Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold From Different Countries

mn90403

Have any of you ever had the experience of having to give proof that gold you have came from a certain state or country?

Let's say you find or buy gold nuggets and specimens from Arizona, California, Canada, China, Australia, NZ, Mexico, etc and you don't have a receipt. After you return to the US you decide to sell it and someone tells you that gold from Australia or Arizona is worth more than gold from California to a collector.

What verification can be provided? Just a statement from the owner that you found or bought it at a certain time or date?

Moot point as beautiful specimens will always demand highest dollar. Verifications are --in the field at spot of discovery with a current newspaper from that day in a photo date stamped. All else blue sky/bs as even that is easily faked. El Dorado has gotten his hands os some righteous spidery laced pieces from the orient as see on his website and posted here also. Karat,beauty,size and rareity of form always rules in my book. County/state no-John

Great question,

I suppose if I were buying gold specimens I would first buy from the prospector who has found them in the field , second would be from a reputable dealer who has been in the business for many years. But I do agree with John regarding the look, and quality of the specimen would come first, if I liked it and its character...regardless of where it came from I would buy it. I have heard that California nuggets are bringing in higher dollar because of the dredging moratorium. Also Californian happens to be one of the best sources of crystalline specimen gold anywhere in the world. Australian gold is high grade karat, but if you notice the price from California gold it usually runs lower, take for example the "Butte Nugget" and look at some Australian pieces comparable to it, you will see it sell usually for less.

Great question,

I suppose if I were buying gold specimens I would first buy from the prospector who has found them in the field , second would be from a reputable dealer who has been in the business for many years. But I do agree with John regarding the look, and quality of the specimen would come first, if I liked it and its character...regardless of where it came from I would buy it. I have heard that California nuggets are bringing in higher dollar because of the dredging moratorium. Also Californian happens to be one of the best sources of crystalline specimen gold anywhere in the world. Australian gold is high grade karat, but if you notice the price from California gold it usually runs lower, take for example the "Butte Nugget" and look at some Australian pieces comparable to it, you will see it sell usually for less.

I think the reason that large or usual specimen California gold nuggets sells for more than Australian gold nuggets is that there seem to be more large Australian gold nuggets found more often than large California nuggets, so the demand for large California nuggets are at a premium, most of the large California nuggets are long gone, the 49ers didn't missed too much and what they did missed the Chinese miners came in behind them and cleaned up most of what was left!!

Supposedly there're tests that can be done to determine the makeup of gold and compared that to the makeup of gold from known locations, sorta a chemical gold finger print.

Thought I read somewhere years back that the large Australian gold mines use spectroscopy to identify their gold.Something along the lines that all gold has a unique identity from it's source.This is to prevent highgrading,even if that's only a remote possibility in open pit mines or at their processing facilities.

That's exactly how it was proven the old Dutchmen was a highgrader thief. His gold was compared to the mine samples he was fired from , in modern times, and what ya know EXACTLY the same composition. More accurate than any fingerprint or cornea scan even. Science jus' gotta love it. BUY AMERICAN. John

Hoser John--

Do you believe the gold came form the Vulture Mine or do you believe the specimen came from the Superstitions or elsewhere? I read mostly about the Vulture.

OP--My apologies for hijacking the thread

I like the 'direction' of the ID of gold. When I find a ring at the beach I go to a gold seller/buyer who has an analyzer and while I don't get a full report on a piece of jewelry I am told the Karat. The trouble with those machines is that they cost $10,000 and up.

Thanks Hoser for also giving the real reason for value of small gold. It has to be pretty and unusual.

I like the 'direction' of the ID of gold. When I find a ring at the beach I go to a gold seller/buyer who has an analyzer and while I don't get a full report on a piece of jewelry I am told the Karat. The trouble with those machines is that they cost $10,000 and up.

Thanks Hoser for also giving the real reason for value of small gold. It has to be pretty and unusual.

Once gold has been melted and or smelted the origins/where it was found/mined of the gold is no longer possible, only karat/purity can be determined after it been through that purification and alloying process, because the original chemical makeup of the natural raw gold has been changed.

You guys are correct in that gold can be I.D.ed to have come from a particular source.
Dr. Erik Melchiorre has been traveling around the world testing nugget from many gold locations.
law enforcement also uses this technic to I.D. stolen gold even after melting and led to the recovery of a couple stolen bars and large nugget in Nv.

There are also other key elements in them. this is one of the ways I can I.D.fake/man made nuggets with the right equipment.
I cant say to much more on this as I'm still under a N.D. from the last Lab I worked at. I learned a lot working there.

Remember I mentioned mercury and arsenic "on" nuggets on the(Do ya'll know this guy) thread? its also "in" nuggets from some areas.
eg:Potato patch, Rich Hill. Az. many other places.
If you take a look at Dr. Erik Melchiorre's book. it will answer many of your questions.

its called Gold Atlas of Rich Hill.

Bill may have it in his store.

The RFA also the hand held XRF dont work near as well as the lab grade units.
Oh BTW I think I know the answer to the mystery nugget question he found there at R.H. :)
AzNuggetBob