Nugget Shooter Forums

Very disturbing...

I watched a show on the weather channel the other night (i think) that talked about the oil companies doing this injection frac stuff. They said it's causing all the little earthquakes, but eventually it will cause a BIG Earthquake. I did a little post on tempson texas awile back. It's about 70 miles south of me. I felt one of their quakes and it got my attention. My tie down straps on my trailer sounded like bonggggggggggggg and it made my trailer waggle. Not to mention what it could do to our aquafiers,

Anyways now Dallas has had like 12 or 13 quakes in recent weeks. I'm starting to get pizzed. Makes no sense to me and I hope someone steps in and does a class action lawsuit against the oil companies before it's too late. Just my 2 cents worth.

Don't let the greenies get you riled for nothing.

Meanwhile, most everything we depend on is derived from oil/gas.

Fracking has been going on for 40 years+. It's definately hitting it's stride, now, though.

Much greater forces in the EArth to cause quakes than frac water injected down a couple miles.

It's possible that :idunno: injection wells( and not fracking) is causing the small quakes.

My 2c.

Although links between oil and gas production and increased earthquake activity have usually

been related to disposal of waste into deep injection wells and not the fracking process itself,

fracking is what produces the waste, so there is a link there.

It is pretty well known the whole cycle of the fracking process which includes waste disposal

has detrimental effects on the underlying strata.

And that is not a greenie theory.

Where're all the stories of aquafirs being polluted by fracking if it's so detrimental? It's usually done a mile or more below any water wells.

As long as they are cased correctly, I see little risk.

Here's one just 5 miles away from me. Several peeps got sick, and several complained about toxic fumes. They did get sued and shut down.

How long would that casing hold up to an earthquake? I bet the first shake and it would snap into Weaver.

http://home.comcast.net/~jurason/main/Winona.htm

A 17 year old news story isn't very compelling, Rim.

Edited by weaver hillbille

Weaver that one was fresh on my mind but here's more lawsuits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=injection+well+law+suits&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&gws_rd=ssl

You see, it's probably not compelling to you, but if it were happening in your neck of the woods, you would be worried. I can remember driving by that place everyday to get lunch. Man you wouldn't believe the odor. They were trying to cover it up by adding arromatics to the crap.

We had better just stop drilling today.. No need for it any longer. No more smells, no more earthquakes. No more nothing.

It's all frackings fault. Not a pun BTW Just ride your bicycle to work, oh wait.... The tires are made out of petroleum products. So never mind, just walk. But wait... your soles of the shoes your wearing are made from petroleum products, so you better go bare foot on the road. Oh hold on, the road is ALSO made of petroleum products, so you better stop using that as well. So is your car, your house and every other frigging thing in your little myopic world!! Oh yea. that gold pan, yup made from oil. Better get rid of it.

Funny they have been doing it for decades, but now that "WE" know about it, it is the cause celbre for every friggin misfortune to ever hit humanity. Before long they will be blaming auto accidents on fracking.

Just because some one says they got sick on water, don't jump right to fracking as the cause. A lot of places have bad water to start with, Life style also make you sick and don't forget those who just want some free money. Fracking is not a cause for worry, other wise we would have seen it many decades ago. It is simply the most recent term sheeople like to jump on and blame everything on.

Since most of the success in our oil industry has been done on private land with private money the gooberment has not got enough control to shut it down like they are doing to the coal industry. Therefor they must provide negative propaganda to the sheeple so they will demand a shut down........ Earthquakes have happened since the dawn of time and will happen for the life of the planet. California and Alaska certainly do not hold a monopoly on them. As a former Service Manager for one of the largest mobile home sales company in the West, I can say that without a doubt, mobile homes and earthquakes do not get along at all.........

skunk? What good are any of these things you mentioned if you don't have life?

http://rt.com/usa/194620-california-aquifers-fracking-contamination/

Rim, I have to admit that it looks like there're many bad "actors" on the set, presently. As is usually the case, the regulator is getting too friendly with the regulatee. I wasn't aware of this issue in CA, at all.

This is nothing like the movie GASLAND and how that was rigged..

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2013/01/dueling_documentaries_fracknation_gives_the_counter-argument_to_the_anti-fracking_gasland.html#ixzz2IF74P1l8

If only they'ld spank the regulators as hard as the actual companies that had control over the fracking.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-17/3-billion-gallons-fracking-wastewater-pumped-clean-california-aquifiers-errors-were-

"California state officials allowed oil and gas companies to pump up to 3 billion gallons (call it 70 million barrels) of oil fracking-contaminated waste water into formerly clean aquifiers, aquifiers which at least on paper are supposed to be off-limits to that kind of activity, and are protected by the government's EPA - an agency which, it appears, was richly compensated by the same oil and gas companies to look elsewhere."

Edited by weaver hillbille

For perspective, 3 billion gallons X ft^3/7.5 gallons X yd^3/27ft^3

=14,814,814 yd's^3 of waste water

An acre-foot of water contains 43560ft^2 X 7.5 gallons/ft^3=326700 gallons

3,000,000,000 gallons injected

326,700 gallons/acre-foot = 9183 acre-feet

Never mind... not worth arguing about. For those of you here who drank the "greenie" Kool-aid, feel free to ask me anything you want on fracking oil wells. I've been there done that long before fracing was as popular as it is today. As for the earthquakes, look at the fault lines. That should be a no-brainer. :grr01:

Edited by azblackbird

I disagree AZBB.

If you look at the 2 pictures down low in this link, you will see all of the disposal wells in Johnson county in Texas. You will also see all of the quakes in the lower picture. They do match up.

Also you will notice the quake in Mesquite up in the right corner which i'm guessing this just the beginnings of the quakes located around Irving, Texas that have been happening lately.

