Nugget Shooter Forums

Mini Meteorite candidate find.

I know yall have seen a million of these so here is a million and one. Found this bad boy in lil ash creak, where some others have been found. Looks very fitting to me but im a noob so I figure i'd confront the experts on the matter. These are very tiny so my pictures suck. However they have a burnt crust rusting a bit as I know they can if they have been out for quite sometime. They have tiny little thumb like prints, and draw to my magnet easily. The down side is, they do not set off my metal detector. Im assuming either their size is a factor in that or my detector is garbage. Meteorites or not with how well they draw to a magnet my detector should pick it up. I mean it picks up hematite no problem. =\

So another problem is they are so small I do not think I could file a window in them to look. Any suggestions on how to proceed, or what I may be looking at here? They look similar to others from area and canyon diablo ones. Which is why im wondering if I struck some tiny gold here. If they are not what could they be?

post-27472-0-67993700-1422901161_thumb.j

post-27472-0-75454100-1422901164_thumb.j

post-27472-0-30911500-1422901167_thumb.j

Too small to see anything from the photos, but odds are they are not meteorites. Try taking a picture with a magnifying glass against your camera lens.

Why you say most likely? What specifically gives you pause? I have a DSLR coming in the mail this week so should be able to take some better ones. Anything else I can do other than waiting on my DSLR? Thanks again mike.

I say odds are they are not meteorites because that's what the honest odds are. :)

You don't need a fancy camera, I use my 10+ year old Sony camera and a hand lens and get decent close-ups, for example, here are some micro ant hill finds from Holbrook:

HolbrookAnts2014a.jpg

Edited by Mikestang

I say odds are they are not meteorites because that's what the honest odds are. :)

You don't need a fancy camera, I use my 10+ year old Sony camera and a hand lens and get decent close-ups, for example, here are some micro ant hill finds from Holbrook:

Oh I know but im an amatuer photographer so I was getting it already, might as well use it. I wish you could see tham right now cause I have always had meteowrongs and been very picky not calling anything a possibility. These have all the hallmarks though. If they where not so small id cut one in half.

Oh I know but im an amatuer photographer so I was getting it already, might as well use it. I wish you could see tham right now cause I have always had meteowrongs and been very picky not calling anything a possibility. These have all the hallmarks though. If they where not so small id cut one in half.

The upper right stone of picture two looks like it has nodules. If so, they cannot be meteorites.

billpeters

At the risk of sounding like a noob who pretends to know what hes talking about. Nodules does not preclude it from being of space origin. I have been shopping for a throw down as mike suggested in another thread and I see plenty with them.

Also Mike untill my DSLR come im gonna try your magnifying trick. Ill post up picks in about an hour. Thanks for your help yall.

All three of my metal detectors would hear a very tiny iron meteorite (note that tiny BBs are easily heard) and even if they were stone meteorites putting them all together in a clump to make it seem like a larger meteorite would be heard on any of my 3 detectors. At Gold Basin we could even hear the crumbs in the ground while trying to find all of the pieces if it had broken up a lot.

Twink Monrad

Still unclear...however, the top, right piece has a little nub that could be a bit of nickel/iron exposed from deflation. You can grind a piece with a fine stone and then use a magnifying glass to get a closer look.

Go find a something bigger! I know easier said than done...

fred

The nodule, or nub, of the top right stone would not be formed on a meteorite in flight. It would have ablated under the extreme pressure of deceleration. However, it is extremely common of terrestrial stones under normal weathering. Surfaces look wrong, uncharacteristic of meteorites, It does not appear to be any type of a fingernail thick crust. Lack of a hit with a metal detector is a further negative. The pictures are still not very clear to be certain, but there are no characteristics of a meteorite present.

Keep looking down, they're out there.

billpeters

Apologies for the delay I have some more photos. I used RAW and did not feel like converting so I can only share by my google plus link. If this is not good enough let me know and I can snap some more, or isolate some/areas.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106778528715804539698/albums/6112148336953249841

I broke one on accident and it looked almost grayish in middle with some fleks, not sure if iron or something else though. Then lost it on carpet......I know embarrassing.

EDIT: The raw format puts a weird red tinge to some parts it does not actually look like that color. Its mostly black/orange-ish or rust colored with dirt caked on. What stumps me is my metal detector picks up hematite with the quickness yet wont pick these up, they really are small pics do not do it justice. Really stumped here. Whatever it is its been there in the ground a long time. And looks nothing like the other rocks in that area.

Edited by Dimaggio1103