Nugget Shooter Forums

Dredging gold off shore in Oregon.

Relichunter2

I was wondering if anyone has ever in the past or if any mining company has considered dredging gold off the coast of Oregon. The gold which lays on the bottom is in the depths of 100 feet which would prohibit small dredges , just wondering if there is any other alternative of recovering this gold or if there are any laws that prohibit such activities in Oregon?

SOunds like a mission for an undersea submersible.

I can't imagine it would work out, logistically, by using divers proficient at that depth. The costs involved would make it imperative that Au recovery rates be

cartfamb.JPGgrade

I think you'll need a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong suction hose

Edited by weaver hillbille

A suction dredge with that kind of ability could suck start a Harley!!! Someone in my past possessed that kind of technology!!! :evil1::4chsmu1: ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Hey Ive got a dry vac that can suck a golf ball thru a garden hose. :arrowheadsmiley::4chsmu1: AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

The EPA had a massive positive displacement dredge,with 3 other engine /pump combos in line, to dredge out Keswick reservior here in Redding. 36" dredge on a massive floating barge with dual 50' towers piston driven. They pumped over 1 1/2 miles and over a 300'+ dam to contain the Iron Mountain sludge mess. It can be done but feds massive cash----oops our money I mean-John

Early core samples done by *-*-*- company oil in the 60's showed an abundant amount of gold and platinum..things were kept hush hush by the crew. *-*-*- oil company was looking for oil and struck gold, but obviously they are not in that business and did not want to draw attention. The depth is way below recreational mining capabilities..so I was wondering if any commercial interest has developed in recent years. Perhaps in the near future we will see submersible type mining off our coast.

Apparently no one deep sea mines anything. Also, the world has been on the verge of deep sea mining breakthroughs for the last 15 years. I can find research and conventions, but whatever is down there right now can not compete with what is on land. The manganese and cobalt nodules, although they're supposed to be abundant at deep depths, still aren't supposed to have the recoverable metallic content of deposits on land. There's plenty of countries out there that would allow it or not enforce it if someone would invest in deep sea mining. The only thing that comes from depth except for some shallower dredging is petroleum products.

At least that's what 30 minutes of research showed me.

I also look at reserves as a resource protection area that we can tap into some day when we really need to, even if its our kids or our kids kids. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

One thing that is key to undersea mining is the water contains and concentrates the elements
in the form of precipitation unlike dry land deposits that go up in smoke.. AzNuggetBob

Maybe you could tie some rope on a small metal pail (weighted down of course) and drag it on the bottom...might get lucky..After you pull the 1st bucket up, you'll probably need another can of spinach..haha!

Rimshot,

Actually the guy who told me about this is using a method that seems to be working for him, remember core samples in the 60's ? He was there and is back mining the ocean floor in his own special way.....and getting good results. I thought the story was interesting, never know who you will meet and stories you will hear. I am purely a nuggethunter..detector in hand :head: , and I am :4chsmu1: Happy....

I was wondering if anyone has ever in the past or if any mining company has considered dredging gold off the coast of Oregon. The gold which lays on the bottom is in the depths of 100 feet which would prohibit small dredges , just wondering if there is any other alternative of recovering this gold or if there are any laws that prohibit such activities in Oregon?

Relichunter2

Just use a underwater jet tube dredge. AzNuggetBob