Nugget Shooter Forums

New to Rocks & Minerals

Hello,

Ive been collecting meterorites and stones I'm new to this field, my grandfather and I have decided to start collecting stones and carving them into things. Hes a retired floor guy and he cant carry his tools around to

do work anymore he pretty much likes to play on POGO so I think this is something he can work with tools he already knows and can just keep them stationary at home. I grew up on a ranch in Texas and as a kid id

go around smashing rocks to see the sparkly stuff inside so recently went back and got one and cut it open...what is it? Also Id like to add that we live near an inactive volcano here in Central Texas its 75 late

cretaceous period

post-27581-0-11560700-1430682809_thumb.j

Check around for a small local yokel rock club(they are about everywhere) as you'll learn so much faster,meet many great like minded folks,gain access to more places and get to spend prosperous time with him. Kudos-John

I can't say for sure without seeing it in person, but your rock looks like it might be a low grade petrified palm. There are a few features in it that look like palm roots. It might also be an orbicular rhyolite, but I think it's more likely to be some sort of fossil. There's just too much going on for rhyolite in my opinion.

Edited by d_day

I'm willing to cut and ship any rocks,minerals or fossils I find for free to anyone who can Identify any finds I get. I'm a service man for central tx and I roam around alot. The land in central tx is very diverse, now that I've gotten this new hobby I'll be picking up rocks everywhere around here :) . Thers this town in particular that I'd like to get a few samples its called Red Rock, the land goes something like clay/dirt to white sand to red caliche I'm about real sure I'll find something nuts there. Right now supposedly the residents are saying Tarantula season is here and they come out by the thousands within a few miles radius. Such a bizarre town.

• 3 months later...

I'm late to this game but the sawed end shows lots of cross sections of bivalves (claims) & mollusks (snails); so it’s either a fossiliferous limestone (maybe fresh water variety) or a silicified limestone, which would explain why it took so long to cut; then maybe the saw is old and needing refurbishing. It will make some nice tiles when polished and sealed. Love the nice patina around the edge of the rock.