Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin 20TH Anniversary Meteorite Hunt

I was with Stan when he found his first Franconia. wow memories.

It is a good detector , all ready trained...LOL

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of us who will not be camping will be at Canyon's End motel in Meadview, my detecting partner Don and I will of course be out in the field to hunt and join in the Fri. and Sat. festivities. If anyone needs supplies or anything during the weekend from the "town" of Meadview, my cell is 520-780-0530. Can't wait to see everyone.

Twink

well, sorry to say I will not be in Gold basin for the meteorite Outing. Best wishes to all that attend.

I will be at Bill's outing the weekend prior...

fred

f

Fred

Sorry to hear you won't be out with the meteorite hunters this coming weekend. I personally think you didn't want to share your chili with us.

Good hunting,

kgmrg aka Richard

The Gold Basin 20TH Anniversary Event is days away. I hope all who plan to attend have made preparations for the weather. The 10 day forecast is clear skies in the 60's during the day and in the low 40's at night. Remember to bring all you'll need to survive a dry camp weekend. For those thinking of taking home some memorabilia of the event bring a few coins with you.

For first timers to Gold Basin There will be white board signs to point the way (if the locals don't remove them). I look forward to meeting you all Friday night at the Base Camp get together if not Saturday.

Clear skies and good hunting,

Dolan Dave and Richard

Hello meteorite hunters:

I'm here in the basin for another outing this weekend. The roads into the GPAA camp are good. People have arrived in campers, trailers and 2 wheel drive SUVs like mine. You could even get in with standard cars if you want to hunt in the 'normal' meteorite fields.

It is a great place this time of the year when the day temps are in the 60s and 70s and the wind is not blowing.

I've found 3 meteorites in about a 5 hour hunt and others have found more and larger up to 100 grams.

If you are new at it get someone to give you a meteorite identification lesson or that meteorite you see with your eyes or detect with your metal detector will be mistaken for an ordinary rock.

Gold nuggets are sometimes found with the meteorites. I don't think they will be mistaken!

Good luck and see everyone next weekend.

Mitchel

S looking forward to the outing, is one of the hats reserved for me , I will be there on Sat. will bring my quad (side x side) I hope.

Going to make it on Friday instead of Sat.

Got my quad loaded and all I have to do is stop for gas and food.

Waiting....is it Friday yet ???? :ROFL:

Mikestang, I have a side x side so there would be room for a passenger.

Edited by azdigger

All packed and ready to go. Will be heading out about 8:00 am.

I only live about 60 miles from Gold basin.

Hope to see others when I get there.

Back from the outing today, did not find any meteorites but got to meet some folks and that was good. Had a great time.

Hey, Rich. I had a great time, too, despite not finding any Gold Basin meteorites. I did get lucky on Sunday and found a Franconia, though, so I'll share a picture of that shortly. Great to see everyone, huge kudos to Richard and Dave for organizing the event and to all the "celebs" like Twink and Sonny that showed up. Congrats to Jason for the biggest find! We need to do these more often.

I enjoyed the gathering so much! Great to meet some new folks along with the freiends I did know already. Thanks again to Richard and Dave for the hats, pins, coins and the gathering in general. Yes I hope we do this more than once a year as I love wandering around GB even if I get skunked as I did this time! At least my hunting partner Don Morin found his first and a very nice one at that. Yes some are still sitting around under or near bushes as Don and Jim Tobin found out! October through mid April seems like the best weather to me. I did forget to share a story or three which I would love to do when we meet again.

Twink

I did get lucky on Sunday and found a Franconia, though, so I'll share a picture of that shortly.

More pictures coming soon, but here's my 68g Franconia find in-situ.

Franc2015.JPG

I would like to say thank you to Richard, Twink, Sonny, Bob, and all others who came out to commemorate the 20th anniversary. It was just an awesome few days to hunt, talk, meet, and have fun with everyone. I got to meet a lot of great folks and put faces to names.

Mike, congrats on your nice looking find at Franconia... a nice sunbaker.

I cant wait to the next one....

Until next time

Dave