Nugget Shooter Forums

GPZ 7000

Well, I guess I got my wish. Here is a copy of my post from October 17, 2012 at http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,1795744

"I have a Minelab GPX 5000 and a Minelab CTX 3030. I am a firm believer at this point that the GPX 5000 has taken PI nugget detecting technology about as far as it can go, with only better ferrous discrimination the only thing to offer me. And I am not holding my breath for that. So where to go from here?

Pretty obvious I would say. Cram the GPX 5000 into the CTX 3030 package. I see no reason why it can't be done. The only limitation would likely be battery time per charge but if a CTX style battery could get me just a half day operation I am fine with changing batteries at lunch. A GPX 5000 is a single package with built-in speaker and GPS and waterproof to 10 feet would be killer. A new coil set mimicing the CTX set would be great as new waterproof coils would be a must. 8" mono, 11" (or 12") mono and 11" (or 12") DD and 18" mono would be all I would ever need. People are already using the GPX for beach and relic hunting and this would put it over the top. I would be using it for almost any detecting at all except where discrimination is a must, like turf hunting in a park.

Minelab GPX 5000 MSRP of $6995 (MAP $5795). You want to get another grand out of me Minelab? MSRP $7995? Give me a CTX 5000 or GPX 6000 or GPX 8030, whatever you want to call it and you got it."

Any Steve we know?

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpz-7000-metal-detector/

"The gold started to come in nice and steady with a haul of 30 grams for the session. The biggest nugget weighed in at 12 grams and was 17 inches deep." Jonathan Australia

"1.6 ounces of gold in less than three hours!... I managed to find some decent gold at depth, including a 2 1/2 ounce nugget at over 2 1/2 feet. My goal for the upcoming year is to spend as much time as possible using this detector in known gold locations." Steve USA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price for a new generation ML is always a problem,

and somehow when the detector works well people find a way to get one.

And really, after all is said and done, most of the new Minelab products have worked as advertised;

especially the last three gold detectors.

I love my 5000, I can't afford the new one no matter what the price,

but it is good incentive to start saving.

Can't wait to hear from JP and some others who have been testing it.

I hope the previous coils will work on it.

I also like that it looks to be slightly lighter.

I, as I suspect many other prospectors are, am very intrigued with these latest ML machines, but have not heard nor seen any results that would really make me dump a machine that takes years to master, only to take on another challenge ... My ol' Baboo 2100 remains an awesome machine that finds gold just fine, even though my current machine is the 4500 which has produced maybe a half ounce (or less) from patches the 2100 cleaned really well ... True, I did find new patches with the newer unit that produced many ounces, but ol' Baboo would have found those nuggets, too, if I had used her rather than the newer one ... Bottom line, the gold comes from learning what to look for and becoming ever more observant and aware of surroundings and geology...Not to mention enhancing your personal sensitivity to the ground you're exploring ... These new machines, and the claims made for them, are intriguing, but I remain convinced it's the prospector swinging the machine over ground he senses could be better than the last, that produces gold.... Just my opinion! ... Cheers, Unc

Any Steve we know?

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpz-7000-metal-detector/

"The gold started to come in nice and steady with a haul of 30 grams for the session. The biggest nugget weighed in at 12 grams and was 17 inches deep." Jonathan Australia

"1.6 ounces of gold in less than three hours!... I managed to find some decent gold at depth, including a 2 1/2 ounce nugget at over 2 1/2 feet. My goal for the upcoming year is to spend as much time as possible using this detector in known gold locations." Steve USA

Mitchel,

I asked the same question on Steve Herschbach website/ forum but have not got a response ??? :idunno::idunno:

Maybe someone on this forum knows who the Steve person in the USA is testing the new GPZ7000 like Johnathan Porter, that had the quote below Johnathans.

Dave its currently a wait and see situation for everyone involved...... from my standpoint its a 'no comment' until I'm given the all clear to openly discuss the subject.

Thanks for understanding

JP

Ok, so I've been detecting for just a little over 3 yrs.

I'm inexperienced compared to most guys.

But, one thing I notice is that every time a new detector comes out it

just kills what all the other ones can do.????Does it???
I would like to see a side by side comparison with the new one and the last model on the same (just found) target.

Heck, give me a new detector and let me go up into some of the areas I've gotten gold out of....hit a few new washes that I've not hit with my "old detector" and chances are I would also pop some nuggets out with the new detector.

I'm going to stay with my "OLD" 5000 for quite a long time. :)

Depth? I think a bigger coil is a lot cheaper than a newer detector.

I've got a couple of friends that use the 2200 and GB2 and consistently get nuggets.

Just my thoughts.
Tom H.

Tom I have both the GPX5000 and SDC2300 as well as a GBPro ... The new model is enticing but I will sit back for awhile on it and continue to use my current arsenal.

Mike F

There are of course at least a couple ways of looking at these things. First, if what you have is working for you, then great!

Unlike you however I have been metal detecting for 40 years. Now, I found a ton of stuff with my first detector, a White's Coinmaster IV, but I sure am glad I did not just stick with it.

