Nugget Shooter Forums

Do I have to spend $6000 to find a dang nugget?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might as well add my two cents. Unlike most, On my third trip out I found gold and I have been finding gold ever since.  My secret?  I had one hell of a teacher.  It made all the difference in the

So far I'm at around $3500.00+/- for the sub grammers I've found. That's probably a little short actually since I haven't added up airfare on paper (don't want to!). I'm spoiled though and I know it.

So yeah....   Two and a half years later, it doesn't cost $6000 to find a dang nugget.  But when you add it all up, it can and will cost in excess of 6k for most people who are serious about finding g

Posted Images

Hello. I'm a Newbie to the forum, but can totally relate to Luke. I think Luke might have a better chance however, as I made the mistake of starting out with a X-Terra 705 (VLF detector) with 18.75Hz coil. The issue is that the high mineralization is extremely hard to tune out. The Cow Creek area had me pulling out my hair due to this. Now I am a GPAA member so hopefully I get on richer ground. Still, I can't help but think that I am doubling the time it will take to find a nugget, compared with those that have PI detectors.

• Like 2

Andyy your thought
,... Still, I can't help but think that I am doubling the time it will take to find a nugget, compared with those that have PI detectors.

Is right and wrong at the same time.

A P.I. will go deeper than a vlf in most cases.
A P.I. will cost you many times more than the VLF no matter if we are talking new or used. ( Big factor to most concerned.)
What matters MOST is getting your coil over a detectable piece of gold. And to do that you must get out there and spend the time swinging.
I detected well over 100 nuggets literally with my VLF when I came to Arizona then I went into the purchase of a P.I. and if I were to do it again I would do it the same way by starting out with a VLF.
If your going after gold nuggets use a "gold specific" detector not a combination VLF.
Good Luck an Hapy Huntn

• Like 3

PI's don't find "more" gold per say. The 2 different types of detectors have 2 different means of finding it. Both have their place in the gold fields. The 705 gold package is a great machine. Just practice practice. Before the PI's came out the VLF's were the king of the hill. And in some instances they still are.

• Like 2

Yo, All ... Anybody wanting to get into nuggetshooting on a real tight budget might consider one of the old White's Goldmaster series, from the GM2, VSAT, GM3 through the GMT. They all will find the gold and, with practice, are very user friendly ... Best of all you can find them in a price range as low as $150 to $500 used ... And, unlike some detector manufacturers, even the older one's will be serviced by Whites for a reasonable price... I've used them all and found good gold with them all ... Just my opinion ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

Andyy,.... I know nothing about your specific detector. If it is a VLF and you are having trouble with the highly mineralized ground, I would suggest to turn down the gain/sensitivity and see if it will smooth out a bit for you. Possibly getting the smallest coil available for your detector will help. Of course you will lose some depth. It seems there is always a trade-off. That is a tough area to search for sure.

• Like 1

I've worked on Threshold, Ground Balance and turning down Sensitivity but in that high mineralized area, my VLF detector is extremely unstable, to the point where I can toss a .5g nugget on the ground and barely hear it with all the noise in my slow swing. That is with turning sensitivity way down to quiet it. But I have been reading other people on here who seem to have a lot of luck with my detector (X-Terra 705- 5x10"DD), so maybe I just need to keep at it and get the detector over more gold (instead of bird shot). Persistence... persistence ... persistence ... right? ;)

• Like 1

Where's this cow creek???? Seems like a see cows in the creeks all the time. Is it slang name like jackass flat, or steves corner,or the water bottle bandit? Are they offering cattle drives for city slickers?

• Like 1

:)

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

I've worked on Threshold, Ground Balance and turning down Sensitivity but in that high mineralized area, my VLF detector is extremely unstable, to the point where I can toss a .5g nugget on the ground and barely hear it with all the noise in my slow swing. That is with turning sensitivity way down to quiet it. But I have been reading other people on here who seem to have a lot of luck with my detector (X-Terra 705- 5x10"DD), so maybe I just need to keep at it and get the detector over more gold (instead of bird shot). Persistence... persistence ... persistence ... right? ;)

Andy

Im thinking you may have another problem. these are common mistakes people make.

Is your coil plug connection Tight? is your coil wire loose or rapped fairly tight around the shaft?

can you hold your detector waist high and shake it without it acting up?

You may even have a bad coil. do you have another coil to test it?

