the Miners) it just makes me sick even though minelab is the top dog in the gold game right now and man are they proud of it- I sure hope the rumer of a new fisher PI is true and if it is it wont even come close to the over inflated price of the 7000 plus they will probably offer upgrades for them as they did with the F75 series for a fair price without raping you for another new beeper :thumbsupanim . Now if Russ will just PM me I'll take him to a well pounded patch which I still manage to get gold at-but Ill be following him with my 5000 switched off and when or if he gets a signal before its dug he'll shut his off and I'll flip mine on and check it as well then we'll dig it up for the reveal :old: Mike C... :200:

Archived