Nugget Shooter Forums

Mucking out a Pocket Mine

GeoJack

I've been working on this hole for a bit of time. Found this interesting formation along the way. Quartz reef can be seen on the right, 45° dip. Boulder looking material is crumbly material. Gossan surrounds the quartz on both sides.

Still have not found the bottom of the original 49er's working area.

Only trash in the diggins was a horse shoe. Very clean area, no cans or trash and less than 10 square nails. Found more boot tacks than anything. Well, other than AU.

Buckets and shovel only.

On the Mother Lode.

post-25522-0-74995800-1425318199_thumb.j

Edited by GeoJack

Yes, crushing, panning and beeping along the way.

Loose AU in the tailing piles and in some of the mucked out material. Seems the digging was caved after the original miner was done. What you see is where he stopped digging except for the bottom which I am still mucking out.

Sampling of the gossan on both sides of the quartz show nothing. post-25522-0-01243900-1425322381_thumb.j

Au from tailing piles show free gold was there.

Found one vug with AU during the clean out. Was marked with the horse shoe, as in the horse shoe was buried against the face of the vug. Miner left me a message.

post-25522-0-01243900-1425322381_thumb.j

Direction of reef and approximate size / thickness of vein across the opening.

post-25522-0-81080400-1425322641_thumb.j

Edited by GeoJack

Nice digging! I found one helluva hole myself the other day. It went down about 30 ft. with two drifts angling off to the NE and SE. I'm almost tempted to bring a rope ladder and crawl down and have a look see. If so, I'll definitely have somebody with me, otherwise it's way too risky for my tastes.

Cool story. Interesting about the horse shoe :)
Hope there's some nice stuff at the bottom!
Tom H.

Amen GJ as purt near nuttn' gets past them righteous GB2 as I will always coveth my old faithful,that small coil works miracles. If you can find old coils they are built better,last longer and find smaller porous gold also. Sure miss the REAL Fisher quality-John

Dave Wiseman,

I sold you (and met you up Jackson for coffee) my old crusher when I bought the Bico Chipmunk. Now I don't need it either. I sure wish that I had the time these days to prospect, but my kids are 7 and 8. Enough said. I hope all is well with you and you are getting out finding that pocket of gold. You are tops in my book when it somes to working hard rock. Your articles are second to none and should be printed.

GeoJack-If you are down with an injury we can figure out another time to meet up. I am in no hurry to sell the crusher (but my wife wants it out of the garage!!!). No hurry and I am happy to give you any advise at any time. My 5000 has only been turned on 1 time in the last 2 years. The gold will always be there to find, but my kids are only this age 1 time! Coaching every sport and being there for my family is all I care about these days.

Matt

Matt,My mining days are over due to poor physical health.Yes I clearly recall the transaction in Jackson,Ca. for the Braun lightning crusher.After getting it home a neighbour of mine who is a miner and mining engineer took it apart and cleaned and greased everthing,along with building a sturdy metal stand for it.I sent photos of the jaw crusher to the Bico-Braun headquarters and received a reply saying they couldn't find a record of that model and it must be one of the earliest made by Braun(perhaps 1910) or earlier.In any case I gave it to Kuger who posts mostly on the Treasurenet forums.He was my prospecting partner for awhile and is a well known artifact hunter(belt buckles,Chinese ephemora,etc.)...along with dredging when it was permissible in California.....Matt,at first I thought you were Kugers friend Matt from the southern part of the motherlode country who hunts for gold......

Edited by David Wiseman

Very sorry to hear Dave :th: I'm in the midst of back hell and see Laser Doc today. Rebuilt both knees twice,both elbows,beat Hep C2b,cancers,liver bs,kidney stones,gall stones and NEVER A GONNA STOP. Ya jus' gotta get a mite stubborn BUT coveth them kids beyond anything as they all grow up tooooo darn fast. Respect-John :old:

Matt, you can store the crusher at my place anytime! And, that one time Matt turned on his 5000 he was his usual self and popped out a nugget in his first few minutes.