Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey nice threads here with a lot of great info.
The Dutchman gold mine may have been found. Goldfield? I also think I have other found stories.
This doesn't really have anything to do with metal detectors or Dutchman just an inside story. I have several.

You wont find all of these in any books. but some you will.
I got some of these from the sources before they passed away.. you may have been following them for years, but this one I think I just fell into.

Have you ever heard about a big gold nugget treasure buried in the Weaver, Az. area?
I have always refered to it as the "Tears of the Gods treasure" here's why.
I used to hang out up north with some Navajo friends of mine back in the 1980's when they found out about my intrest in gold
they told me about this story. they said the story was passed down to them from generation to generation. and as the story goes Weaver wasn't discovered by Paulin Weaver.
In fact according to some renegade indians it was discovered by another small mining party passing through Az.on there way to the California diggins in the 1850's.
at that time some of the indians believed the gold nuggets were sacred and not to be disturbed.in fact they believed they were tears of the sun gods.
When they discovered the miners digging up the nuggets they slaugtered them all and put all the nuggets in three large sacred pots and reburied them.

A few years later I was working with a friend running a smaller placer mine digging the main creek bed up on Weaver. we were on the property with a lease option/percentage deal. we had a 922 loader a D-7 dozer, 8 yard dump truck and a 30' trommel wash plant.
we were doing pretty good, about 6-8oz's 10 oz's on a good day at around 350.00 400.00 an oz. but the gold recovery was slowing down and Ill never forget one day I tell my boss what do you think about maybe trying some of that old hybank bench the old timers
had been coyote holein up above us for years. He says why not.

So we move some of the equipment up there and start digging.
Day one, slim pickins. day two, its not going real well were down to about an oz. or two a day. barely paying for the diesel. Im thinkin, guess the old timers didnt leave much behind in there.
my boss says if it doesnt pick up I think we should go back to the main dig in the creek.
Day three, we shut down the plant and as were waiting for the water to run out so we can clean out the sluice boxes. we are both standing right up at the top of the sluice were all the big
nuggets stop. were looking for pickers and all of sudden I notice the water changes from redish brown to gold!. the whole sluice was gold! the 2" exspanded metal riffles were flush with gold.
I reached in and dug my fingers into the packed nuggets. Yeeow

Well after few minutes of jumping up and down in excitment and some fancy colorful language we started pulling the exspanded metal riffles out and I spotted a piece of painted indian pottery in the box, and then another and several more!.
and then I thought about the pottery and felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

and I thought, the Tears of the sun treasure? could it be?
we didnt run all the black sands that day so I cant say exactly what the total was. we normaly just flip the rugs with slow water pick up the pickers
and let the cons run down the sluice into barrels for processing later when things were slow.
the course gold we scooped up with our hands was a little over 340 ounces!.

We dug that spot for four or five more days. we only recovered about one or two oz.s a day and finaly gave up and went back to digging in the creek.
My partner to this day swears we just hit a placer pocket?
I'll let you decide.
The real kicker was a few months later after we decided to quit that spot and moved all of our equipment off the property the land owners son went in there and on a whim dug about
40 oz.s of small gold in a few shovels full of gravel packed under were our bucket line waste stacker was at the end of the sluice boxes. I still wonder how much went out into the tailing
piles that day. True Story.
Take care out there, AzNuggetBob

Like always Bob, another interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Bob head in there with a new GPZ 7000 and get rich.

I could go along with the pocket idea except for the pottery pieces, I think you hit the tribes bank roll.

Great story Bob! I think you found one of those pots. 21 lbs is a bunch of gold when all you was getting was an ounce or so a day. Who knows, maybe you got all of them. Nice!

Holy Cow!

Man, that must have been exciting.

Glad you were part of it :)
Tom H.

Hey guys
ya that was a day you never forget.To this day I still wonder about it.