If not go to a dealer and ask to borrow one to test it.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

Good advice Bob, its also possible youre in an area that's just too hot to use a vlf. That doesnt mean to give up, there are plenty of areas that a vlf will run perfectly. Definately some areas really close to cow creek that ive used a vlf without too much trouble.

• Like 2

Read the manual again and again. In the prospecting mode with the tracking on, it should be running smooth.

You may need to reset the programs back to factory settings. See pages 46 and 47 in the manual.

• Like 2

Not to get off topic, but Cow Creek is north of lake pleasant. There was a large operation there at one time, though I'm not sure how much gold was produced. A ton of bullets there. Ground is trashy and a lot of hot rocks. But I spoke with two people on the way out with a PI detector, and one of them found a nugget on a previous trip there. So gold *is* there.

AzNuggetBob - there were two of us with X-Terra 705's (DD coil) and we were both frustrated. That still doesn't mean we weren't doing something wrong. We have a lot of experience with using the coin mode but it is possible that we are still doing something wrong in prospecting mode. I will try your ideas.

SnakeJim - yes, I'm in prospecting mode (in all metal) and tracking on.

Sounds like more than a few using VLF and some X-Terras. Good to hear.

I have to say, the people on this forum are the best of any gold and metal detecting forums I've visited. Many thanks, all!

Andyy ... If you have been using your coil for awhile pull the protecting cover off the bottom and clean inside of the cover and the bottom of the coil. If you get a small amount of black sand between the cover and coil bottom you will get erratic action from that detector ... or any detector for that matter.

• Like 1

Do I have to spend $6000 to find a dang nugget?

Lukej

you may want to take a look at the nugget only thread, its pinned at the top of the page. No you dont have to spend $6000.00 to find a nugget. I use several brands and types of detectors. some are VLF's and only cost around $700.00 AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

AzNuggetBob, Thanks for the reply. I've seen some of those pics. Looking forward to using my Goldmaster to dig one of those babies up. Could be this weekend? Fingers crossed !!

mn90403, I've seen several deals like those you describe. I'm just a ways off from having that kind of coin to throw out on a detector. I will have one someday. I gotta find some nuggets first. Then I may be able to convince my wife.

I took a nice drive up to Congress this afternoon and met a nice gentleman by the name of Dave Lester. He gave me a good deal on a Sierra Gold Max coil. It's a little heavy but I can't wait to try it out!

• 1 year later...

hey luke, just happened upon this thread tonight and had to laugh...   I remember reading this last year (before I found my first nug with a detector)... well a year later and Iv found quite a few after that first one.. (two years it took me!).  and again a year later... you come down to greaterville for your first visit and scoop up five from our home turf down here!  I love it, and like everyone said perseverance and persistence...   Honestly id been over those same spots with two different detectors and i didnt find zilch!  Just wanted to acknowledge the accomplishment and thank you for posting your experiences.   Hope you make it down again and show us where the gold is!

• Like 3

Thank you Microsniper.   :D

Congrats on your first and subsequent nuggets !!

I'm looking forward to going down there again to hunt this spring.    :head:

It would be great to meet you too....   :thumbsupanim

Here's a pic of the 'black nugget' from my Greaterville post.  I wasn't going to 'clean' it, but I did want to see if I could get some more gold to show by removing some dirt.  I put it in muriatic acid for a couple minutes and some dirt fell off.  I decided to put it in a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid and was pleasantly surprised when a bunch more dirt bubbled off.  So I alternated between acid and base a few times and then put it in deionized water and still more of the 'dirt' was dissolved.  I didn't scrub it at any time in the process.  I'm going to leave it like this.... 

Luke

20161116_101822 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Hello Luke,  You're getting some pretty good advice here from the above members.  They have mentioned some "Good" points.  It took me 3-years of detecting and finding all-sorts of metal trash to "Finally-find" my first nugget, and I, like you read everything I could find to try to figure out how to get that "illusive-first-nugget".  I finally figured out that you have to consistently have "Boots-on-the-ground" and cover ground; always hit the exposed bedrock patches to look for that "one-sitting-duck-nugget"  that one tell tale nugget that tells me that there are more there.  You have to move slow, and swing that coil "low".  Also, as has been mentioned, If you are finding metal trash like that, most likely no one has been very thorough at detecting there, as most of us with many years experience at detecting for gold will ever leave that trash.  I especially don't leave it if I do find a nugget there, a I want to return and find more gold and don't want to re dig up that same trash.  And if you are finding lead on bedrock, "if" there is gold there, it will be there in the bedrock cracks along with the lead.  And as for maybe "going the extra mile" by removing overburden to get to bedrock, that to me is just like having a "guaranteed-nugget(or more than one) placed right within your reach.  

