Nugget Shooter Forums

Yep the widow woman next door is always going to another state here in Brazil and she picks up some really great looking rocks out of gravel piles. Here some people go to a river and use a big pump system to pump gravel out of the stream into big piles and then they sell it by the truck loads.

The neighbor then finds beautiful rocks that look like they just came out of a tumbler. Now she just came up with this piece that's not river worn and she would like to know what it is.

P1120003.jpg

Really pretty green inside especially when wet. Anybody want to take a guess?

P1120002.jpg[/uR

P1120001.jpg

It looks vitreous,siliceous and green.

Jadeite ,final answer to the $64 question.

Edited by weaver hillbille

Looks like gem silica to me too

Edited by El Dorado

Maybe this will help, tried to color balance. Too bad she can't get a clear emerald that size and color, still embedded in the host rock

post-21285-0-85870400-1421281762_thumb.j

post-21285-0-24035900-1421281834_thumb.j

Edited by Red_desert

Spoke to the dear widow this AM

Said she has a friend in another state that really knows rocks and she told her the rock is a Emerald. Her "rock expert" friend didn't see a pic of the rock or the rock itself.

Spoke to the dear widow this AM

Said she has a friend in another state that really knows rocks and she told her the rock is a Emerald. Her "rock expert" friend didn't see a pic of the rock or the rock itself.

Wow I wish I was so good that I could identify a rock without seeing it! See if you can scratch it with a knife. I still think it is a silica. If it is soft it could be Fluorite but it does not look right to me. I also have some Apatite from Brazil of similar color.

Can a Emerald be scratched with a knife?

You shouldn't be able to scratch an emerald with a knife, beryl which is what an emerald is, has a hardness of 7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale, regular steel has a hardness of 4 to 4.5, some other types of steel will be harder such as stainless steel at 5.5 to 6.3 but still not as hard as an emerald, even a steel file usually has a hardness of around 6.5.

This stone is probably aventurine and is common on the beaches in Brazil. I have a friend that picked up several pieces while walking on the beach.

What's it used for? Any value to it?

New Age people seem to like it a lot. I bought a stone pendulum once on ebay was supposed to be aventurine but turned out to only be dyed quartz. There is one in the photo has signs of fracture, it might be dyed quartz instead of aventurine, others look ok.

post-21285-0-62920000-1421464119_thumb.j

Edited by Red_desert