Nugget Shooter Forums

Sooo, seeing as how SanDomingoJim opened this thread back up, I have to wonder what up with AzNuggetBob..? Last thing he said in this forum was he was just about packed up and getting ready to hit the road doing some travelling around n among other things meeting up with folks from both on and off this board..

And that's the last we've heard from him.. As far as I know there was nothing that went down (as in an argumentetive post or something) that would have turned him off from posting here; he's just up n disappeared..

Anyone heard from him, or seen him posting on another board lately..?  Just curious is all.. Really miss his stories and the info he shared with us all -- and would like to hear about his most recent adventures as well..

Swamp

We haven't talked since last September. I know he was going to do some family stuff. Maybe he is busy with that? I'm with ya swamp, miss the stories from that fella.

• 5 months later...
16 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Maybe he just escaped from the :putertired: for awhile and is in the middle of :Detector::ya::barnie::hiker::Just_Cuz_06::89::oregonian_winesmiley:

I hope that's what it is..
He showed up this summer, was real active for like 3 weeks or so, then fell silent.. Maybe a month later he replied to a post -- then once again fell silent.. That's the last I recall seeing him.. He seemed to be on a pretty good roll talking about stuff too.. All I can figure is maybe he did deceide to stop talking and start writing.. Those stories would make for one heckuva interesting & funny read..

Swamp

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I hope that's what it is..
He showed up this summer, was real active for like 3 weeks or so, then fell silent.. Maybe a month later he replied to a post -- then once again fell silent.. That's the last I recall seeing him.. He seemed to be on a pretty good roll talking about stuff too.. All I can figure is maybe he did deceide to stop talking and start writing.. Those stories would make for one heckuva interesting & funny read..

Swamp

Actually Bob has been on the forum regularly from when he started this topic and through March and then from May 10 through October 11 with over 75 posts/replies, his last visit was on October 19, a week ago, so he's been around and posting with an average of at least 10 post per month.

The only month I don't see content from Bob this year was in April, so it looks like he was only gone or not posting for that month only of this year, that being said, I couldn't find any content from Bob from September 21, 2015 until March 6, 2016 when he started this topic, so he didn't post anything for about 6 months.

Here's his "content" on the forum.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?/profile/26382-aznuggetbob/content/

• 1 month later...

Hey all, Thanks for your comments. I have been very busy hunting and on other projects.
 It seems like everyone is having fun. I love talking about old experiences and what I learned from them and I hope you do too.
I'll share more. If anyone else has some great stories to share jump in. you dont have to find a bunch of gold to learn more about Prospecting and Treasure hunting. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Well there you are Bob. Glad to see your still hanging around.

On 10/25/2016 at 6:38 PM, weaver hillbille said:

Maybe he just escaped from the :putertired: for awhile and is in the middle of :Detector::ya::barnie::hiker::Just_Cuz_06::89::oregonian_winesmiley:

You got it Weaver Hillbille :D
Your emogi's pretty much say it all, I've been bouncing back and forth between Cali and Az. helping my son in law remodel a house,
I went over there to hit a nugget patch I was invited to and help them find the source and ended up helping them set up a placer mine on it.
All small gold, grammers were rare but you couldnt argue with the oz's per ton.
after that I was going to go up to N-Nv. going to do the old sno-bird loop as I call it,(up thru Cali back thru N. Nv.and back to Az.)but it just didnt work out. my modded Minelab took a crap and had some family issues come up.
I was looking forward to hunting and spending some time with nugget108 and his family. after talking to him for months I'm sure he knows how to hunt,and N-Nv very well. he is very familiar with my old stomping grounds.
Anyway I'll put up some more stories/adventures when I get some time to write them. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Well Bob that's an open invitation any time. We have about a foot of snow up around the patches now but come Feb/Mar (depending on winter of course) we will be back at it again. Keep them stories coming and keep in touch.

Dan

Dan Thanks for the open invite, Ive got a lot of new places I've been researching up there to hunt. hopefully in spring.The snow up there sucks this time of year. been there done that when I was livin in Winnemucca.
AzNuggetob

• 2 weeks later...

You are 100 percent correct about the snow. It started late this year and we're already tired of it lol. It would be a treat to have ya out detecting with us. I also have a few new spots we want to check out. This spring of course . 

Best Treasure Ever, That wasn't mine :(

In the late 80's I was working as a turd chaser (Plumber with an emphasis on drain cleaning:). The plumber I worked for was highly successful. City Contracts, 5-7 Service Trucks, Back hoes, Tractors, 10 Wheeler's, Street main repairs, you name it.

I ran the North County for them, but had to deliver my receipts every week to their family combination Construction Yard / Family Home in El Cajon. This took about two hours, so not very happy about it I asked one of the sons when they were going to trust me to deposit, or just mail it in. He just said, don't worry about it, were not going to be around that long anyways. (Anyone remember the 80's, no work, low wages if there was, and a thousand people more qualified than you were applying for every job out there). I was pulling over $850 a week after expenses, so you could have knocked me over with a plunger.

I assumed they were going to sell, as it had to be over a million dollar shop, so I said no problem get me in with the new owner, he just said nah, were just closing.

The Treasure Part:

He could see I was more than a little skeptical, so he pulled me over to a 10x12 storage shed. Remember those City Contracts? Well it turns out one of them was for Jetting the original city drains / sewers, especially the ones from Old Town that dated back over a hundred years. Inside that shed, stacked floor to ceiling were old fashioned apple crates, he opened one to show me, and it was nothing but silver dollars. Turned out that entire shed was old silver, seems all the gold coins and jewelry had been culled while sorting, turns out they had just ejected through screens while jetting and pulled out old coins / jewelry for weeks.

