Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX5000?

Ive been a long time user of the GP3500 and have been really happy with it. Now that the GPZ7000 is out Ive noticed GPX’s being sold used at a price cheaper than my GP3500 purchase price. With the GPZ being out of my price range would it be smart to buy a used GPX5000? Im curious to know if the performance of the 5000 compared to the 3500 would be worth the upgrade?

DP

YES ... the switch is worth it for sure in my minds eye and actual use ... HOWEVER ... what Fred said has a lot of credibility too. The GPX5000 is a lot more complicated than the GP3500 but then the GP3500 is more complicated than the earlier SD2200. There is a learning curve but once understood and maybe getting a little instruction from a successful long time user of a GPX5000 will certainly shorten the curve.

Mike F

I appreciate all your inputs. In what way does the 5000 have the edge over the 3500? Is it more stable or does it detect deeper than the 3500?

DP

I've always thought the 3500 was a break through ... Guys who couldn't buy a nugget before they got that unit started finding lots of gold... I've never used one and continue to hunt with my 4500, tho' occasionally break out my ol' Baboo 2100 (which has found me most of my gold over the years) just for old times sake and I love it's sound ... I'm a bit discombuberated over the closely spaced release of the SDC 2300 and almost immediate release of the 7000 ... Something doesn't seem right about that, but I can not put my finger on it ... I'm always way behind the curve, so by the time the GZ Gazzillion comes out, I'll probably pick up a 7K (for $1,800) ... Cheers, Unc

DP ... My opinion here ... the 5000 has a couple timings that the 3500 doesn't have that helps to smooth out the threshold therefore possibly resulting in more depth because you can hear those deeper targets with the smoother threshold. A lot still depends on the operator. A well informed and experienced 3500 operator can run circles around someone with a new 5000. If you like your 5000 and it is producing well for you why do you want to change other than just being newer technology?

Mike F

I took my 5000 to a number of patches I'd worked hard with my GP Extreme and got some nice gold. The difference between the Extreme and the 3500 is minor other than the ground balance button in the 3500. The 5000 has a lot more flexibility, but with that comes learning how to get the most out of the settings. If you are willing to put in the time to learn it, the 5000 is a more powerful machine and will certainly find small gold your 3500 has missed.