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm here, but for that first 3-year period of my detecting, I also had and used a White's GMT detector, but never found a nugget with it.  I later found that it was a great detector for treasure hunting and coins, but (for me at least), wasn't good for nugget hunting.  The VLF aspect of it just can't handle Arizona's high mineral areas, which is where most of the gold is.  I am sure that there are many others out there that swear by their vlf's ( and more power to them)but It wasn't until I bought my Minelab GP-3000 that I finally was able to find my first nugget, and I have been finding them ever since.  At any rate, "Keep-on-keeping-on" and you will finally get that illusive nugget.  Gary     

• Like 1

Might as well add my two cents.

Unlike most, On my third trip out I found gold and I have been finding gold ever since.  My secret?  I had one hell of a teacher.  It made all the difference in the world.  Before I ever laid a coil on the ground, for two days, Hoss Blackman took me to all of the places where he had found gold, and patches.  He explained why he thought the gold was there and how he thought it got there.  All of these were worked out areas that he had beat to death.  No active patches.

I started to see patterns in the way gold got tucked behind rocks in a small gully, or caught behind a bush lining a gully, or sitting on a bench right before it got to the gully.  At the time it was driving me crazy.  He was showing me where he had found gold, but he wasn't letting me swing a coil.  I had no idea of how valuable those lessons were.  I was thinking, what the hell use it this?  The gold is already gone.  Are you just rubbing it in my face.  "THIS IS WHERE I FOUND GOLD, AND IT'S ALL GONE NOW, so NEENER NEENER NEENER!"  I didn't realize that he was using the wax on wax off Mr. Miyagi method of teaching.

When all is said and done, all we are doing is processing dirt.  The more dirt you process, the greater the chances that you will find gold.  The more dirt you process from spots that match the characteristics of ground where gold has been found before, the more efficient you become at processing, not just dirt, but dirt with high potential.

Look at big placer operations like you see on Gold Rush.  What are they doing?  They are processing dirt, and a heck of a lot of it.  But do they process ALL THE DIRT?  Nope, they wait until they get close to bedrock, down to those gravel pay layers.  Well as detectorists, we are doing the same thing but on a much much much smaller scale.  Accordingly, we have to be very good at spotting areas that are more likely to have gold, than just swinging our coils any place.  There are only so many hours in a day, and our goal is to process the most promising ground carefully while moving more quickly over ground that does not appear to have much potential.

We have all heard go low and slow.  Well I agree to a certain extent.  Stay low, but alter your speed.  You want to move along at a reasonable pace when you are trying to find that first nugget.  Once you find it, then, slow way down.  You will want to even backtrack over the nearby ground that you moved a little faster over.

So, it sounds like you have been finding all kinds of trash.  That's good.  It tells me you know how to use your detector correctly, and adjust it.  However, it sounds like you just may not have the hang of exactly where to look for gold.

This is my suggestion. Ask some of the old timers if they would show you old places where they have found gold.  Make it clear that you are talking about places that they have completely worked out, and that have no potential left to find anything.  You're not asking to be shown active patches.  You just want to see what gold bearing ground looks like.  If you find someone kind enough to accommodate you.  When you get there, start asking questions.  "What prompted you to look here?"  "When you found the first nugget what was unusual or usual about where you found it?" "Did you theorize where the source may have been?"  "What were clues that the source may have been there?"  "What similarities does this location have in common with other places where you have found gold?"  Look around!  What do you see?  Red dirt?  Quartz?  Contact zones?  Any indication of old timer activity?  Benches?  Size of the quartz?  Color of the quartz? etc. etc.

As soon as I started to learn the commonalities among gold bearing areas, I started looking for areas that matched those characteristics.  I looked for those areas in places where people have never bothered to even swing a coil.  Guess what happened?  I started finding flat out virgin patches.  Not a speck of trash, just nuggets.  Do you know what it is like to swing your coil and every time you get a target you know it's gold before you dig it?  You just don't know how big the nugget is or how deep until you dig it.  Do you know what it feels like to make one swing of your coil and have three targets in one swing, and all of them turn out to be nuggets?  Do you know the feeling when your heart feels like it is going to jump out of your chest, and you actually have to sit down for a minute, have a drink of water, and have a little talk with yourself? 