Well a few months later I stopped getting any service calls from them, a few days turned into a week, and the business phone was just flat disconnected. They were a big part of my income back then so I decided to drive down and see what was up. That yard, the house, the office, all empty, I never heard from any of them again.

Sure would have liked to see the culled gold and jewelry that went with that silver. 

47 minutes ago, Desertson said:

Best Treasure Ever, That wasn't mine :(

In the late 80's I was working as a turd chaser (Plumber with an emphasis on drain cleaning:). The plumber I worked for was highly successful. City Contracts, 5-7 Service Trucks, Back hoes, Tractors, 10 Wheeler's, Street main repairs, you name it.

I ran the North County for them, but had to deliver my receipts every week to their family combination Construction Yard / Family Home in El Cajon. This took about two hours, so not very happy about it I asked one of the sons when they were going to trust me to deposit, or just mail it in. He just said, don't worry about it, were not going to be around that long anyways. (Anyone remember the 80's, no work, low wages if there was, and a thousand people more qualified than you were applying for every job out there). I was pulling over $850 a week after expenses, so you could have knocked me over with a plunger.

I assumed they were going to sell, as it had to be over a million dollar shop, so I said no problem get me in with the new owner, he just said nah, were just closing.

The Treasure Part:

He could see I was more than a little skeptical, so he pulled me over to a 10x12 storage shed. Remember those City Contracts? Well it turns out one of them was for Jetting the original city drains / sewers, especially the ones from Old Town that dated back over a hundred years. Inside that shed, stacked floor to ceiling were old fashioned apple crates, he opened one to show me, and it was nothing but silver dollars. Turned out that entire shed was old silver, seems all the gold coins and jewelry had been culled while sorting, turns out they had just ejected through screens while jetting and pulled out old coins / jewelry for weeks.

Well a few months later I stopped getting any service calls from them, a few days turned into a week, and the business phone was just flat disconnected. They were a big part of my income back then so I decided to drive down and see what was up. That yard, the house, the office, all empty, I never heard from any of them again.

Sure would have liked to see the culled gold and jewelry that went with that silver. 

Great story....sounds like they up and left with the motherlode. 

Edited by SanDomingoJim

Update: Researched the sewers to see how far they went back and found two thing. 1. Old Town was not on the system, (Makes me wonder about all those Archaeologists that been working Old Town for years, have not seen much coinage reported from them, and the following.

" San Diego (proper), California

• San Diego was one of the few communities in the United States that installed sewers (a "separate" sanitary sewage system; 6" diameter thru 30" diameter) from the start, while a planned city layout was implemented.
  • The first sewers were started in 1885 when the city's population was about 11,000. Upon completion of the first phase of street/infrastructure improvements, the city had 38.67 miles of streets, 38.1 miles of sewer, and 14.7 miles of "house branches."
  • Unique features:
    • Flush tanks at upstream ends of lateral runs (some utilizing sea water).
    • A "flush tank," using sewage as the flushing medium, was installed at the upstream end of a siphon crossing of a river. When the sewage was discharged from the flush tank, sufficient velocity in the 8" diameter siphon barrel along the sewer’s route was achieved.
  • The City of San Diego was incorporated on March 27, 1850; it became a charter city on April 7, 1931.
  • The goal was to connect every home/building, thereby abandoning the previous privies, cesspools, and other miscellaneous drains that were used.
  • Sewage drained to a sewage reservoir (capacity: 1.5 mg) located offshore in the harbor -- in what would today be the westerly extension of Broadway. From there, the untreated sewage drained out (during high tide) through a 600 linear foot, 30" diameter iron pipe outfall into a deep channel in the San Diego Bay. Over time, another nine outfalls were installed to deliver raw sewage to the bay; another fifteen were built to deliver sewage to the Pacific Ocean.
  • This practice continued for the next 50 years -- until the pollution level in the bay became a health hazard, and also began causing severe paint damage to the metal hulls of the Navy ships.
  • In 1940, San Diego had 525 miles of sanitary sewer serving a population of 200,000 people.
  • In 1941, funding was approved for a new system of trunk and interceptor sewers and a 15 mgd (adwf) primary treatment plant (an Imhoff tank), which was expanded to 40 mgd in 1950 -- by then, the ADWF was 38 mgd, serving a tributary population of 485,000. The plant was located near 18th Street and Harbor Drive next to the bay; the outfall for the effluent continued to go to San Diego Bay.
  • By 1950, the conveyance system for San Diego included 11 trunk sewer systems and 34 pumping stations, with gravity pipe ranging in size from 8" diameter to 60" diameter.

Copy from

http://www.sewerhistory.org/chronos/new_amer_roots.htm

choose files...

Another good source of Info for stuff like that is the Sanborn Maps.   You need a Pass word to access them .  Most Libraries have access.

Deming+Apr.+1898,+Sheet+3.pdf

Edited by homefire

Looks like the Link I posted only take me back to my own computer files to save my own stuff.  What's with that deal ?  Would a Moderator be so kind as to delete it please.  What does it do you anyone else trying to open it ?

Deming+Apr.+1898,+Sheet+2.pdf

Edited by homefire
39 minutes ago, homefire said:

Looks like the Link I posted only take me back to my own computer files to save my own stuff.  What's with that deal ?  Would a Moderator be so kind as to delete it please.  What does it do you anyone else trying to open it ?

Deming+Apr.+1898,+Sheet+2.pdf

Homie, both of the Deming PDF links open the file/map you posted, the other link "choose files" just takes me to the top of this page of the forum/topic.:idunno:

Confused I was .  To me it just takes me to my own computer.  So you can see the Map...   Sanborn maps are a Hoot.  They even show out houses.