Nugget Shooter Forums

Best gold detector

Jonal

Hello guys,

New to the forum, but not metal detecting. However, I am new to nugget shooting.

So my question is:

What is the best gold detector for the money?

My price range is $500-900. I am looking at AT GOLD, Whites GMT and a few others. So what, from personal experience, do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Jonal

Jonal, my three nugget hunting partners and I have found nearly 20,000 nuggets in CA and AZ with our GMT's. Today, at the GPAA

Gold Show at Pomona CA, I had the honor to meet the representative from White's of the Middle East, headquartered in Dubai, UAE. They sell White's detectors to Africa. He reported that they are selling an average of 5,000 GMTs per month in the African goldfields. He reported that the GMT totally outsells and outclasses everything else in it's price range. Nuff' said?

Well that's kind of a loaded question. The reason I say that is because I think everyone here uses pretty much each brand. So the whites guys are going to be whites and the goldbug guys are going to be gold bug. Along with all other brands and users. I use a goldbug 2 and have done well with it. And guys with other brands do well also. If you have a detector dealer close then the best thing to do is go down and pick their brain and feel which ones you think fit best. But this forum is great for knowledge from some great folks so I'm sure you will get some ideas. Good luck.

• Like 1

Pick up a gold bug 2 or any gold master after the GM2 ... you'll be good to go as a beginner without excessive cost .... Later you can up grade to a Mine Lab... Cheers, Unc

Your skill level mandates what you should buy. I'd join a small local yokel club and learn from experienced folks so beg, borrow or rent before spending your hard earned cash. Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Gold Bug 2 or better for a beginner is the Pro model. No form of detecting is more expensive,dangerous, travel intensive, physically demanding and less than 10% even stick with it for all of the above reasons. Lotza luck. John

You can't go wrong with a Minelab. I've owned Garretts and fishers as well as a minelabe GPX4000 and I kept my Minelab x-terra 705. I use a 15" coiltek wop coil high frequency and I can reach down just over two feet for a 1 1/2 oz nugget. People up here in new Montana don't seem to like whites as they are not as user friendly as other brands. Those I know that had them sold them to buy Minelab eureka gold detectors. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Me personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a whites detector of any model. Minelab has the highest degree of technology for gold detectors hands down.