Nugget Shooter Forums
Reno Chris

Comparing the GPZ and the 5000 on mossy, wiry specimen gold

So I was out in the goldfields of California yesterday with Steve Herschbach and another friend who is a detector dealer. We did some quick tests comparing the 5000 and the GPZ on mossy, wiry gold that we had found previously. These were pieces from both Nevada and California.
The smaller of the two nuggets shown in the attached photo weighs 3 grams and with an 11 inch mono set on maximum gain of 20, it was totally invisible to the 5000 - even when it was touching the coil. The detector made no response whatsoever. The GPZ on the other hand could see it at about 10 inches, and it was dug from a pounded patch that has seen many GPX detectors (including mine) at a depth of about 6 inches. The GPZ was set for difficult soil at only 12 sensitivity. So what is the performance improvement over the 5000 when one detector is blind to the piece and the other sees it at 10 inches? Mathematically speaking, it is an infinite improvement - a whole lot more than 40%.
The larger of the two pieces pictured in this post weighs 18 grams and the 5000 could see it to a maximum of about 10 inches. The GPZ could see it at 20 inches, and it was dug with the GPZ at about 18 inches. Going from 10 inches to 20 inches is a 100% improvement - double the depth of detection and also a lot more than 40%.
We also tested some specimen gold Steve had with similar results - the 5000 could not see the smaller specimens of a few grams size.
Of course we all know that the 5000 performs very well with more solid nuggets and specimens. I have found lots of gold with my 5000, it is an excellent detector.
However, the GPZ is a gigantic improvement over the 5000 when it comes to mossy, wiry, prickly, specimen and other similar forms of gold.
Some may say there is not much of this type of gold out there. I would say in response, if most of us are using detectors that perform poorly on that type of gold, how does the fact that we don't find much prove that it doesn't exist? Truth is that there is loads of specimen gold out there and I think the GPZ will be finding a lot of it in the coming weeks and months.
Geologically, many of the places where the nugget gold is truly deep are locations where the patch is sitting as a residual over a vein, and having a detector optimized for specimen gold would make very good sense.

Some hard rock deposits tend to produce this type of gold.

The famous "invisible gold" mined by the pound by the also famous John B. of Tucson mostly with VLF detectors is definitely of this same type. So it certainly does occur in Arizona.

Smart prospectors with GPZ detectors will be using this knowledge to their best advantage.
As for me, I have been doing research to find places which produce this type of gold and I intend to be using the coming months to leverage this performance increase to the greatest extent.

post-187-0-58321400-1426010813_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Chris, next time you are down to the Mother Load, give me a PM. Working on an open reef of quartz now. Arboresence type AU. Had Matt up and he mentioned you may be interested in seeing this open vein system. Twin veins actually. His 5000 had a difficult time with the typical situation we have here.

Would love to have a Zed over to sniff.

Great report Chris and this truly is a huge difference over the GPX series. It still blows me away how deep I am digging targets of all sizes. Many are under the impression the 7000 will only give advantage on large nuggets, not so and it hears all size ranges deeper....

• Like 1

Hi why would I spend 10K to find specimen gold when I could go to a mind dump and find it with my 4-6 hundred dollar VLF :nutty: Mike C... :200:

Hi why would I spend 10K to find specimen gold when I could go to a mind dump and find it with my 4-6 hundred dollar VLF :nutty: Mike C... :200:

Dueling :Detector: s at 50 yards.... meet at the LSD Corral at high noon :Just_Cuz_06:

Edited by weaver hillbille

Hi All,

Sometimes it is better to try before ya slam a product me thinks :4chsmu1::nutty::old::head: But that is OK and hey Mike ol' buddy and I remember you saying the same about several other models you have owned including the 5000... :idunno: It does not just hear wire type gold deeper, or just big gold deeper, the new technology Minelab is now using hears ALL sizes deeper than previous models. Once again as well we have a much quieter and more stable detector as well and though somewhat hesitant at first I jumped and am very glad I did and even managed a couple nuggets in two spots Joe took me to that he has hammered with his GPX 5000 and several different coils.

So far I like this detector allot and can't wait to get more time on it and you would likely ask if I see the depth and other benefits Minelab claims one will have with the GPZ 7000 and my answer is yes.... I only have about 30 hours on it so far so will have more info on my opinion as I use it more.

I am a dealer though so many may figure I am just trying to sell detectors, but Chris is not and I appreciate his input so folks can hear it from a prospector using one.

Have a good weekend all and get some gold, I'll be hanging out at the LSD with the rest going to the outing! :yesss:

• Like 1

Chris, that wire gold sure is pretty. Keep up the good work.

RSJ

Hi why would I spend 10K to find specimen gold when I could go to a mind dump and find it with my 4-6 hundred dollar VLF

Mike - why in the world have you spent the money to own a minelab PI when you could find gold with an inexpensive VLF? - because I know you own an ML PI.

You well know the answer - the PI punches deeper, and it ignores mineralization that makes a VLF squawk, beep and pop.

The patch the bigger wire gold nugget above came from had been pounded by multiple people with high Khz VLFs like the GB2 and the GMT as well. It had also been well worked by the various generations of ML PI detectors including the 4000 and 5000. It did yield some gold to both the VLFs and the PI detectors. So the patch was considered well pounded and had not yielded anything for some time. I was at the site with Steve Herschbach and I went over there with an SDC 2300 and promptly popped out two nuggets with a total weight of a quarter ounce - I worked it over further, but found no more. I had to head back to Reno and Steve was on another part of the claims with the owner. Steve was there for another day, so I told him about the nuggets I found and I marked where they came from on the ground for him to see. We were still keeping the GPZ prototype hidden back then, but the owner went to have lunch and just after I left, and Steve took the GPZ over to this patch while the owner ate and took a break. Steve dug 1.6 ounces of nuggets in an hour while the owner had lunch. The SDC had missed some of this because of its 8 inch coil. The GPZ could see the nuggets and see them deeper. As Steve later said, it was like the patch had never seen a detector before. We returned a couple weeks later when we had more time and that is when I dug the wiry gold piece above. I ended up with 0.9 ounces and Steve got 1.6, so that worked out patch yielded another 2.5 ounces total after it had been well worked by 4 to 6 hundred dollar VLFs (and some even a bit more expensive than that).

Mike - You and I both know of a mine dump in Arizona owned by a friend of ours that has been pounded by both VLFs and minelab PI detectors which would almost certainly yield considerable more gold to the GPZ 7000 because it will see much deeper than any VLF and it will see that "invisible gold" which the PI detectors just cant see. I would not be surprised in the least if that one dump by itself would pay the cost of at least one GPZ with the gold it would yield.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 1