Nugget Shooter Forums

Neighborhood Cats

GeoJack

Garimpo,

I didn't take them. A photographer in the area did at his home. Snagged it from Facebook. There, I said it, I am on Facebook. Yeesh.

It was reported by the photographer as a pride of three cats, momma, yearling and a cub.

Edited by GeoJack

I have about 100 yards to walk out my driveway to set out the trash cans for pickup. Normally I do this after dinner. Last night the hair was standing up on the back of my neck. Spooky knowing those cats are around.

#1 always carry day or night.......err on the side of caution always....wish you fellas all the luck in the world as bears no big deal but them sneaky silent cats welllllllllllllllllllll - :old: John

#1 always carry day or night.......err on the side of caution always....wish you fellas all the luck in the world as bears no big deal but them sneaky silent cats welllllllllllllllllllll - :old: John

I started to reply earlier, but figured I'd let someone suggest this first....Long story short....I used to fish, pan/prospect quite often unarmed...did so since I was a kid....no problems....but after 20+ years of not being hunted in Ca. I was finally confronted by one back around 1991. Thought sure I was gonna get eaten & ain't entirely sure why I wasn't....probably because I instantly grew 10-12ft. & suddenly smelled like poop.... :brows: either that or he wasn't hungry. if I think there's even a "REMOTE" chance of an encounter, I'll be packin!

I was hiking one time in the mountains. Stopped to take a breather near some rock outcrops. While I was standing there, I heard a cat "purring". I looked up and a "bag cat" was about 10 feet above me purring like crazy. We looked at each other for a few seconds and then it disappeared...

I camped in the wrong place near Mad River in N. CA in 1975 ... Big moma cat and her cub were headed to the river and I was in their path ... Moma left the baby in the rocks and started stalking me ... Ended up about 10 feet from me and i fired a .22 into the ground about 5 times...She didn't even flinch, just dropped down on her belly like she was going to pounce ... I was standing at the end of my pickup bed and made it to the door of the cab in two big strides, got inside and just sat ... Cat circled the truck a bunch of times, screaming all the while ... Finally, she and the little one headed on through the timber toward the river ... The experience was a thrill AFTER it was over ... I was being all brave and self assured about it when she first started coming toward me until I realized she was hard core serious and really was going to attack ... I've encountered the big cats quite a few times, but that was the only time I have to say I got scared!!!! ... Cheers, Unc

One time I was following a skid road down a ridgetop. I heard time lion yell at me and I looked to my right. There it was about 25 yards away. I picked up a rock and pitched it at it. It ran down the hill. I went on down the road about 100 feet and there it was... yelled at me again. I pitched a rock again. To make a long story short, it did it about 6 times again. When I got to the landowners house at the bottom of the hill, he asked me if I had seen the lion with its cubs? He said he forgot to warn me that she lived up there....thanks!

I have heard that since most big cats when they're stalking prey or "you" they will never approach from the front and always attack from behind when in stalking/hunting mode, so some experts have said it helps to be "two faced" and that wearing a face mask backward so it appears it's your face instead the back of your head will usually stop or at least delay a big cat from stalking and or attacking from behind, not sure if it will work but makes sense because in most lion attacks I have read about the victim was always attacked from behind, other advice I've read from lion experts is if you're aware of a big cat stalking you or nearby to always try and face them down never turn your back to them or run, try make yourself appears bigger if possible by raising your hands and or if you have something you can hold in your hands/arms that will make you appear bigger often will help stop an attack, also in one such incidence a bicyclist was attacked from the rear but got out of the lion's grasp long enough to face the cat and hold his bicycle in front of him which made him appear bigger but also the bike was a shield of sorts between him and the cat, it worked, the cat after a few minutes gave up and left, the bicyclist escape with a few nasty wounds to the back of his neck, much better than having his neck snapped by the lion's jaws and pulled off the trail into the forest for dinner!!