Texas has been pretty much earthquake free compared to western states.

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2012/07/12/why-earthquakes-are-shaking-north-texas/

Texas has been pretty much earthquake free compared to western states.

No they haven't. They've always had earthquakes. It's just now that they're starting to monitor them a lot closer. You do know that the Dallas area is sitting on 2 major intersecting fault lines.. right?

Funny... there are 1000's of injection wells around the country. How come we never hear about earthquakes in those areas? Oh that's right... they're not on active fault lines. :grr01:

I already posted this link on this thread showing there have been other quakes in different states. But here it is again for you AZBB.

https://www.google.com/search?q=injection+well+law+suits&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&gws_rd=ssl

And yes I did say "Texas has been pretty much earthquake free compared to western states." Notice i did say "compared to western states." If you look thru the history of Texas you won't find very many compared to say California or AZ. The one I felt was a first for me in 60 years. Well they added 22 seismographs to the Dallas area since the latest swarm.

BTW, i'm not a greenie, just a concerned citizen.

BTW, i'm not a greenie, just a concerned citizen.

You really need to quit drinking their Kool-aid. :grr01:

Let me tell you something about "greenies". They're nothing but parasites whose sole existence of survival, are to leech of the productiveness of the American business world. If they're not suing miners, they're suing timber companies. If their not suing timber companies, they're suing farmers. If they're not suing farmers, they're suing fishermen. Are you following me?

They're latest con game is going after oil companies who dispose of their fracing fluids via flood or injection wells, which BTW is 99.6% water. The remainder being chemicals and additives that we all have stored in our kitchens and households. Most often this was brackish water to begin with, and was a by-product of drilling oil wells, or were purposely drilled deep water wells. Injection wells are then drilled most often to put the water right back where it came from in the first place, and also to help push the oil or gas towards wells that are producing. I've drilled many injection wells just for that purpose.

I dare you to ask a greenie this question... where does all the run-off go after a huge rainstorm. Reason being, Mother Nature produces enough water in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area from one good rain storm... that 20 years of all the area frac jobs combined, and the disposing of the water thereof, could ever even come close to producing. Wonder how come they don't sue Mother Nature? :89:

Obviously you won't get an answer from them. They're primary motive is to scare the sheep who can't think or do for themselves, or won't take the time to use common sense and investigate what all the hoopla is about. They figure by using the "earthquakes are caused by injection wells" meme, they'll scare enough sheep into believing what they say, just so they can get more government money for their con games and research scams. They know that the average sheep will not do any research on the geology of tectonic plates, fault lines, thrust belts, etc. and why they may become active, or may lay dormant for many millions of years. In other words, they count on people being stupid. DON'T BE A SHEEP! :112:

So this is suppose to be good for us AZBB???

The environmental impact of hydraulic fracturing includes risk of contamination of ground water, depletion of fresh water, degradation of the air quality, the potential triggering of earthquakes, noise pollution, surface pollution, and the consequential risks to health and the environment.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

Ignoring the facts could get us all killed.

Hydraulic fracturing has been going on for the last 60 years. Did you ever stop to think why all of a sudden it has become such a major issue? The greenies have found a new scam they can perpetrate among the ignorant masses who don't understand the process, nor care to learn about those processes. Just like the "climate change" scam. They rely on you being ignorant of the real facts. That's just the way they like to play their games.

If you want to continue to drink their Kool-aid be my guest. I know better!

Hydraulic fracturing has been going on for the last 60 years. Did you ever stop to think why all of a sudden it has become such a major issue?

I believe it's become an issue because of it's more widespread use, accidents/leaks,lack of proper training/supervision/ lack of proper oversight , the increased use of groundwater resources due to population growth, the increased use of groundwater resources previously thought to be unnecessary..

I believe it's become an issue because of it's more widespread use, accidents/leaks,lack of proper training/supervision/ lack of proper oversight , the increased use of groundwater resources due to population growth, the increased use of groundwater resources previously thought to be unnecessary..

Once again, total BS! The average golf course, Beef/Hog rendering plant, or beer brewery uses more water in one day than the combined water usage of 20 frac jobs. I won't even mention the amount of water the average farmer uses per day in comparison to the average frac job.

Accidents happen on every job. Oil drilling is one of the most heavily regulated (safety wise) industries I can think of. Whenever we drilled, completed, or fraced a well, we had on-site safety men. Plus the state would always send a guy out to check to make sure everything was in compliance.

Like I said... the greenies need a new scam, and since the average sheep doesn't have a clue about drilling or fracing oil wells, they have an easy target with the ignorant masses to spread their kool-aid drinking propaganda. :112:

Once again, total BS! The average golf course, Beef/Hog rendering plant, or beer brewery uses more water in one day than the combined water usage of 20 frac jobs. I won't even mention the amount of water the average farmer uses per day in comparison to the average frac job.

I never disputed that or even brought it up.

NOr did anyone here call for the outlawing of fracking. I admit it was a strawman I started to build.

The accidents / leaks are worrisome and need to be analyzed for solutions. Admitting there are problems is the first step.

The accidents / leaks are worrisome and need to be analyzed for solutions. Admitting there are problems is the first step.

Accidents? Leaks? Of what... water? All that chemical and toxic waste BS is way overblown by the greenies. Today's safety records of the largest drilling and fracing companies rivals those of many office jobs. It's not like the old days where it was common to lose a finger or a few toes. Everything these days is about safety.

Here's a good one for the greenies... if fracing fluid is so bad for everybody's health, then why do they use it to de-ice the roads in New York of all places. I always thought liberals were supposed to be the smartest people in the room. Wonder how they missed that one? :89: