Nugget Shooter Forums

new vain found

boulder dash

Many times in the past I have heard people ask.. Are there any undiscovered lode gold vains still out there? How did they find them. A week ago or so I was doing some samples at a nearby prospect that showed decent free gold when crushed. This area the gold bearing vains are a oxidized red feldspar of which the redder the better. Was walking around on the flats and noticed some very red small feldspar bits of float. Following them up the very small incline the float become larger until I look down and see the exposed red you can see in the pictures. I grabbed a few pounds and crushed them. A small pan of crushed material resulted in about 100+ small bright pieces free gold that lit up the pan. Went back a few days later and exposed the outcrop. Outcrop is approximately 5ft + 2ft in a tear drop shape. From the photo you can see that the deeper I went the larger the vain was becoming. Took a 250lb sample and crushed and concentrated and from the photo you can see my results. Total in pan is .5 grams.

post-1498-0-39583400-1420727897_thumb.jp

post-1498-0-69866400-1420727934_thumb.jp

post-1498-0-52438400-1420728001_thumb.jp

post-1498-0-80030200-1420728042_thumb.jp

post-1498-0-78279300-1420728073_thumb.jp

Whooh...WTG on finding that. I probably would have just walked over it :O
Looks like many days of digging ahead of you

GL To ya.

Tom H.

Nice detective work uncovers high grade ore. It just doesn't get any better. By my calcs you are around 1.5 ounces per ton. Who knows what is below. Best of luck

Oakview how are you calculating ? by my calculations

250 lbs = .5 gram

2000 lbs = 4 gram although your calcs sound fantastic I would still be jumping for joy at 4gram per ton

I have no idea of the relevance of the following AZ Bureau of Minesbulletin to the discussion at hand.

But it deals with ores, and feldspar and Arizona( and gold) and is where I ended up after searching -red feldspar carries gold arizona--------

"

Gold and copper deposits near Payson, Arizona - The ...

www.azgs.az.gov/.../gold_bull120_ocr.pdf
Arizona Geological Survey
Golden Wonder Mine. . 40 ..... conglomerate, and then by alternating gray and bandedred-brown quartz- ite. ...... often carries flakes of free gold. This is one of ..."
Edited by weaver hillbille

Yes from my one sample it runs at 4 grams to ton. If i ground it down finer im sure another 10%-20% could be added to the 4 grams. Might be able to get it as high as 6 grams. Was very exciting to find such a large undiscovered outcrop.

Awesome prospecting BD and great results!! :thumbsupanim

You may want to make a few cabochons for a keepsake, especially if you think you would be able to see some of the free milling gold in them, below is photo of a necklace made of red Feldspar to give you some idea of what the cabochons might look like.

red_feldspar_necklace1.jpg

From the 1870's-1920's the price of gold being perhaps $ 18-$ 20 an ounce that was low grade ore.So if the vein was sampled it might have been just left there.Of course any gold in a quartz vein is worth further sampling.One never knows when you break into a ore shoot or enrichment....Good find.

So when are you going to invite me up? I'm a pretty good brow wiper... :D Congrat's!!!!

Edited by Rimshot

Oakview how are you calculating ? by my calculations

250 lbs = .5 gram

2000 lbs = 4 gram although your calcs sound fantastic I would still be jumping for joy at 4gram per ton

Oakview how are you calculating ? by my calculati

He said there was 5grams in 250lbs, 2000 diveded by 250= 8 X 5grams equals 40 grams, In my haste it would be 1 1/4 ounce per ton. Did I misunderstand the origianl harvest.

Many times in the past I have heard people ask.. Are there any undiscovered lode gold vains still out there? How did they find them. A week ago or so I was doing some samples at a nearby prospect that showed decent free gold when crushed. This area the gold bearing vains are a oxidized red feldspar of which the redder the better. Was walking around on the flats and noticed some very red small feldspar bits of float. Following them up the very small incline the float become larger until I look down and see the exposed red you can see in the pictures. I grabbed a few pounds and crushed them. A small pan of crushed material resulted in about 100+ small bright pieces free gold that lit up the pan. Went back a few days later and exposed the outcrop. Outcrop is approximately 5ft + 2ft in a tear drop shape. From the photo you can see that the deeper I went the larger the vain was becoming. Took a 250lb sample and crushed and concentrated and from the photo you can see my results. Total in pan is .5 grams.

Oakview how are you calculating ? by my calculati

He said there was 5grams in 250lbs, 2000 diveded by 250= 8 X 5grams equals 40 grams, In my haste it would be 1 1/4 ounce per ton. Did I misunderstand the origianl harvest.

Oakview, BD wrote that he got .5 grams from 250 lbs (point 5 grams)= 1/2 gram.

I am in total awe of you. You are living the dream.

4 grams per ton is what I read the old timers were finding around out the Wickenburg area at the turn of the twentieth century. Not the rich hill type mine, but the type of material the old timers and depression area miners were working to scape a living off. The guy who built the darn on the San Domingo wash claimed the dirt he was working was worth that from the surface to the bedrock.

Keep it up. Looking for some more motivational stories. It helps those of us who can’t make it out as much as we’d like make it through the day.

I hope to meet some of you at one of the outings once I get back to AZ.

The gold looks nice and 4 grams/ton is great for a large op but for a "hand" op, you would work yourself to death. By the time you pick and shovel a ton, haul it, crush it, screen it, pan or table it, you are working for about min. wage.

I've got a couple veins that run close to 2 ounces to a ton. 800 feet from the road so too much work to haul it out.