49goldrushtradingpost

I got an offer from a Discovery producer a few months ago. I decided to pass.
I will tell you they are working on a pilot for a series from day one gold mining in the U.S. to gold mining today.

thats all I can say.
I think there are a lot of so called lost mines that have been found, and I think your going to hear about some of them soon. :200:
AzNuggetBob

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob,

Great story. It must have been awesome to see a golden header. I used to work "Pee Creek"

and some other locations near Weaver back in the day, before gold shot up to $800 an ounce and

crazies started to take shots at each other. Did you know Tom "Van" or Herb Jackson?

Ben

Hey Bob,

Great story. It must have been awesome to see a golden header. I used to work "Pee Creek"

and some other locations near Weaver back in the day, before gold shot up to $800 an ounce and

crazies started to take shots at each other. Did you know Tom "Van" or Herb Jackson?

Ben

Ben

Herb Jackson sound familiar. did you ever meet C. O. Carlson or one arm Jack the preacher at Octave? Do you know how one armed Jack lost his arm? AzNuggetBob

Hi Bob,

No, i never met Carlson or Preacher Jack, but I remember the crosses that Jack put up all over that area, including some very remote spots.

Was Carson the mine caretaker at the Octave mine? I did meet the caretaker but can't recall his name, while metal detecting the Octave ore dump.

One Christmas, while a bunch of us club members were camped at the LDMA property, about six of us did some nugget shooting on a slope on the

north side of Weaver creek. A local guy pulled up in an ancient pickup truck as we were putting on gear, and I was ground-balancing my new, hi-tech,

latest, gold machine ( a Garrett A-2B). He had just bought a used, White's DI series coin machine, and he asked for some help to run it. We showed

him how to adjust and balance it, and he drove off, but mentally, we pretty much wrote off any chances that he would find any gold with a coin detector.

Late in the afternoon, Jerry Crance and I were hunting cottontails just off the road, about two thirds of the way from Stanton To Congress, and there

was a huge rooster-tail of dust from someone going about sixty, screaming towards town. It's the guy from the morning with the White's. He recognized

my truck and pulled over to show us a thumb-shaped nugget he'd found, (weighing 1 ounce and 8 grains) while detecting on the Antelope side. He was

completely over the edge, but I did manage to get photos before he took off for that saloon where the road meets the highway is. I heard later, that he

sold it there for less than it was worth BY WEIGHT, and blew most of the cash.

Ben

Ben

Back then a lot of people didnt think you could find gold with a coin machine (pre specialized gold machines) and often laughed when I asked permission to hunt on their claims with my coin machine and usually just said go ahead.

I think we all know who got the last laugh. :4chsmu1:

Ben I have seen a ton of gold get sold in bars! its were I sold a lot of my gold. at one time, I knew of several bartenders in several states that traded cash or drinks for gold, just like the good ol days. and we even sold to patrons in the bar. we didnt always get a great price for it but it was an easy sell for quick cash when we were out on the road. I even sold gold nugget jewlery in the bars. That was back when you had to check in your gun at the bar or not. :)

Ive seen a lot of wild times around Rich Hill and many other gold mining areas too.

To make a long story short.

This was back in the early 1980's

Carlson told us he was the care taker or owner of the Octave claims. he was a nice guy and always allowed us to hunt/prospect on his claims. as I recall he was threatened and forced off by preacher Jack and his group using a claim jumping ruse. even though the Octave was patented claims. so Carlson camped near by, just off the Octave claims and had a running feud going with them for some time.

It seems the sheriff didnt understand mining claim laws at that time and decided not to get involved so Carlson was forced to take it through the courts. anyway they were finaly forced off the Octave claims by court order and they moved out to a mine out near constellation rd. east of Wickenburg. Carlson warned us the preacher was a loose cannon and to beware of him. I only met the preacher twice, once near Octave and once out at Constellation. both times he threatened me/us and said we were trespassing on his mining claims, even though we werent even prospecting or even on the Octave claims the first time we met, and just driving around in my truck the second time out at Constellation.

So How did one armed Jack loose his arm?

