Nugget Shooter Forums
TomH

Brutal skunk!

Wow...

So today cowkiller and I take the bikes out and want to get to a area that looks pretty nice.

Bout 8 miles of easy riding we get to the spot that has hung me up with the Yoto and quad for a year or so. But! were on bikes!!!

Scoot up the nasty part and guess what.....it only get worse! We're talking 12 inch

single trail in some areas.

The trail was loose, rocky, 500 ft drop off on the left and 50deg uphill on the right, nasty climbs but the downhills weren't too bad.

Well after about 3/4 mile and me dumping my bike 3 times and killer having to

bail me out and help me...we get to a Plateau

Remember...packs on the front and packs on our backs..it throws you off. Well me anyway...Killer was scooting all around on his fat tire Yamaha.

We can see the area about a mile away but it only gets worse.

Killer tells me, I aint gonna be offended if we turn around here.

Well by that time im toast. Legs feel like rubber bands and im panting like a

Kentucky derby horse after the race.

Ok, lemme rest!!! :)Ok, let those dang 20 yr. old kids blast around on this trail. Its

killing me at 54! :(

Did the smart thing and turned around, sucks cuz we could see it but after that little jaunt I don't think I could detect it!

Well we backtrack over the trail that is a 10 on the pucker factor, looking off to the right and saying Im going to die if I fall that way, and get

to the freeway. Dirt road.

Go down lower and meet up with BD. Hes drywashing and enjoying life with some friends.

After that we went up a wash and did some detecting and got some junk.

Then hit another area that ive gotten some gold out of but to no avail.

After about 6 dumps, 300 kickstarts, im toast!!!

Finally headed back to the trucks. Lordy, they look so nice when you see them

:)

Self medicating right now with Ibeprophen and liquid stuff :) Still feel like a rubber band!

It was really a great day out, saw some new stuff, almost killed myself, and

got to hang with a friend :)PLUS!!!! got back in one piece.

Tks for helping the old guy out killer :)))

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 2

Sounds like you had a good time anyhow, and if bd was drywashing at least someone got some yellow! Great story!

Sounds like a fun day. The more you ride the easier it gets. Just keep at it. :thumbsupanim

This story sucks without pictures :D

I agree that pictures would be nice, but I imagine with the pucker factor of trying not to fall to one's death and picking up a bike over and over there's wasn't much time or thought for pictures!

I told you Tom...there are some hairy single tracks out here!!! Whats really fun is when you have managed to survive a long uphill from hell, and the trail suddenly goes up a cliff...those young motocross guys just blast right up to those cliffs and pop up the front tire and hammer down. I have seen some of those guys do some amazing things on a bike. Where as my bones might break just looking at that stuff!!! It does get easier though :-)

Edited by ArcticDave

Yes show us were the place is and we will try and get there for you :D

strick

I know exactly how you feel Tom. I could feel the fear reading your story. I used to ride with a group of District 37 desert racers(So. Cal). What they deemed as fun, I thought was deadly. Learned to be a decent rider following them around, but wow, pucker factor x 10. :WOW:

That's what I refer to as being stuck in the mud, n'the blood and the beer.......afterwards that is. Like posts with great results but REALITY posts like this are what it's really like soooooo much of the time. Glad ya got home in one piece,don't them funny fat tired thangs just blow your mind as stick like glue....tons a au 2 u 2 next time out-John

It sucks even worse cuz I was there! :P

Tom

• Like 2

Lol Tom that is one way to put it. You missed one part tho. I was hurtin too. I'm still hurting this morning. It was a fun... Rard ride. I'm going to take a few days off I should be good next weekend.... Hopefully.

Glad I didn't go. I get all crippled up trying to kick start one of those things. I hope this gives young Ton a little more understanding for my condition after a day out. :old:

Old Tom

Edited by Old Tom

Sounds fun Tom!!! Great story. Keep up ridin every couple weeks and pretty soon you'll be back to blasting through that stuff. I've ridin nasty Colorado trails with guys 10 years older than you that were fast too. They just sat down a lot to save energy and setup there suspension softer.

I told you Tom...there are some hairy single tracks out here!!! Whats really fun is when you have managed to survive a long uphill from hell, and the trail suddenly goes up a cliff...those young motocross guys just blast right up to those cliffs and pop up the front tire and hammer down. I have seen some of those guys do some amazing things on a bike. Where as my bones might break just looking at that stuff!!! It does get easier though :-)

You mean like this Dave!

post-27032-0-94829000-1424660291_thumb.j

post-27032-0-52469200-1424660366_thumb.j

I was jumping out of wash with 14' tall vertical side walls, drop in one side pop up the other. The top couple feet was completely 90 degrees.

I'd love to know where some of those hairy single track trails are Dave. Especially in the LSD and Lake Pleasant area... :brows:

• Like 1

p

Edited by TomH

Now I want a bike, thanks guys, as if I didnt have enough money tied up in toys...

Dang Adam...are you into pain or something? :)

They are fun but they will cause you to sleep really good after a days ride :)

Tom H.

Shay.........

Those pics are NOT going to happen with me. :P Oh wait...tell me your gonna do this 30 yrs from now when your my age...Ill sit back and watch :)

You want to break your neck...Ill give you the cords! :)

I could let you go up first and blow all the rocks and loose stuff out of the way with your 2cycle...then I could putts up after I get some sprocket changes on my end.

I do need to get out more on the bike and get my legs back :O

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

I agree that pictures would be nice, but I imagine with the pucker factor of trying not to fall to one's death and picking up a bike over and over there's wasn't much time or thought for pictures!

Perfectly said!!!

Tom

You'll do fine Tom once you get that gear arrangement figured out, and suspension tuning, and lightin up a bit on that death grip on the handle bars. :ROFL::4chsmu1:
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

You'll do fine Tom once you get that gear arrangement figured out, and suspension tuning, and lightin up a bit on that death grip on the handle bars. :ROFL::4chsmu1:

AzNuggetBob

Oh...you know about that death grip?...yah. I was feeling that, but my dang arms were rubber also. :(

Ill get it....just got to go and do it more :)

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Tom I've been riding bikes for years, Ya I know about the dreaded BT10 death grip. :D:4chsmu1: AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Tom dont get me wrong. I joke around about some of this stuff. Give me a call and I'll help you get that bike tuned to you!. you got my number. or check your PM's AzNuggetBob