Nugget Shooter Forums

Pretty wood opal

WTG Chris

Im not much of a rock hound but some of those pieces look like they would slab/polish up nice.

Good luck to ya!!

Tom H.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey John, I just saw your post on here. Thanks man, I'm glad you are as excited about this stuff as I am too. Yes, I am still hunting for more. the place I hunt is close to town so I usually take my dog everyday so she can run and I can search for more. I have figured out the type of gravel I think it is occurring in and I'm getting better at spotting likely spots for it. Haven't found any big patches lately but I always come home with a few pieces, and pockets full of normal petrified wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi- new here but do not want to be a member who just shows up for ID's and leaves again. Sorry to butt in to your thread- opal is an interest and a ton of other things. It's tough to find information in forums! I ' think ' most feel you're bringing them a moldy cat ball you've dug up in your back yard and really wish someone would tell you it's a dinosaur egg. Honest- we just live in an uber cool area, always wanted to know what the heck is around here. Plus- believe it or not, have zero desire to have this place torn all up, love to just know what's here, that's all! We have common opal, pretty sure some fire opal- and fossils. That's actually where we keep running into problems. They're here alright, we've just stopped telling anyone. You can only be called a nut so many times before you give up. The professionals tell us there are none here so.... OK!

Is it ok to post photos on this thread, if they are opal questions or better to start another?

Hi- new here but do not want to be a member who just shows up for ID's and leaves again. Sorry to butt in to your thread- opal is an interest and a ton of other things. It's tough to find information in forums! I ' think ' most feel you're bringing them a moldy cat ball you've dug up in your back yard and really wish someone would tell you it's a dinosaur egg. Honest- we just live in an uber cool area, always wanted to know what the heck is around here. Plus- believe it or not, have zero desire to have this place torn all up, love to just know what's here, that's all! We have common opal, pretty sure some fire opal- and fossils. That's actually where we keep running into problems. They're here alright, we've just stopped telling anyone. You can only be called a nut so many times before you give up. The professionals tell us there are none here so.... OK!

Is it ok to post photos on this thread, if they are opal questions or better to start another?

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsupanim

It would be best for you to start your own topic so as not to hi-jack Chris' topic on "wood opals" and yes you can post photos in any topic as long as it's on topic.

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsupanim

It would be best for you to start your own topic so as not to hi-jack Chris' topic on "wood opals" and yes you can post photos in any topic as long as it's on topic.

This.

I find rocks that look a lot like some of those photos about twenty miles east and North of Payson in the Mongollon Rim. Unfortunately, no pictures. I wonder if those are opalized wood also. It's probably about 50 miles outside of the petrified forest. Its a rather light weighing rock.

Might be opalized wood you are finding Chrisski. All of it that I find, the inside (the opalized portion) is a lot like glass. Agates usually have more rounded edges because they are harder. It seems like all the breaks and fractured edges on the opalized stuff stays pretty sharp, it is not tough enough to stand up to erosion so it just breaks and doesn't get rounded and smoothed like harder stuff. Also, another dead giveaway is the grain patterns of course. Most of it has very obvious grain patterns inside. On the outside there is usually a rough and plain looking layer on top of the opalized stuff. The outside will usually show very obvious plant/tree like patterns and grains too. I'm sure there's lots of different types but that's what the stuff I find is like. Some people look at it and don't really make the connection that it was once a tree. I show it to people around here and people are always telling me "oh I find that all the time" "my yard is full of that stuff" and yet when I see what they are finding it is not even close.

Caliche Chris--Thanks. I wish I had grabbed a sample of it. There's way too much of it spread around the moggolon rim East of Payson for it to all be opalized wood. Unfortunately, it'll probably be around March until I get up there again. It was a clay brown with white layers. I didn't take a sample because I concentrate on Gold, but I want to try other things now.