Nugget Shooter Forums
~LARGO~

Vikings Sunstone Show on The Travel Channel Feb. 12, this Thursday

Hi all,

A while back, I made a post about Calcite, the stone known by the ancient Vikings, to be an aid in plotting their ship's courses across the open seas.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22763&hl=calcite

There will be a new show on the travel channel on this Thursday about this unique stone.

How the Vikings figured the way this stone would become such a valuable way to chart courses is beyond me!

So if any of you are interested in taking your rowboat on a jaunt across the sea, here will be an opportunity to begin to learn just how to do it!

I thought some of you would like to revisit this intriguing subject, so here is your opportunity!

Gary/Largo

• Like 2

Hi all,

If you missed watching the show about the Vikings and the stone they utilized to find their way across vast oceans, you missed a great learning opportunity.

BUT if the idea intrigues you a bit, I would guess you can still see reruns of the show on the Travel Channel. Amazing how they made the unique qualities of this stone work for them!

Gary/Largy

I fell asleep before it aired, but I did have the forethought after seeing your topic here to set the DVR to record it, I will be watching it this weekend, thanks for letting us know about it in advance, I'm have always been intrigued with this kind of stuff!!

• Like 1

Hi all,

In case you may have missed this show, it will air again, on the Travel Channel, on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015, at 8/9 central time, AND followed by a show on GOLD to follow.

I did see the show, it was much more in depth on the finding of clear calcite, and all the other

steps it took to determine the location of the sun on a dark or stormy day, which is a necessity when

making directional calculations at sea, or anywhere explorers using such methods may have been.

The Vikings just didn't decide to go for an afternoon rowboat ride one day, their lives were focused for hundreds of years, developing the ability to build huge ocean going ships, which you can see on this show. But now I am giving away more than I should.

If you have any sense of interest in history, this insight into the Vikings seafaring culture is very worthwhile. I may watch it again, myself.

Have a good day!

Gary/Largo

Edited by ~LARGO~

Hi weaver hillbille:

Thanks for the welcome contribution!

For a while I thought I was preaching

fascinating stuff to a very small congregation!

All this is pretty much WAY over my head, but looking at the times this technology

was developed, there were some pretty smart cookies!

Gary/Largo