Nugget Shooter Forums

Unable to tell... help please.

First I want to say hello from Canada :ya: .

I have found a lot of various stones/rocks and what not in my area. The one that interests me to know what it is today is this one...

At first I thought it was Glass slag, but then the underneath reveal differently. It was chipped off something, or it appears that way.

post-27553-0-36331800-1428499085_thumb.j

post-27553-0-56105300-1428499092_thumb.j

Anything green and canadian I think jade"ish" minerals. Got a streak,hardness or specific density data ? Pics won't do it alone.

This is intesting Maybe it's AMazonite?

http://molly.kalafut.org/jade/fake.html

Edited by weaver hillbille

Looking at the first picture my instincts said slag glass, however, after looking at the second picture I came up with green calcite. Google green calcite and you will see what i mean. Jerry

Looking at the first picture my instincts said slag glass, however, after looking at the second picture I came up with green calcite.

I think you nailed it Jerry.....Its definately natural......and likely Green Calcite.....I was thinking Green quartz but the calcite thing escaped me

The crystal of "well being" ? Now this is amusing, but possible! I don't know how to check it's density(hardness)

Green Calcite eh..hmmm. I know it weight probably about 40-50lbs for sure. It's heavy!

----> I have a huge deposit of Jasper in my area too.

Edited by Antag

UPDATE: I checked for hardness watching a few videos. Conclusion is a 7 hardness.

Did my figure nail, then a penny, then a paper clip then glass. It only scratches the glass and nothing else leaves a mark.

Edited by Antag

Any lapidary clubs in your area? Jewelers? They may be able to ident or even purchase if they like.

Hardness is a good clue towards somethin "jade" like! Definitely silica rich.

Maybe obsidian?

Any lapidary clubs in your area? Jewelers? They may be able to ident or even purchase if they like.

Hardness is a good clue towards somethin "jade" like! Definitely silica rich.

Maybe obsidian?

There's Jewelers for sure. Not sure about lapidary but I'll check. I'm not going to be selling this gem lol. It's my collection. I just want to know what it is :(

Maybe a small chunk broken off a corner of your 50pounder will encourage them to spend some time identifying it for you.

There's Jewelers for sure. Not sure about lapidary but I'll check. I'm not going to be selling this gem lol. It's my collection. I just want to know what it is :(

Is it more like limestone in nature (more chalky) or more crystaline in nature? Difficult to tell that from photos. How tough is the rock?

Edited by bigrex

UPDATE: I checked for hardness watching a few videos. Conclusion is a 7 hardness.

Did my figure nail, then a penny, then a paper clip then glass. It only scratches the glass and nothing else leaves a mark.

It's hard and heavy.