Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi Guys! + A Question

Aµdigger

Hello All!

New to the forum and to the "hobby" of gold prospecting! I am panning, but I have one question. I panned down to the black magnetic sand, but how do I know for sure the little rocks in the pan are gold. I am not stupid, as I have panned with a friend (who had been doing it or a while) a long time ago so I have seen gold, but I am not sure what is in my pan is gold. How would I know?

Thanks or your help everyone!

-Aµ

pyrite is brittle, whereas, gold will dent.

When you find a flake of 'gold', try to pick it up/poke it with a pin/sewing needle or knifepoint. Use a magnifying glass to help see it while yo udo this.

Pyrite will fracture.

Uno, some gold is black stained...

Also usually you can look at the blacksands and "gold" in direct sunlight then take your hand and shade the material, pyrite will lose it gold look and become dull looking, but gold will still look much the same as gold has a glow all of it own, I also recommend the smash it, poke it with a needle test, if it flatten out when trying to smash it say with a hammer or such, or it indents instead of crumbling or breaking up into pieces, it's very likely gold

Use any steel object,I use knives, and push on the subject. If it goes crack,crunch or crumbles and is non magnetic there's a decent chance you have gold. It can be colored many colors dependent upon how it was formed and many other conditions also color them. Think hard lead and you'll dent it or cut into pieces but your ears are a fantastic tool for analysis. Join a nice small local yokel club and us retirees will find you with extra equipment,claims and the time to assist and we do enjoy spreading this insideous fever -John

John, sometimes it's hard to follow your logic but on this one I'm lost. If you stick gold with a knife or steel object I have never seen it or heard it go crunch. Now pyrite will crumble but gold is malleable and will accept your knife a bit. Correct me man if I am lost.

Old Tom

Use any steel object,I use knives, and push on the subject. If it goes crack,crunch or crumbles and is non magnetic there's a decent chance you have gold. It can be colored many colors dependent upon how it was formed and many other conditions also color them. Think hard lead and you'll dent it or cut into pieces but your ears are a fantastic tool for analysis. Join a nice small local yokel club and us retirees will find you with extra equipment,claims and the time to assist and we do enjoy spreading this insideous fever -John

John, sometimes it's hard to follow your logic but on this one I'm lost. If you stick gold with a knife or steel object I have never seen it or heard it go crunch. Now pyrite will crumble but gold is malleable and will accept your knife a bit. Correct me man if I am lost.

Old Tom

I think John meant to put in a "doesn't" in between "it" and "goes" which I think he meant "go", because I know he knows that gold is malleable and will not crack, crunch or crumble, I have seen him post this advice correctly many, many times in the past!

Yeah that is probably the answer to the question. I know that John probably knows way more than I do about gold but I couldn't figure that one out. I just came home from a miners get together for four days and there was way too much drinking and carrying on for my age and I am still recuperating. Give me a couple of days, tks.

Old Tom

I just came home from a miners get together for four days and there was way too much drinking and carrying on for my age and I am still recuperating.

Old Tom

How come I wasn't invited :rolleyes: I want to go panning too !

Because you're just a shadow holding a peace symbol and you drink too much.

Old Tom