"OK, settle down, it's obviously a virgin patch of gold.  Relax.  Take some deep breaths.  I know you're excited but this is going to be fun.  Just take your time, enjoy the experience, this patch isn't going to run away.  You are off the beaten path so no one is going to happen on you.  Do this methodically.  Take a note of the depths, and the size of the nuggets.  Look at where they are positioned in relation to the other nuggets.  See if you can discern a pattern and where the source might be.  You OK now?  Great, now let's have some fun."

Knowledge is the key, to the luck it takes, to find gold.  I always teach my students, if you don't spend at least 20 minutes talking to every nugget you find, you are throwing away valuable knowledge.   "Where did you come from?  Why did you decide to stop here?  You sure are rounded did you travel a long way?  If I were you, where would I have come from?  You got any big brothers or sisters around here?  Why do like this ground?  Is it the color of the dirt?  How come you didn't get deeper in the ground?  How come you were so deep in the ground?  Why were you so shallow?

There's an old saying, "If you want good answers, ask good questions!"  It will all start to click if you start actually seeing ground where gold has been found.

I'm a scuba diver.  One of my favorite ocean delicacies are rock scallops.  Imagine the sweetest lobster in the world.  That's what rock scallops taste like.  They are not the scallops you get in the store.  When I first wanted to find rock scallops I would dive in the ocean and everyone would come back with scallops but me.  I mean they told me that they looked like clams but they embed themselves in the coral, and they are pretty well camouflaged so you have to look close.  After my second dive of coming up empty handed, the captain says,  "Where's your scallops?"  I said, "I didn't see any.  I've never done this before."  He said, "Dude they are all over the place right under the boat 20 feet down.  Come on let's go back in real quick I'll show you."  We get to the bottom, right in front of me on this great big rock outcrop covered with coral he points a scallop out.  Pops it off the rock, and motioned for me to put it in my bag.  Then he grabs me and pulls me back away from the rock outcrop and motions for me to look at the rock wall.  My good god there were hundreds of them.  I had been looking right at them and not seeing them.  It took someone with knowledge to show me what to look for.  In the next 10 minutes I had my limit of 20.

So find someone to show you what to look for.  I'm going to bet it will make all the difference in the world.  Oh yeah, the first nugget I found, third time out was a 1/4 ounce.  I found it with a Minelab XT18000 VLF machine with an 11 DD coil.  It was in an area that looked similar to all the other areas that Hoss had shown me where he had found gold.

• Like 8

Wow, Doc, That all sounds like some great advice. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to write that up. It's certainly worth more

than any two cents. More like two hefty nuggets at least. 

Thanks as well to all of the other members that contributed on this thread. I'm sure that everything I've been learning from you all

here on Nugget Shooter is going to help me find my first nugget or nugget patch one of these days.

• Like 1

Just a meta-thought: Yep, I've experienced the rarified exhilaration of stumbling upon a virgin patch where every single signal is a gold nugget and nary a speck of trash is heard.  What an incredible rush!  Kinda like when I realized I was on the verge of qualifying for the '84 U.S. Olympic Pistol Team.  But I made a mistake way back all those years ago.  A mistake that you would think I would never, EVER make again. I got lost in the moment and lost my focus.  Well, wrongamundo!!  I repeated that exact same type of mistake decades later in the midst of the largest virgin patch I ever discovered.  So I pass on this teeny, weeny little tidbit of advice: If you think you are alone -- especially in the wide open expanses of the desert -- and then if you ever are lucky enough to to find yourself in what appears to be the middle of a gloriously unsullied VIRGIN patch DO NOT LINGER THERE.  Mark the spot in a discrete way.  Have the guts to leave it until you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that no one has been watching you.  Getting lost in the moment, lingering at a patch, runs the risk of tipping off some !@#$ unprincipled lookie loo who will sneak in like a thief in the night and clean you out.  Park your vehicle a LONG WAY from your discovery.  Or consider coming back at night.  Just about the biggest downer imaginable is first experiencing the ecstatic thrill of a virgin find and then having someone else rape it as soon as you turn your back!!!  Yeah, I can still feel the pain...

• Like 3