Despite what people may think the technology is getting better. But slowly. You can barely see it from model to model. GP 3000 to GP 3500, not much difference, right? Now sit a Minelab SD2000 next to a GPX 5000. World of difference, but it happened a little at a time. Every once in a rare while though the underlying technology takes a jump. It is not a tweak on the last thing, but something new.

I figure I spent around 500 hours metal detecting last summer. Not only did I invest a lot of time, but quite a bit of food and gas, etc. into the effort. For me at least I would not want to be investing all that time and money using anything other than what I thought worked best for me. For me, mind you, not anyone else.

For me, that has pretty much meant jumping on whatever Minelab offers next just as soon as I can lay hands on it. If it turns out to be better, great. If not, I can live with that. So far not once, ever, have I regretted making the upgrade. Say whatever you want about Minelab, they are the ones driving the technology. Everyone else is just playing catch up.

Anyway, those that want to stay pat with their current hand, more power to you. Me, I have been waiting overtime for this machine. I even had a false start fall of 2012 when I sold my GPX 5000 speculating it was about time for a new machine. Only to have to get a new GPX 5000 spring of 2013. Nope, all I can say is, forgive me my Australian friends - about bloody time!

Agree Steve, after having heard as much information as possible and if I can afford it

I tend to jump into the best newest ML technology as early as possible.

I have never regretted it.

I also believe that an attentive person over the coil

is the biggest enhancement any detector can get.

Dave its currently a wait and see situation for everyone involved...... from my standpoint its a 'no comment' until I'm given the all clear to openly discuss the subject.

Thanks for understanding

JP

JP,

Thanks for getting back to me on the subject. I can understand the aspects of anonymity of a product until the company gives the go ahead. I just was not sure if that included the person/ people that were testing the new product.

Wishing both of the gentlemen many nuggets,

Dave

Mitchel,

I asked the same question on Steve Herschbach website/ forum but have not got a response ??? :idunno::idunno:

Maybe someone on this forum knows who the Steve person in the USA is testing the new GPZ7000 like Johnathan Porter, that had the quote below Johnathans.

Dave,

I thought I knew both of them as soon as I saw the names. I was just asking a rhetorical question.

Now that they both have confirmed it ... we just have to wait and see what else they say.

Mitchel

Now, on to a different matter on this unit ... how do you know you won't just find more trash? What in this ID screen would show that you have a good target and not junk? Will this unit keep us from digging 3 ft down to a RR spike or nail?

My 3030 is good at telling depth in inches and telling me the type of metal that is giving me a signal. I can see it on a graph or just look at numbers (I like the graph). I use it 4-5 times a week.

What will this screen tell me about the targets?

Personally, I'm looking for a bugle call from JP, repeatedly, then I'll start moving in the direction of a new machine ... ML improvements I saw over 12 or so years, produced a half ounce extra in the poke, so I'm not one to jump one each new wrinkle ... If you know what I mean, and I think you do! ... But the new developments sound promising, and I certainly will remain observant ... The last one looked good but my old GoldBug2 would do the same ... Great good wishes to all ... Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

hmmmm I tend to get every other one for myself. The 5000 does just great for now. Like everyone has said it is a wait and see game. Maybe I will wait for the GPZ 9000.

just a side note My GB2 has found more gold than my 5000.

hmmmm I tend to get every other one for myself. The 5000 does just great for now. Like everyone has said it is a wait and see game. Maybe I will wait for the GPZ 9000.

just a side note My GB2 has found more gold than my 5000.

Allen, according to your statement if you haven't bought a SDC 2300, that means you can now buy the GPZ 7000!!!! :yesss::thumbsupanim

Is that more gold by number of pieces/nuggets or weight?

Tom I have both the GPX5000 and SDC2300 as well as a GBPro ... The new model is enticing but I will sit back for awhile on it and continue to use my current arsenal.

Mike F

I think you're pretty well armed Mike!!!

As far as the "as yet to be released" Minelab goes??? I think the new trend of "waterproofing" detectors, is way over due & there is no way I'd ever invest in a "high end" detector that wasn't ...If it were possible, I'd probably get a job & start saving for either the SDC or the new GPX. Well, maybe after I repair the fridge in the motorhome... :4chsmu1: ....priorities ya know...

I had a thought this morning about Minelabs advertisement of the GPZ 7000. Its a well done full size add and the information they shared so far (tid- bits) have excited some to pre order regardless of price. Some just want the new and brightest and are not afraid to let go of their dough for it. Some of us require more before we let go of our dough. So I am betting that Minelab knows all this and saved the best for last. Another add will be out with the rest of the " Story " about the new wonder machine. And this will pull in many more prospective buyers. I am betting its iron discrimination ...that's where I jump into the band wagon and shell out the dough. For years Minelab has been taking notes about our wants and desires for the new machine bet they will not disappoint.

Lets see...hmmm...If you had $9000 to blow, and you could only spend it on 2 choices..hmmm

Choice #1 is the new Minelab detector.

Choice #2 is the sorriest seat in da house in this years Super Bowl.

Which would you rather have?

I'll take the Minelab...hehe!

Archived