Nugget Shooter Forums

Went to the VA DR. today Good news Bad news

Yep, Corned Beef was a Good one. Put the Pouch in some boing water for about 5 minutes and it was done.

Add it to some Fried Tators and maybe some bacon If you had it.and it was the bomb.

Made good SOS too!

Edited by homefire

Aloha, Hell, I remember also using little balls of c4 to heat my spam. Only Hawaiians in nam ate that stuff. Man, with rice and eggs it was the bomb. IMUA!

LOL did you know on way Prescibe to loose Dinomite is to Burn it in a camp fire? It makes a Cool, Wooshing Oragne flame and is gone. LOL! The stuff you see on TV is not the way life is.

I ate one of those MRE's once and it was very tasty until I salted it down with one of those little

packages in there that say 'don't put on food'. Seems like one should read things before you eat them. I was spittin and pickin things out of my teeth for quite a while after that. I don't remember if K-rations had salt or not. I know that they had cigarettes and matches.

Old Tom

I thought that there were some pretty good C-Rats. Just by coincidence I served with Steve Herschbachs dad in Charlie AIRBORNE Fort Richardson AK. As a matter of fact "Little Steve" would come out to watch us jump. The best meal was Franks and Beans, eaten cold with a bayonet. (NO spoon). Considering the toll the cold would take on you filling your stomach was necessary to survival on maneuvers. I would trade for Franks and Beans. For some strange reason my sleeping bag was always toasty warm.

Ha ha, Gary!

You mentioned eating those canned rats (rations) from 1943, reminded me of a time I was going through the chow line,

at the airbase at Naha, Okinawa, and was waiting for the eggs to be fried by the cranky mess cook...(hey man, don't be bitchin' about how the eggs are, this ain't McDonalds, you get 'em the way I cook 'em...)

I got my eggs, and ate them, they just didn't taste like I thought they should.

Later, after leaving the chow hall and getting back to work, some of the guys looked a little green, after comparing notes, we decided what we had breakfast was what hadn't set well with our stomachs... One guy who didn't complain about feeling bad, heard us talking about breakfast, and how bad it had been.

He says, "did you see the packing date on those eggs?" he continued "I wasn't about to eat any of those eggs, the packing date on that box of eggs said 1944, and I wasn't about to eat any..." Yep, I couldn't believe it, they had been in refrigeration all those years, and the year was 1964. 20 year old eggs...

Gary/Largo

Best yet was hard fried eggs that looked like eyeballs packed in a mermite can :ROFL::old:

I remember the fried eggs aboard ship. After a month or so at sea the eggs would freeze in the shell and when cracked open on the grill the yolks would roll around in the melted whites with the movement of the ship. Looked liked a dozen eyeballs following your movements. After them came powdered eggs and I guess they were better than nothing.

Old Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I got to enjoy what were called LRRP rations. Pretty much a completed dehydrated meal in a bag. You could put water in it, put it in your pants cargo pocket and have a warm meal whenever you wanted. They were OK, but our Vietnamese counterparts had the same kind of meals but geared toward their tastes. Those were outstanding and we would always trade, they liked ours,better than theirs.

GOSH... Old memories for sure :old: ... Great posts of earlier times :D ... Hey paratrooper you served with Steve's dad.

I have never met him but know that he was a Bush pilot.... and having been at a fee gold camp on the south slope

of the Brooks range over the 4th of July in 1992.... I have been in awe of all of the Bush pilots, especially those flying

modified Piper Cubs :ROFL: ... :thumbsupanim jim