Nugget Shooter Forums

Specialty Outdoor clothing to survive high temperatures...

Living in California and realizing our state is becoming a desert again do to the drought makes me think of preparing myself with new gear and clothing to hunt in temperatures that exceed 100 degrees. In the summer I wear cotton long sleeve shirts, and long pants, with boots. I wear a hat to protect my head from the sun and from getting stuck in the head with a various local brush and tree branches as I crawl under them. Are there any new products out that will keep you cool and more comfortable when out hunting in high temperatures. I want to hear what you folks wear when your out and about in these temperatures. This is a good time of year to prepare for the summer and stay safe by buying the best gear possible, so we can enjoy hunting and be more successful at it. So, if anyone has some good pointers from boots, socks, pants, shirts and hats and whatever else is out there, give us you opinion and direction. Remember the more comfortable you are out there, the longer you will be able to hunt...and find more gold !

Since I live in the tropics I have for years bought clothing that is made for this climate.

All of my gold beeping clothes are from LA Police Gear or 5.11. I buy all camo military type uniforms that are for a hot climate. The ones I like are the rip stop 60% cotton and 40% Polyster.

If you want the latest camo you'll pay through the nose for it. I wait until the older camo goes on sale and instead of paying $35.00-$55.00 for a pair of pants I get them on sale for around $18.00-$22.00 bucks.

Their uniform pants and matching shirts are milspec and are tough and good wearing.

Same for the boots. Read the specs and get the desert or tropical boots. Same goes for boot socks.

The newer jackets don't have the pockets on the bottom half of the jacket. I like those pockets so I take them to a gal here that sews pockets on them. Even better is buy the older jackets if you can still find them, they have the pockets.

A good start here: http://www.lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant-elastic.html

Another great site: http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display.asp?subDepartmentID=123&page=2

• Like 1

Out here in Arizona.....

I buy my cheap long sleeve shirts from goodwill...3 bucks all cotton...Get WHITE!.

Wear long short pant made out of a heavy material (goodwill also) that go past my knees. The snake gators and knee pad will protect the rest.

That way you get some air flow up the legs. Keep the zipper open. No one cares :)

Hydropack with lots of water. Gorge yourself on water prior to going out.

Freeze half of the hydropack the night before then fill it up with water in the morning.

Freeze a little bottle of water and put it in you hydro pack as a back up if you run out....that's when its time to head back!

Go a LOT slower.

I got a cheap womans sunhat that is really ariated at wallmart, cut some slots in the side to jam the headset through and it works great.

I look stupid but a lot cooler. Got to keep the air flowing across your head. Regular hats hold the heat in and you sweat a lot more.

If you stop sweating or peeing. Head back to the truck :)

Good luck to ya!
Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 3

Good advice Tom, also if you get sweat wicking fabrics they will make you feel cooler but will dehydrate you much faster than all cotton. They're good if youre staying close to the truck and water supply but by allowing the sweat to evaporate faster you need more water intake.

Some great advice there fellas , I think this is an important topic because a little planning could save your life especially if you hunt on your own and have no buddy system. That spare bottle of water, and some reserve snacks and first aid kit in your backpack could come in handy. I do like the idea of buying everything second hand as you all know we tear the crap out of our clothes. I carry everything in my backpack so I can go for a full 4-6 hours without hiking back to my vehicle. I also found that by submerging my cotton boonie hat in water, its keeps my head cool for hours especially when the wind blows. Well keep those tips and tricks coming..... :)

Some great advice there fellas , I think this is an important topic because a little planning could save your life especially if you hunt on your own and have no buddy system. That spare bottle of water, and some reserve snacks and first aid kit in your backpack could come in handy. I do like the idea of buying everything second hand as you all know we tear the crap out of our clothes. I carry everything in my backpack so I can go for a full 4-6 hours without hiking back to my vehicle. I also found that by submerging my cotton boonie hat in water, its keeps my head cool for hours especially when the wind blows. Well keep those tips and tricks coming..... :)

one other thing...GPS your truck prior to heading out.

Not that ive gotten turned around or anything like that and had to pull the GPS out to get me back because every hill looks

like the last one....... :ROFL:

Tom

I agree with all you guys said especially TomH and Garimpo(Don) ... in addition I use my older fishing shirts as they are long sleeved and have some spf protection and are very light weight ripstop fabric. My hat is a 'breezer' type wide brim same one I use fishing from the kayak. So if you are out in the desert and smell a hint of saltwater fish I probably won't be far away! LOL! Stay hydrated ... drink before you are thirsty ... sipping water on a regular basis through out the day is easy with a 'camelback' type hydration backpack.

Mike F

• Like 1

I like straw hats with a good headspace above. 46105-2T-134x151-AUTO.jpg

When I get them new, I slather on SPF1000TiO2 based sunscreen to keep the straw alive a bit longer.

They make for a great swamp(head) cooler when doused with a bit of water.

Cooling neck wraps such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Chill-Its-6602-Cooling-Towel-Blue/dp/B001B5I57I/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426705734&sr=1-1&keywords=evaporative+cooling+neck+wrap

do amazingly well at keeping you cool. You have to keep sweating or re-wetting the cloth. There are also vests made out of this material.

Jean

• Like 2

Hey Jean,

A cooling neck wrap is something I am going to try out this summer along with a few other things to keep cool and keep it fun. Gary,

good advice on the breaks, sometimes its hard to stop detecting, but I found lately when I take a break under a shady tree and hydrate it makes it more enjoyable. After all those nuggets aren't going anywhere so a break or two per hunt goes a long way.