Nugget Shooter Forums

Your Dog and a Rattlesnake

Mike Furness

I hope this is OK to post ... I just got done with Max's annual Viper Avoidance Training this morning in New River. This was his retraining just as the snake season starts in this part of the country. I am so convinced that this training works that I consider it essential for all dog owners who take their most loyal friend out into the desert needs to have this training ... it is training for the dog but it is also for the 'master' so that he/she can read what the dog is doing when it encounters a rattlesnake. In talking with Jim this morning he said he was going to be in Kingman AZ April 4th to do his training. I volunteered that I would help out by posting this info on the forum ... so here it is.

April 4th, Viper Avoidance Training (done btw with live rattlesnakes not just an old shed skin) in Kingman AZ with Jim Walkington, Viper Voidance of New River AZ. This is NOT a walk in clinic ... you need to call him to make an appointment. He can be reached at 480-215-1776. If you are going to be in Kingman with your trusted and loyal 4 legged friend on April 4th I strongly encourage you to give Jim a call and take the short 20-30 minute class. If you would like to check his website: www.vipervoidance.com

Disclaimer: I am not making a dime on this ... Jim did not pay me nor will I accept payment if he offered it ... I feel strongly about his program and volunteered to post this info. My sole reason for posting this information is the hope that some dog will benefit from it by recognizing danger before it strikes and in the end it saves a dogs life!

Mike F

While we were in AZ, We took our pooches to Jim's for training and a week later for a quick check. They both responded very well to it.

I have vipervoidance on my to do list for a while now as i've heard many good praises of this place. I actually recommended it to a person here with six dogs. I need to get off my butt and do it as i'm also in new river

Joe ... If you haven't done it yet ... go to the phone right now and call Jim ... no excuses and no more procrastination! His phone number is up top in the first post of this thread ... But so you can say you don't have time to scroll up to it ... 480-215-1776 ... GO CALL NOW! :)

Mike F

Mike,

I wrote the number down on my "To Do" pad last night after i read your previous post..... Once i write it down it gets done. Leaving to go camping very shortly but your right i have to stop Procrastinating (Regretfully i am good at that)

thanks for the boost :)

Thanks Mike, Only going to Lake Pleasant for four days.... going to bring the Tesoro Vaquero and work the shoreline for some trinkets. But thanks for the "Kick in the Butt" to get my best friend his needed help, he'll be with us so i have to be careful with snakes as he's a small schit-zu and that small a snake bite would,well you know.

I see below your avatar you do kayaking, I've been kicking that around and may pick your brain in a few months.

Don't want to hijack this thread as vipervoidance is a great resource for mans/womans best friend

Best of Health,

Joe

Edited by Joe Z

You should also consider Snake Bite Vaccination for you pup in addition to the avoidance training. Not cheap though. I paid $100.00 per shot requires 2 of them.

I'm very disappointed in the snake shot vaccination.... They gave my dog the first shot then had to return a few weeks later for a follow up shot. both shot locations blew up very large and after the second shot we could not get the dog to wake up for about four hours.....I was very scared the dog was a goner. Not sure what happened but i will never do that again. I'm not saying this happens to everyone or even anybody else but it happened to me....vipervoidance all the way for me, no more snake shots :(

Stan I get my shots at he humane society clinic in Prescott ... clinic is on Fridays ... all shots are $16 each including the snake vaccination.

Joe ... Some dogs especially small dogs have trouble with the shots. My guess is that if you go for the annual shot next year the problem won't come up again ... I would talk to your vet before giviong up on the shots. They really go help if the dog gets struck. Voice of experience TWICE ... One was after avoidance training but not Max's fault. The training kicked in but the snake was faster. Max was chasing a blue belly lizard into a bush that happened to have a 4 foot Western Diamondback in it. He started to back up after catching the scent but it was too late ... Joe-No-Shoulders was already headed his way with the strike. I have seen him back up a few times in the last week and I am guessing because there was a snake there ... the heat has brought them out for sure.

Thanks Mike.... I would sure like to know it works, and from Stan and you it seems to work. My little dog is an eight year old shih tzu. I lost a five year old dog a few years back to a bad batch of bad dog food. I held that dog by the cheeks and stared into his eyes while the vet put him down. cried so hard i left with my dog out the back door. I know you all on here feel the same way about your pet. It just hurts so bad I am really careful.