Well I was told he was in the process of doing one of his famous claim evictictions , and jumped out of his truck and reached behind the seat and grabbed his shotgun by the end of the barrel and when he tried to pull it out the of the truck the trigger snagged something and blew his arm off just above the elbow! and he became known as one armed Jack ever since.

Note:

As far as I know, the current owner of the Octave area claims does not allow the public to prospect on his claims.

AzNuggetBob

Hey Bob,

That Jack lost his arm, does not surprise me. Though I never met him, many people told me that

he was bat-poop crazy, and to leave if we ran into him. I remember hearing other folks confirm that

warning even when we would go into Congress to buy more beans and hot dogs from the Chinaman's

store. Later, when gold hit $800, and people were getting shot, we stopped prospecting that area,

as we would have to take turns watching for wack-jobs that over-filed every claim in the District, and

were out to shoot anyone they even thought, was on their paper-claim.

I was sad about that nugget, because if I had known he would sell it that low, I'd have bought it

and re-sold it for a huge profit. It was in the eighties, so my photos are not digital, but I will find it

and scan it to post here.

Ben

oh Ya Ben I remember the 80's gold rush. shook all the nuts out of the trees. for those of us that had been around awhile it wasnt hard to spot the wanabes trying to sell worthless paper. the BLM and the county recorders office didnt help by gladly accepting their filing fees further convincing them they had valid claims. I'll bet the lumber yards made a killin on claim posts alone. In Nevada I heard there was a canadian company tossing 4" sewer pipe out of airplanes every few seconds. :D

AzNuggetBob

Thanks Frank its good to hear people like reading my stories. some of these may seem wild and they were. you always seem to remember the wild ones the most. Im getting older and decided to share some. I'm semi-retired these days I dont get out as often as I'd like too, as Ben said most of my photo's are older too and on paper if you know what I mean. you cant make this stuff up. hopefully everyone can learn from them, I did. and not just the prospecting. some of what Ive learned working for larger mining companies too. Some of the great people I've met hunting or even selling big nuggets too. or just enjoy reading about the fun and adventures Ive had traveling and prospecting all over the west and Mexico. every once in a while somebody says something that brings back great old memories. and I have to say I have a lot of fun sharing them. and some of the nugget hunting secrets that have worked for me. I used to say one of the best secrets I learned was to hang out at the local bar or around the camp fire in any mining area and you can learn a lot listening to gold stories from the oldest fart in the bar, Hmmm Im begining to sound like one too. :89::D AzNuggetBob

That's a great bunch of stories, Bob... I do remember the early '80's when gold peaked ... I had an arrangement with this good looking wild child red-headed bar tender named Sherrie ... We had a thing worked out where I would sit at the end of an L shaped bar when tourists came in,...Sat there staring at my beer acting all depressed ... (Those days I had big beard and long bushy hair and looked the part of a back hills miner, which, of course, I was!) ... Sherrie would engage the tourists in conversation and casually mention, "You ought to see the gold nugget jewelry that guy has," motioning towards me ... That was my cue to look up and make eye contact with the tourists ... I had a cigarette tin that was black velvet lined in which I kept a few pennyweight sized nugget pendants on cheap 10K gold chains ... I'd hand Sherrie the tin and she would set it in front of the tourists allowing them to open it up ... When they oo'd and ahh'd over the nuggets, she would pull one out and hold it to the woman's neck and say how good it looked on her ... Then she would encourage the woman to go into the bathroom and try it on ... When the woman came back out with the pendant on, I knew the deal was done and all I had to do was name my price ... I would usually start out at $250 (gold was about $40/DWT and it cost me $2.00 to have a bail put on) ... Then the husband/boyfriend would start dickering with me ... I'd let him talk me down to around $195 and make the deal, cash, telling him I normally wouldn't let it go that cheap, but I needed to eat (which I did) ... That worked out to nearly $4,000/ OZT in 1980 dollars ... After the deal was done, I'd leave the bar then come back in a short time after the tourists left and give Sherrie her 10% we'd already agreed on ... Those were the days! ... :old: ... Cheers, Unc

Wow Ron 4000.00 an oz.in 1980 you were workin it. I had a simular thing going with some of the bartenders, only not so polished and profitable as yours.

