Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nugget108

Gold bug 2 repairs.

I think it's time to send the GB2 in to get repaired. It's getting a little noisy and the connection where the coil connects to the box screams at you when you touch it wrong. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your machine back and how much it usually costs to tune one up? Thanks everybody.

Fisher took just under 2 week turn around from sending to receiving when I sent my GB Pro ... They are very quick.

Mike F

Great, thanks Mike. I kinda wanted to hold off until it gets cold because I don't want to lose my little gold getter but I might have to. Thanks for the info.

Yup about 2 weeks. Probably going to run you 100-150$. Have you pulled it apart yet? It could be a pinched wire.

sounds like a short in the connector housing....unscrew it and take a close look...

fred

Yep I agree with Fred, and Fisher is fast 10 to 14 day average

Great thanks guys. I'll check for a short or bad wire.

Get yourself some Deoxit and Deoxit Gold. Spray both the box connector and the cable connector with Deoxit then push it in and out a few times. Then spray Deoxit Gold and wipe off the excess. Put it back together and the problem should go away.

Just sent mine in last month, got it back in 2 weeks, was making strange noises and sounds while swinging, they replaced the speaker and gave it a checkup for $75... good service.

Dave

Ron

I will give that a try. Anything to be able to keep my beeper for the summer.

Dave

Good to know, thank you.

WAIT a minute as if your unit has the metal spring stress relief THAT is the shorting problem at least 90% of the time. With use and flexing it slowly moves into the plug and shorts with motion. Just slowly UNSCREW IT AWAY FROM THE BOX and your problem should disappear . Some folks pull but I go slow in reverse to get it back in place. I've personally fixed many 100s of all brands of detectors that use that specific stress relief. I'd get at least 4-5 a week when in the biz and clubbing it. Posted it here also and many folks happy as saved $$$ as worked just fine for them also-John

John you might be on to something. Last weekend I taped it tight to the shaft right at the spring because I was bumping it and it would blow my ears apart. I'll check that also. Thank you.

Edited by nugget108

Have you tried using a different coil? I had that problem a few years back and it was the coil ... Sent it in to Fisher and they replaced the coil (for free!!!) and had it back within a week ... That was when it was in Los Banos before the company got sold to Texas... Cheers, Unc

Well inside the plug for the coil there are 2 prongs. They look like maybe ground prongs I think. Well one of them was kind of flat and not making a connection. I popped it up a bit and pulled the spring out more and it seems to have fixed it. We will see. Thanks everyone for the ideas and info.

• Like 1

:thumbsupanim GO GET SOME :head: John