Nugget Shooter Forums
Relichunter2

Please Fill in your holes ...

Just a reminder to those who are getting into metal detecting and to those who still don't take the time to fill in the holes. I went out to a spot I go to when I need to change my scene or when I am just not getting gold in the spot I am in. The spot is an open area, and one has to go down a dirt driveway into a parking area. I drove down the road and parked. First thing I noticed was 5-6 huge holes in the darn small parking area :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: .. after a few words, to the UNKNOWN _SS , I proceeded to fill in the holes. Their are many reasons to fill in your holes, in which I am not going to get into, please take the time to dump the dirt , rocks, leaves back where you dug it. If WE all don't follow the rules, you will see more areas closed to metal detecting. Also if you dig iron targets, take the trash with you. Don't Be A Mole, Fill In Your Holes.

• Like 2

I agree Relic. Metaldetecting is one of the least regulated forms of prospecting we have. It is a little more regulated on the artifact side of it per state but the point is, if we don't do it then it will just bite us in the end. Please let's fill our holes, plus it gets rid of any evidence of a nice nugg patch if you do it good enough. :)

• Like 2

Yes, I am sure it may come back to haunt us at some point in some way, hopefully that lazy ass that doesn't backfill his holes.

Just because you are tired from digging a hole that held no gold, or even if it did, doesn't mean you should walk away from it.

You never know who or what might walk or drive into it one at some point. Hopefully it will be you, if that is your habit...

Arriving at what I felt was a good place to park my trailer, after driving a long way to get there, I backed into what looked like good place for a camp. What I didn't see, block by some weeds was a nice dig hole. My bad for not looking closer, I know. When in my rear view mirror I could see the wheel of my trailer wheel drop suddenly, I knew it was an oh shite moment...The trailer was up to the axle on the drivers side. Fortunately, I was able to pull the trailer out and do what somebody else should have done, fill in the hole...

Bad habits are hard to break, for the most part we are whistling in the wind- it won't make any difference to the offenders, but it might give the new folks something to think about, if they have any decency...

Gary

• Like 1

Nugget108, and Largo,

Yes that's my hole point....those who have the bad habit of not refilling their holes will continue to be A--s, my hole bitch fest was to educate the new and hopefully new respectful detectorists who are getting into this awesome hobby/profession. Largo, sorry to hear about your ordeal, sounds like you had some choice words thrown to the wind as I did. It's just people like that ruin it for the rest. If anything this was just a reminder , to just think about it and hopefully you do the right thing. FILL IN YOUR HOLES.

• Like 1

Will always be trash out there who won't fill their holes in, sorry to say. Will get on their case, some listen. Hell, I even backfill in a wash! They will screw it up for everyone.

All we need is a rancher or two to bitch to the management folks, BLM or FS or ?, that they lost a cow or cows because some lazy SOB miner didn't fill a hole and the cow or cows had to be put down on account of a broken leg. The power grabbing management folks only need one excuse to close an area to all of us. Fill in the holes guys and gals!

Mike F

• Like 1

Shep and Mike,

Thanks for responding...I have noticed lately their is more and more interest in detecting...it's hit " Main Stream " and people are buying detectors from all walks of life...so it's always good to just remind us all, including myself when I get lazy and just fill in without leveling it to the natural contour of the land...to do just that. I am willing to bet all the folks on this forum fill their holes..plus it;'s one dang workout! Mike great point, I have two ranches I have permission to hunt on , both have cattle leases. Shep, lol yeah..it becomes a " Habit " and digging and filling is the job.

Fred

I fill my holes even on the beach!

When on the beach many think 'Kids are out here digging, I don't need to fill my hole.' and that is very wrong.

When I dig at the beach with my scoop and I go down 10-15 inches that is a very steep hole. Someone can step in it and get hurt. It happens. At least one beach community in Southern California has made it illegal to detect on the beach.

The reason is that someone stepped in a hole. They determined that hole was from a metal detectorist. The city lost a lawsuit so now they don't allow detecting.

The same thing will happen one day to an area near you and they will stop giving permission to detect. They will require permits and insurance. Fines will be given to those who don't follow the rules.

This part of the future can be delayed if you fill your holes now.

• Like 2

I started seeing more open holes when the PI's moved in....

Pretty easy to cover a hole that's 5" deep but 10"-15" deep, more of a problem for some people.

I've spent more time filling in other peoples holes some days than detecting.

• Like 3

The wholes I notice not getting filled in are from people detecting off my claim or some of the claims my partner watches. These people are high-grading knowingly and if they do that, they won't take the time to fill in their wholes.

The law basically stops at the paved road so you're at the trust of your fellow man. If that man realizes there is little to no recourse for highgrading, then it's frustrating. Hundreds of acres is too much to keep a good watch on with game cameras to catch someone in the act.

It speaks to the character and ethics of the man or woman digging the hole. A strong sense of what is right will fill a hole. A great example of strong character and ethics can be shown in deer hunting ... the ethical hunter takes only what he needs, praises the life of what has been taken and does not waste what he has harvested. It only takes a couple swipes of my boot to fill even the deepest holes ... and I have dug my share of 0" plus holes!

Common guys ... Fill the d@mn holes!

Mike F