When someone walked in the door the bar tender would always make a point of asking well Bob did you find any gold nuggets today? OUT LOUD. you say gold nuggets out loud it seems to get everybodys attention. I either had my large clear plastic asprin bottle full of nuggets (BTW the large ones hold 14 oz.'s) and or my little nugget jewelry bar display case. people seem so dazzled by raw nuggets or jewelry and most had no idea what it was worth. you could just throw a price out there and they would buy it. actually many times they got it cheaper from me than if they bought it in a jewlery store. some would ask are these real? and the bartender would vouch for me and the gold. and there was always those that werent so sucessful at finding gold and of course once you own it, it comes with bragging rights too. traveling all around the west there were times I was gold rich and cash poor and a long way from home and ended up taking a beating on some of it at pawn shops. The only thing I didnt like was accepting checks and wouldn't unless the bartender knew and could vouch for the people writing them. often times if the bartender had enough cash he would cash them for me. Hey Banko-deBar. retail sales, a watering hole, and a financial institution, what more could you ask for. most were small town gold area bars that the bartender knew people that bought,sold or collected gold and would call them up and have them come down to see what I had when I was in town. once they got to know me I would go to there house and sell it. after awhile I finaly developed a list of collectors. I would never whip this stuff out in a bar in downtown Phoenix, Im not that crazy. There were other times I just sold at swap meets and then came the Net. I think I sold more gold in bars than at the swap meet and I didnt have to pay for the stool space. although I had to tip the bartender more than usual.

I'll tell ya some of the people I met selling gold. some of them millionaires. just dripping in money. some had collections that would rival museums. and not just gold. relics and artifacts too. Ive seen some stuff I wish I just had photo's of it. I thought about writing some of the stories about selling to them here but I cant give up their names.some of the stories are priceless.

here is a shot of my old bar sales case. I dont remember the weight of the gold but the case is about 10" long. take care out there, AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-49815600-1427347231_thumb.j

Hi Bob,

Great case there, and I am definitely impressed by an aspirin bottle full of gold. What was the most unusual, or oddest-

shaped nugget that you ever sold?

Ben

Ill tell ya Ben I sold a few that I wished I wouldnt have. are we talkin crystalline gold? but they were more size than shape II still have one that I found in Nv. that is almost a perfect cross. about an inch long. not for sale! Ill tell ya Ben back in the day to me gold was just a commodity. alot of them are more where I found them rather than shape

I melted a lot of it. one I had if you laid it down and drew a line around the edge it looked just like George Washington, not kidding.

I dont read a lot into their shapes like some do. If its not obvious or their small into the smelter you go. I really cant remember a lot of them unless they were big. out of all of them I guess it was probably that 8.3/4 I found on the back side of potato patch. AzNuggetBob

• 1 year later...

Wow!  These stories brought back some dusty old memories, especially about one arm preacher Jack.  I spent two days with him and his followers back in about 1981. I was green and wanted to learn dredging. He had two four inch dredges working some dammed up water where constellation road ended. He said to me one day, that you must be wondering how I lost my arm right? Then went on to say that he had his truck roll over and crushed it. Later on he told me that the Russians were going to take over the United States and that he would be executed by them for his beliefs. I worked with two of his followers from Sun up to Sun down working the gold dredges.  At the end of the day we carried the heavy mats and cons in a big wash tub and it was locked up tight. He did not want me looking too close at what we had found. Jack and some others were trying to talk me into going back to Phoenix and sell everything I had and join up and do God's work with them. Needless to say, I never went back. A few years later I was talking to an old timer at Congress and he said that preacher Jack lost his arm from a 45 slug over a dispute near Octave. I later heard he and some others were arrested in Kingman for illeagal arm sales. Heck, now my brain hurts from thinking so far back. Small brain small hurt though. Thanks to you all for these great stories.