Nugget Shooter Forums

First of all, if it came out of a "very old tomb", why in the world would you try to crush it??

If you can't crush it or flatten it with a sledge hammer, it's not from this world....

When you say you tried cutting it with a marble cutter, are you saying you tried a diamond edged blade?

I ask this because marble it not all that hard compared to some other types of rock/stone, marble is only around 3 in the Mohs hardness scale, it can be easily scratched by mild steel, a carbide tip saw blade if kept from overheating can cut marble if necessary, and most abrasive blades also will cut marble, so what did you use?

More info on exactly what was used to test the hardness of this ball is needed to help try and give you a possible guess of what the ball is.

yes brother i try many method but noo benfits ,, also i try steel cuter , becuse steel tools not do any things,,, i think the hardness is equal to diamond

or it is Boron Carbide

so im confuse becuse this is the first time i see like this matirals ,,, and like this shape

so im asking here if any body did see like this before or what thats contain

so i need your help to identify

I don't know of anything other than metal that would be that hard so it cannot be crushed and or even scratched, you best bet is to take it to a qualified mineral and or metal testing lab to have it expertly tested. they would have the proper equipment to be able to test it for known earthly materials, if they can't tell you what it is, it could very well be from out of this world!!!

You have just posted this here today, give it several days for other members to give their opinions as well.

Also if you do eventually have it tested by a lab please post the results here for us to see, we love to read about new and usual items such as this!!!

Rock hard scale goes like this ...Diamond , granite then marbles then limestone . Any stone that can be highly polished with vains is marble .

Very interesting rock you have .

Edited by H-2 Charlie

AM2015 why are you trying to cut the ball? You may have something that is very valuable and could make you a

lot of money. I would take it to a university that has a big Geology department. They have the equipment to test

it and give you an answer to what it is.

Also go to a library do some research on the country that the ball came from. Do you know the country where it

came from? Any idea how old the tomb was? Any grave markers on it? How long have you had it in your

possession?

Like Skip says please keep us posted what you find out.

My guess is they used those balls to move heavy objects into the tomb. But what it's made of, haven't a clue. Interesting find.

the country im living on it, not allowed to sell or buy archeological pices so thats why im looking to your form

can i ask this type of pices allow to trade it in yours country

You can sell something like that here if found on private property and if is was found on public property it depends on what kind of public property, also if found on public property as long as it wasn't considered to be over 100 years old, e.g. an ancient/old artifact you could sell it.

But from what you're saying, that it was found in a old tomb, here in out country unless the tomb is on private property that would make it an ancient artifact and it couldn't be removed, collected, buy or sell.

For items such as this from other countries, our government honors the laws of other countries concerning artifacts, so if it is against the law to buy or sell such items in the country of origin, it would be against our laws to bring it here and sell it.

What size is it? I have one I found in the Great Basin, perfectly round and made from hard limestone. Others have found similar stone balls and they are generally called game balls, although no one really knows what they were used for. Central America has hundreds of large perfectly round stone balls, some the size of a VW! They are also a mystery. I suspect the ball you have does not have a hardness greater than 7, around the hardness of flint or iron and should be able to be scratched with a diamond scribe. I would not take a hammer to it, what would be the point? It is an artifact.

I just saw boxes of these at the Tucson gem show, $1-2 each, they called them "cave balls"...

El D i did a seach on cave balls and found nothing. Did they look like limestone?

They were dusty white looking, the bigger ones were about the size of an ols Shooter marble and the smaller ones were the size of regular marbles. I did not pick any up. I googled them to and came up with nothing. Might not be the same thing but sure looked lie it.

Thank's El D!

I think i know what it is now. A piece of bubble gum. The round ball kind. With the hard candy melted away. Gum can get pretty darn hard when aired out.

Take a Q tip with acid and see if it does fizz , if so its marble if it dont it could be granite . Does it go off on a metal detector ? Maybe if its that hard its some Iron calcium of some sort

• 3 weeks later...