Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Outing Nugget after Hydrofluoric...

OK took my around 4 gram specimen and put it into 51% Hydrofluoric acid for 2 days and the result is a very nice 2.6 gram nugget minus the quartz and other brown rock. Got some other small specimens soaking now.... Cool part is seeing the crystaline gold that was hidden and you can see where it was exposed originally in specimen before host rock was removed. Dangerous stuff to work with, but very cool results!

post-3-0-46171200-1428254438_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-71449000-1428254466_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That turned out pretty cool Bill:)
What did it wind up weighing?
Agree...hydrofluoric is probably the worst in the acid world.

Special antidote kit needed if you get it on you.

Tom

That turned out very nice, Bill! WTG! Cheers, Unc

What did it wind up weighing?

Tom

Hey Tom, buy some reading glasses :4chsmu1:

Nice fresh specimen Bill :head:

Edited by adam

Hey Tom, buy some reading glasses :4chsmu1:

Nice fresh specimen Bill :head:

Doh! Im tarded!

Tom

Edited by TomH

YAHOO great nuggets and that acid is near impossible to get in kalif. But without a positive induction fume hood,full suit I'd never touch it again. Used it for a few years at Litton on al. heat sinks for circuit boards. Nice etch job Bill-John

Only use it in small plastic container outside and very careful, nasty stuff. Here is a closeup showing there is still a little of the brown rock as well as some quartz attached so it is soaking another day or two. You can see the gold that was exposed originally on the lower edges in the specimen and it is worn, inside is amazing... There are some small pieces that broke off in the bottom of container as well, but hard to fiddle with until I dispose of all the acid in the container I am using.

post-3-0-43342100-1428330862_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sure is a beautiful piece of gold Bill. Any special plastic you use or just any ordinary plastic? What do you nutralize the acid with?

Seamless plastic container and baking soda to neutralize....

• Like 1

:old: ashes and caliche

Amazing coarse gold, Bill ... Never found anything like that in that spot ... Everything I found there was sluggy and water-worn According to CGD's description of the spot, I know I went over that exact spot from every compass point a hundred times with my ol' Baboo SD2100 and a few times with my 4500 ... I always felt there should be gold there from the old channel that ran SW of the little basalt hill which was the source in that patch! ... WTG! Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron

It was nice and smooth until I boiled all the rock off it Unc :ROFL: and I have found lots of quartz and gold specimens like this at the LSD and in the area I showed you a little walk to the North of that. Wish I would have dissolved the rock off a few more LSD specimens now as they look pretty cool and ya get to see what the raw gold actually looked like. Got 2 more dinks out of there last week too, both solid gold.

That did turn out nice Bill! WTG!

Looks pricey, when I took a gander round the web..

Best bang for the buck is bulk, of course, but spending 30-40$ for an ounce or two( or 80-90$ for a pint) is more affordable- how much did you use to dissolve the dink? Economical source for HF acid you can pass on?

Edited by weaver hillbille

took about a shot glass full....

I found a supplier( LabDepot)- wants 55$ /500 ml( pint) which makes it about 4$ a shot.. Was the remnant solution still acidic enough to treat other dinks?

p/n BDH3040-500MLP-EA

http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~870~pid~61580.aspx

Edited by weaver hillbille

Yes and used it for a bunch of the species I was showing a few months back. Stuff I have is 51% to 55% strength. Please be careful I frosted the windows in one of my old cabins 20 years ago from the inside just from vapors. Grace of God I didn't get a good snort because it will turn your lungs bloody and sore fast. Learned I did and outside only for me or in open building with lose lidded plastic container (no seam).

Cool results though :yesss:

Don't worry, If I were to get any on me,I'll have a hatchet at the ready to cut the offended body part off, Arrrgh. :tisk-tisk: Or have the calcium gluconate drip on ice and a nurse standing by :brows: .

But that won't happen and if I do procure some it will be used outside, well away from the house and probably set up a fan, as well instead of depending on any breeze.

AND all ancillary safety gear!

Is that price a good deal ?

Yes, not bad at all considering it is hard to get and strictly regulated.