Nugget Shooter Forums
49goldrushtradingpost

Help !! Can't Ground Balance

Well this morning started out sunny and cool, I thought about ditching the shop today till 1 or so this afternoon and do some detecting. Got to my spot and birds were singing, grass wet from morning dew and it's gona be a golden day :). Got my 4500 all geared up , auto tune and next is ground balance....that's when everything took a :ROFL: major spin the other way. I tried everything so I am hoping someone here can direct me towards the path of golden dreams again. As usual last 2 years I do the same routine I auto tune push the green button and balance in fixed mode. Nothing seems to work, I changed the coils, went into default and tried again, I pulled out the smart connector that controls the little green button, nothing seems to work. I put it in tracking mode and tried , nothing !! :idunno::idunno: ...one thing I noticed is when I tried it in tracking mode I still hear the beep in the headphones, so would this give me an indication that the auto ground system is fine and its an internal problem in the box?? I don't know....I hope its not. If anyone has any suggestions please type away. ohh and the battery was at 8 volts full charge.....

What is it doing that makes you think its not ground balanced?
Have you tried it in a whole different area?

Another coil?
Tom H.

Hey Tom,

Yes I tried a different coil and the area is totally clear of trash. Yesterday it was fine but after a while it went crazy , and I tried ground balancing it for a half hour and nothing . As I raise the coil up and down it makes a loud noise going up and down...usually as you know, on the down sweep it get quite. So at this moment I am perplexed..I am going to try ground balancing at home this afternoon to see if I can get it to work. Does anyone know if there is a U.S. Minelab repair facility? I am thinking of just sending it in for a check up ??

Edited by 49goldrushtradingpost

Bring it by and I will look at it, could be a few things.... How old is the power cord?

Hi Bill,

I wish I could but I am in California. Power cord is not old and has worked fine, I do have spares so i will try out a few things like changing more coils, change battery and power cord. I will also reset it at factory settings. I called Minelab service department today but they were out. Bill thanks for the offer

Fred

So I got home and replaced the power cord, changed the coil and replaced battery.....it appears that it may have worked. I am not sure which of the three changes did it, but I will give it a shot in the morning to see if I am back to the business. I do have a power line near my house and still have some EMI, but it appeared that it ground balanced, tomorrow I will know for sure...Bill thanks for suggesting the power cord, maybe that did it, and Gary since we spoke about the coils I did change it...maybe that did it.

Fred

Edited by Relichunter2

Fred, if I had to bet, its that coil with the lose {broken} fitting, shorted something out, inside the box. The coil potting should not move like that one does, its bad for sure, and I bet it blew a resistor or something inside the box, . Would not be the first time a coil blew something in a minelab. Grubstake

Lets hope that did it, Fred. Got my fingers crossed for you.I sure would not use that cil with the lose fitting, its broken lose on the coil . It should never ever move around like that one does. Grubstake

Edited by grubstake

Hey Gary,

No I am done with that small coil ...it found me gold and it's time to retire it. I have the sadie on now...and appears like it works. Worst case , I send it in for repairs if I did damage something internally. Plus I have plenty of coils left..... :) Nice seeing your wonderful wife and her sidekick...... :4chsmu1:

Yeh, thanks Fred, She has 8 more DR. Apointments left this month, And I have one to get the skin cancer off on Monday. In Merced. 4 of hers are in Merced. As you can see! DRS. run our lives. Gary

Fred,

If its not the coil, a friend in Oz had a similar problem, turned out to be the battery.

Hey Rege,

Yeah, I am wondering about that too....I just bought it a few months ago. I will give that one a try again to see if that' what it was because I have a hard time believing I have all of a sudden two bad coils when I have been using them on and off for a while with no problems...I did change the power cord, I will narrow it down to one of the three in the next few days. I can live with a bad cord or coil, even the battery as I bought it used for half the price of a new one.

Could it be the ground mineralzation is not heavy and your detector and coil doesn't require the need

to be ground balanced?

Fred, Ive had a bad cord do some real weird things. Might have been that?

• Like 1

I had it happen to me last fall with my extreme. New battery, purchased in march of that same year. Went out and about an hour into the hunt things got wierd. Started sounding like cop sirens in the threshold. Ha I was even looking around to see why there were sirens way the heck out where we were. Then it started getting louder and like you said, would not ground balance at all. Luckily I had my spare battery with me. I never had a battery go bad on me so I was freaking out thinking my machine gave up the ghost. It was strange. Hope you fixed it.

Dan

• Like 1

Exact same thing just happened to me. I figured it meant a trip to M/L service. First thing I did was change the power cord.... BINGO, problem fixed

• Like 1

Hey just got back from a hunt and I got it working. Looks like it's either the battery or power cord...I did not stop to figure it out as I was hunting...but i am jazzed I did not have to send the sucker for service. It's either the power cord or the battery...as of now. Coils good.....seems its a common problem, but an easy fix... :yesss:

I can't tell you the number of power cords I have had to repair because they were overstretched by being caught on a branch of some bush or tree ... or the infamous cactus spine! I've learned how to effectively use a little bit of solder and shrink wrap. Now I have gone to Doc's set-up on the side of my GPX5000 control box ... problem solved.

Mike F

Mike,

Now I am starting to think of going in that direction.... once my gpx Minelab batteries go, I will get one of those side battery thingies. But yeah, the dang cords....pain in the rear....

Suggestion for the future, make one change at a time, same as in settings. Pain in the butt, but does save time in troubleshooting.

• Like 1

Fred,

I sent my 5000 to ML and they called me and said nothing was wrong. I told them ... it had problems. They changed the motherboard for free. I got it back and I still had problems. I called them and they sent me a new power cord for free and it was fixed.

What I can't figure out about your problem Fred is how it gave you two IDs on the forum? (49goldrushtradingpost, Relichunter2) Both IDs have the same problem? :)

Good suggestion Shep, I registered from two different computers....I am a relichunter2 at home, and at the shop I am 49goldrushtradingpost.....two computers two IDs.....I did not do it intentionally I tried to log on at the shop with relichunter2 but forgot my password or something and I just registered from shop computer with different ID, hence two ids.... :)

It was the battery....I rotated the batteries and the one I bought 3 months ago or so was the one that made the 4500 go sirens.....so heads up to anyone who's detector goes nuts....anyone want a battery real cheap? :brows: