Nugget Shooter Forums

Mysterious Vietnam War Memorial in CO

Allen in MT

Very interesting if you have been there or lost someone in Vietnam. Cycle ride from Tomichi Creek off of Highway 50 near Gunnison, CO up to the Continental Divide, people have found this war memorial tucked away in seclusion. You won't find it on any maps. An old local at the Tomichi Trading Post said the Park Rangers keep it off maps...the story is that a Vietnam Vet somehow used a chopper to sneak the pieces in. This memorial is off a high plateau near Gunnison, CO and it is indeed up in the air (notice the only trees in the video are spruce/fir, only found between 9,000' and tree line). It is as much a mystery here as anywhere. This is really something else..video is about five minutes, but very impressive memorial. This video was taken by some dirt bike riders along the Continental Divide, who stumbled upon a Vietnam memorial in the woods. Whoever did it, put a lot of time and money into it. Evidently hunters and possibly some Vets must be aware of it as there are numerous 30.06 rounds and good luck coins on the ledges between the stones. Who built it and how did it get there? In the middle of nowhere! It's a mystery!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=axhZ0Tx2L4U

wish I knew what all the writing says

Absolutely amazing ,thanx much for the post. Opened many old wounds but we MUST never forget that ungodly mess. Someone with deep pockets spent much cash,time and effort and wish I could shake their hand....Respect-John

That is truly amazing.

GN, I don't understand why people think the war should have never happened. The S. Vietnamese people feared living under the totalitarian communist of the North...... If the politicians did not lose the war for us and them, they would be living in a freedom loving society.

I have seen info on that memorial before ... great tribute to a lot of lost souls and patriots! I have to agree with El Dorado on this one ... The 'conflict' ... war by all other descriptions ... happened and we went in with good intentions ... politics got in the way just as it has in Iraq ... If we don't learn from history we will continue to see it repeated! Politics does not belong in War ... Generals are the experts in that area ... let them do their job and we all will fare better! Just my humble opinion of course! :old:

Mike F

GN, I don't understand why people think the war should have never happened. The S. Vietnamese people feared living under the totalitarian communist of the North...... If the politicians did not lose the war for us and them, they would be living in a freedom loving society.

Your last sentence says what I should have added to my post....but didn't El D.

We shouldn't have let the politicians get involved in it, just like a lot of other things

I could think of........ GN