Nugget Shooter Forums

Discrimination

nugget108

Hello everyone. I have a quick question for you guys. I got my new 5x10 DD coil a month or so ago and have been using it regularly since then. I for one NEVER use discrimination. It's just how I was taught and seen a friend miss a nice chunk of gold using discrimination on his machine years back. Well i decided to try out the function last weekend with the new coil because I was in a very high trash area. It was doing good picking out the ferrous trash and sounding sweet on little bird shot and bullets. The problem started when I threw down my test nugget just to see how it was balanced. Well when I got the coil too close to the nugget it would "blank" out. I didn't think it would blank out on gold. Now keep in mind my test nugget is well under a gram. Anyone else experience this?

No I haven't but like you said "I do not use discrimination" I had an experience in the early 1990s where my trusty GB 2 told me a target was trash while working a trashy wash and I wanted a cold beer more than more nails so went up the hill to shade and a Budweiser. Feller with me saw where I was digging other trash targets and swung over the area on the way up the wash, missed one he said, trash I said, he dug a 3/4 ounce nugget long and skinny like a nail. Machine thought nail and that was the last time I ever trusted discrimination on any gold detector!

• Like 3

AMEN brother Bill. If Minelab made a detector without discrimination and it made the machine more sensitive I would buy that machine over one with discrimination.

I have two GP 3500 and a GPX 4000 and the discrimination switch's has never been turned on.

The only time I use discrimination is coin hunting in trashy places like beaches with a vlf. Never Nuggethunting on a PI.

Edited by DolanDave

Like I said, I have never used it either except for trying it last weekend. Just thought it was strange it blanks on the nugget also.